What course should i do at uni (1 Viewer)

Kingportable

HSC
Re: What Degree Should I do at Uni?

*I ended up writing too much i've been reading a lot about this so it's nice to share*
Hey buddy this is a rough impression i got from reading around online. You need to consider employment in course selection from what i read top employment would be something like...
1. Health (holy hell health in Australia is a big demand)
2. Technology people Computer Science, Engineers, Computer Engineers, Software Engineer.
3. Business provided you have a good career and almost always a masters (where traditionally in business the MBA is popular)

It doesn't matter where you take it as long as you're at the top in the end and achieved the necessary development. There are hell of a lot of CEOs right now from Universities no one knows off, you could certainly be a CEO making lots of money with an arts degree complemented by a great track record, maybe not even (google Tumblr's creator). So course selection isn't as important and may not determine your salary unless you suck or are undisciplined which will. The only courses that can pretty much affirm employment is the ones in the health industry and if you want the best salary as well as high employment then become doctor (see you in 10 years) also Engineering and Computer-something(IT) as well specially in Australia. Also note degrees in Medicine and Engineering where only qualified or skilled people can do your job "Did you know legally you cannot hand out a pill to someone without having a Doctor's/Pharmacist's/Register-Nurses's license?"

I took a scenic route because it's different in business your job sometimes will never ever resemble a trade transaction, it may be very abstract. Unlike in Engineering or Medicine where you know what will happen and how to react there is no game of chance. Anyone can work in business when you get down to it, i can walk out on the street and sell some lemonade and be in business. You wan't to secure high employment + high salary; to do that aim for a double degree.

It's simple more is better. The only place in Business where you are given a practical qualification to perform a needed task like giving out pill in Medicine is Accounting, i don't want to spike an argument but there are going to be courses that offer a C.A version of accounting and a C.P.A have a quick look out and choose the one that gives a C.A because you live in Australia if you're an American exchange student then do the CPA (it really doesn't matter if you are really good). Second thing to note is that commerce is a general all purpose course that just affirms that the course has something to do with business, there are courses that don't have Commerce next to it but are still about business but; if your just saying Commerce i don't know what your skills are until you then mention the major. You can do Commerce majoring in Economics and just plain Economics and you would had studied the same thing except you probably had to do generalised courses for the Commerce one rather than just jumping to Economics feet first. You can also become an Actuary which is pretty much an advanced business mathematics course.

*SKIP HERE*
*Basically "Def's do C.A accounting"
*Also try to make it a double
I am doing Economics right now but i'm planning on moving to add C.A accounting to that as a double. Most business courses are general purpose except fields like accounting and because you have a qualification that means "only you can do it" there is good employment and a good salary. This is good because you will be working in the field, i think if i stick to just Economics i might fall into having to go deeper into it, teaching, doing a Phd and becoming an academic or writing journals which is something i frown upon because i want to work in the field everyone in the business should. My thought process is if i got a C.A i can avoid that, also i can work in a multitude of areas. The big-big salary is in high administration and finance, where the big jobs such a consulting, management, trading provides a high salary. My instinct tells me that i shouldn't just be an accountant because i might lose the capacity to move up in the hierarchy. Also note the need to do a Masters degree, not everyone will, just from what i read a Masters in Business Administration (even if your doing Acc/Eco, MBA) or maybe not a Masters in Eco (unless you want to teach) is really helpful in entering high employment and salaries apparently MBA people helps put Business in the list.
*Basically Def's aim to get a Masters if your doing a business degree where particularly an MBA is popular

Now comes the topic from my first couple of paragraphs. I am aiming to move to Economics+CA Accounting for the piece of mind, but it's also perfect to mix industries specially ones with special skills.
*Computer Science/Engineering/Software Engineer/I.T + CA Accounting/Business Administration, makes a degree in Technology which right now is super employable to ultra employable. You will be close to six figures with that build at minimum and as high as Zuckerberg if you get lucky. These industries complement each other perfectly so take that in to consideration.
*C.A accounting + BBS (B. in Medicine, Surgery) --> Good luck with the next decade but yes incredible employable, it does not however complement each other as the one above Tech+Business.
*Law+Accounting/Eco is good too just that disciplines in Law and Economics require expertise and a "Jack of all trades" may sometimes not be trusted at the "king of the trade", traditionally Law has a lot of competition too. I think they complement but probably really in just a Political way which is bad because High Administration (CEO, Manager) and High Trading is king.

Last edited:

wheel

HSC
Hahah, i didn't want to dissuade you from actuarial studies, just providing with some information on things you mightn't know. From what i've seen in my textbooks (i'm only a first year so take everything i say with a grain of salt haha) actuarial studies is a mix of finance, eco and maths, so if you're interested in those then i'd definitely consider it.

Umm yeh. In fact, from what i've heard, most people undertaking a phd usually do an honours year.
nah its fine, it all makes more sense now.

would there be more exciting job opportunities with an eco degree though rather than actuarial degree? like im not too keen on working in the superannuation or insurance industry

ahaha a phd is over the horizon for me, for now

cheepy5

HSC
lol i was gonna say engineering earlier ..... ELECTRICAL man thats what im doing !

