What computer stuff r u going 2 buy next & where (1 Viewer)

dritz2003

HSC
N/A
I'm gonna buy: LG 4160B Dual Layer 16x DVD Writer for $123 from: http://www.fluidtek.com.au/ (most badly designed but cheap site eva created)
It's dual layer so u can clone DVD videos and give them 2 yr friends (only home movies of course :))

Terra_Niux

l337 h4x0r
HSC
N/A
I have a dual layered DVD burner but quite frankly, the dual layered media are just way too expensive atm.

Next pieces of hardware i'm going to buy are

250 GB SATA 7200 RPM 8 MB Cache Western Digital HDD
LEADTEK WinFast A400 GT TDH Video Card (Nvidia Geforce 6800 GPU)

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
new vga card wen i finish hsc

i dunno wat the new stuff is
maybe that nvidia 6800

santaslayer

HSC
im buying a laptop overseas...(hong kong) in december..
im also gonna buy an mp3 player and possibly a usb thumb drive...HK again...:)

I just ordered my new CPU waterblock (s775) for my watercooling setup.

Ill hopefully be buying another MCP650 pump soon too. Going to run them dual in-line :)

Not that many people will know what im talking about :)

dritz2003

HSC
N/A
wrx said:
hmmm whats better, the lg(above mentioned) or the pioneer a08?

Next thing im buying is hdtv card and possibly dvd dual layer burner.
Yeah the Pioneer is supposed to be the market leader, but the LG is cheap!!! And believe me the DVD DL discs will come down to like 50c in a couple of months.

azn_boy said:
dritz2003, you havent seen www.msy.com.au
Ok that's pretty messy too.... who makes these sites a 5 year old? Do they post stuff in the mail?

07713 said:
I just ordered my new CPU waterblock (s775) for my watercooling setup.
I would get some uber watercoolingness but I would prob. set it up wrong and drown my computer :(

Immolate

Elvish Warrior!
HSC
I'm probably going to purchase a new 200GB (Seagate) hard drive. My 40GB cacked it the other week. :/

Also a new power supply would be nice.. this one seems like it's struggling.

dritz2003

HSC
N/A
OK I have also decided to get a new case, Antec SuperLanBoy for $128.26 from

http://www.wonderlan.com.au/

Pictures

It is fully alloy (= light for lans)
and it has 2 X 120mm fans included, plus it includes a free strap! I need a new case since my hot, boring, heavy, sharp-painful-edged case is annoying me with its blandness :vcross: , and summers coming up so need more cooling

Immolate said:
I'm probably going to purchase a new 200GB (Seagate) hard drive. My 40GB cacked it the other week. :/

Also a new power supply would be nice.. this one seems like it's struggling.
Very unlucky.... my sis's old 2nd hand 10GB HDD was still going strong when I replaced it. Also Don't buy a no-name PSU whateva you do...they WILL fail and they fail at the worst time

Last edited:

neuro_logik

HSC
Antec make really good cases, the LanBoy is nice, light and cheap for a good Aluminium case. I was thinking of getting it during my stage of wanting a new machine, then i progressed to the notion of an iBook (OS X on a laptop, mmmm portable Unix :) )

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
purchased a 200Gb seagate harddrive a couple of weeks ago.

probably looking to buy some ram in the next week or so.

dritz2003

HSC
N/A
neuro_logik said:
then i progressed to the notion of an iBook (OS X on a laptop, mmmm portable Unix :) )
Forgive my complete ignorance... but what's so good about Unix? I'm guessing u can't play any games or sync with windows programs easily. I hope I'm wrong cos a second - hand Ibook looks good if only for the battery life and stylishness

neuro_logik

HSC
Forgive my complete ignorance... but what's so good about Unix?
Unix is good (well OS X uses a BSD Mach Kernel), because of stability and reliability.

I'm guessing u can't play any games or sync with windows programs easily
I'm not much of a gamer, I'm more of a programmer / computer geek who is into researching into the inner workings of technology (OS, Software, Networking), and its manipulation.

You can easily use Windows programs on a Mac, using VirtualPC. Eitherway, I use open source alternatives (eg: Open Office, Firefox, XMMS, GCC and GAIM) rather than proprietary software, which allow for support on other platforms, such as Open Office which allows for support for MS Office and Open Office documents.

Immolate

Elvish Warrior!
HSC
dritz2003 said:
Forgive my complete ignorance... but what's so good about Unix? I'm guessing u can't play any games or sync with windows programs easily. I hope I'm wrong cos a second - hand Ibook looks good if only for the battery life and stylishness
UNIX is renounded for it's realibility/stability.

I currently have a Linux web/file server setup here, and it's great. It is much more realiable and secure than my old Windows 2000 server.

dritz2003

HSC
N/A
neuro_logik said:
You can easily use Windows programs on a Mac, using VirtualPC. Eitherway, I use open source alternatives (eg: Open Office, Firefox, XMMS, GCC and GAIM) rather than proprietary software, which allow for support on other platforms, such as Open Office which allows for support for MS Office and Open Office documents.
Ok then I guess that Mac is easier to use than I thought. Might have to add an Ibook onto the shopping list :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)