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah MX2 and physics, should definetly do physics. you can pretty much sleep through first year if you are good at MX2 and physics.

Atar Hater

hardout gangsta
HSC
would there be more exciting job opportunities with an eco degree though rather than actuarial degree? like im not too keen on working in the superannuation or insurance industry
Hmmm i'm not too sure about how to answer that. But personally i find economics more interesting too, and am thinking of just having actuarial studies as a back-up degree (ie just finish my part I's and II's). But yeh, this is all agess away.

Go to this site and check out each proffesion's profile for yourself - hopefully it should help you in your choices :) - http://joboutlook.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx .

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC

if you don't know, take some time out to get some life experience and think about it. there's nothing that says you MUST go to uni right away (except maybe social pressures). and you could learn a lot about yourself and your interests in the meantime.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Select a course you somewhat know you will enjoy, has a decent salary and is in good demand.
Civil Engineering is a safe option to take, if you are thinking of something like that.

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Bachelor of Commerce + Honours.

Work for a bit then go to like Harvard/Yale/Cambridge & do a Masters of Finance or something.

You'd be all set!

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
Yeah you've still got ages to decide. Personally, at the beginning of year 12 I had no idea what I wanted to do - I just thought something to do with the environment. So for most of the year I was just looking at doing some sort of science degree. But halfway through the year, I went to a careers expo and I talked to one of the people about what I wanted to do, and they told me I could consider doing combined law. So I chose science (advanced)/law @ UNSW because I could major in climate science and also do law, which will hopefully allow me to make a difference. I just started and I'm really enjoying the law part of it.

So my advice: do not narrow your options - if you told me I would be doing law at the beginning of Year 12 I wouldn't have believed you, but if I didn't consider this option, I would never had tried it. Look at all degree options.

wheel

HSC
Thanks for the feedback everyone,

so far im looking at a combined degree with either economics, commerce, advanced science (advanced mathematics) or actuary studies.

thanks for the help, i'll keep my eye out for information before i have to lock my choices in at september

cheers

Nws m8

Banned
HSC
Uni Grad

*I ended up writing too much i've been reading a lot about this so it's nice to share*
Hey buddy this is a rough impression i got from reading around online. You need to consider employment in course selection from what i read top employment would be something like...
1. Health (holy hell health in Australia is a big demand)
2. Technology people Computer Science, Engineers, Computer Engineers, Software Engineer.
3. Business provided you have a good career and almost always a masters (where traditionally in business the MBA is popular)

It doesn't matter where you take it as long as you're at the top in the end and achieved the necessary development. There are hell of a lot of CEOs right now from Universities no one knows off, you could certainly be a CEO making lots of money with an arts degree complemented by a great track record, maybe not even (google Tumblr's creator). So course selection isn't as important and may not determine your salary unless you suck or are undisciplined which will. The only courses that can pretty much affirm employment is the ones in the health industry and if you want the best salary as well as high employment then become doctor (see you in 10 years) also Engineering and Computer-something(IT) as well specially in Australia. Also note degrees in Medicine and Engineering where only qualified or skilled people can do your job "Did you know legally you cannot hand out a pill to someone without having a Doctor's/Pharmacist's/Register-Nurses's license?"

I took a scenic route because it's different in business your job sometimes will never ever resemble a trade transaction, it may be very abstract. Unlike in Engineering or Medicine where you know what will happen and how to react there is no game of chance. Anyone can work in business when you get down to it, i can walk out on the street and sell some lemonade and be in business. You wan't to secure high employment + high salary; to do that aim for a double degree.

It's simple more is better. The only place in Business where you are given a practical qualification to perform a needed task like giving out pill in Medicine is Accounting, i don't want to spike an argument but there are going to be courses that offer a C.A version of accounting and a C.P.A have a quick look out and choose the one that gives a C.A because you live in Australia if you're an American exchange student then do the CPA (it really doesn't matter if you are really good). Second thing to note is that commerce is a general all purpose course that just affirms that the course has something to do with business, there are courses that don't have Commerce next to it but are still about business but; if your just saying Commerce i don't know what your skills are until you then mention the major. You can do Commerce majoring in Economics and just plain Economics and you would had studied the same thing except you probably had to do generalised courses for the Commerce one rather than just jumping to Economics feet first. You can also become an Actuary which is pretty much an advanced business mathematics course.

*SKIP HERE*
*Basically "Def's do C.A accounting"
*Also try to make it a double
I am doing Economics right now but i'm planning on moving to add C.A accounting to that as a double. Most business courses are general purpose except fields like accounting and because you have a qualification that means "only you can do it" there is good employment and a good salary. This is good because you will be working in the field, i think if i stick to just Economics i might fall into having to go deeper into it, teaching, doing a Phd and becoming an academic or writing journals which is something i frown upon because i want to work in the field everyone in the business should. My thought process is if i got a C.A i can avoid that, also i can work in a multitude of areas. The big-big salary is in high administration and finance, where the big jobs such a consulting, management, trading provides a high salary. My instinct tells me that i shouldn't just be an accountant because i might lose the capacity to move up in the hierarchy. Also note the need to do a Masters degree, not everyone will, just from what i read a Masters in Business Administration (even if your doing Acc/Eco, MBA) or maybe not a Masters in Eco (unless you want to teach) is really helpful in entering high employment and salaries apparently MBA people helps put Business in the list.
*Basically Def's aim to get a Masters if your doing a business degree where particularly an MBA is popular

Now comes the topic from my first couple of paragraphs. I am aiming to move to Economics+CA Accounting for the piece of mind, but it's also perfect to mix industries specially ones with special skills.
*Computer Science/Engineering/Software Engineer/I.T + CA Accounting/Business Administration, makes a degree in Technology which right now is super employable to ultra employable. You will be close to six figures with that build at minimum and as high as Zuckerberg if you get lucky. These industries complement each other perfectly so take that in to consideration.
*C.A accounting + BBS (B. in Medicine, Surgery) --> Good luck with the next decade but yes incredible employable, it does not however complement each other as the one above Tech+Business.
*Law+Accounting/Eco is good too just that disciplines in Law and Economics require expertise and a "Jack of all trades" may sometimes not be trusted at the "king of the trade", traditionally Law has a lot of competition too. I think they complement but probably really in just a Political way which is bad because High Administration (CEO, Manager) and High Trading is king.
woww....

wheel

HSC

*i ended up writing too much i've been reading a lot about this so it's nice to share*
hey buddy this is a rough impression i got from reading around online. You need to consider employment in course selection from what i read top employment would be something like...
1. Health (holy hell health in australia is a big demand)
2. Technology people computer science, engineers, computer engineers, software engineer.
3. Business provided you have a good career and almost always a masters (where traditionally in business the mba is popular)

it doesn't matter where you take it as long as you're at the top in the end and achieved the necessary development. There are hell of a lot of ceos right now from universities no one knows off, you could certainly be a ceo making lots of money with an arts degree complemented by a great track record, maybe not even (google tumblr's creator). So course selection isn't as important and may not determine your salary unless you suck or are undisciplined which will. The only courses that can pretty much affirm employment is the ones in the health industry and if you want the best salary as well as high employment then become doctor (see you in 10 years) also engineering and computer-something(it) as well specially in australia. Also note degrees in medicine and engineering where only qualified or skilled people can do your job "did you know legally you cannot hand out a pill to someone without having a doctor's/pharmacist's/register-nurses's license?"

i took a scenic route because it's different in business your job sometimes will never ever resemble a trade transaction, it may be very abstract. Unlike in engineering or medicine where you know what will happen and how to react there is no game of chance. Anyone can work in business when you get down to it, i can walk out on the street and sell some lemonade and be in business. You wan't to secure high employment + high salary; to do that aim for a double degree.

It's simple more is better. The only place in business where you are given a practical qualification to perform a needed task like giving out pill in medicine is accounting, i don't want to spike an argument but there are going to be courses that offer a c.a version of accounting and a c.p.a have a quick look out and choose the one that gives a c.a because you live in australia if you're an american exchange student then do the cpa (it really doesn't matter if you are really good). Second thing to note is that commerce is a general all purpose course that just affirms that the course has something to do with business, there are courses that don't have commerce next to it but are still about business but; if your just saying commerce i don't know what your skills are until you then mention the major. You can do commerce majoring in economics and just plain economics and you would had studied the same thing except you probably had to do generalised courses for the commerce one rather than just jumping to economics feet first. You can also become an actuary which is pretty much an advanced business mathematics course.

*skip here*
*basically "def's do c.a accounting"
*also try to make it a double
i am doing economics right now but i'm planning on moving to add c.a accounting to that as a double. Most business courses are general purpose except fields like accounting and because you have a qualification that means "only you can do it" there is good employment and a good salary. This is good because you will be working in the field, i think if i stick to just economics i might fall into having to go deeper into it, teaching, doing a phd and becoming an academic or writing journals which is something i frown upon because i want to work in the field everyone in the business should. My thought process is if i got a c.a i can avoid that, also i can work in a multitude of areas. The big-big salary is in high administration and finance, where the big jobs such a consulting, management, trading provides a high salary. My instinct tells me that i shouldn't just be an accountant because i might lose the capacity to move up in the hierarchy. Also note the need to do a masters degree, not everyone will, just from what i read a masters in business administration (even if your doing acc/eco, mba) or maybe not a masters in eco (unless you want to teach) is really helpful in entering high employment and salaries apparently mba people helps put business in the list.
*basically def's aim to get a masters if your doing a business degree where particularly an mba is popular

now comes the topic from my first couple of paragraphs. I am aiming to move to economics+ca accounting for the piece of mind, but it's also perfect to mix industries specially ones with special skills.
*computer science/engineering/software engineer/i.t + ca accounting/business administration, makes a degree in technology which right now is super employable to ultra employable. You will be close to six figures with that build at minimum and as high as zuckerberg if you get lucky. These industries complement each other perfectly so take that in to consideration.
*c.a accounting + bbs (b. In medicine, surgery) --> good luck with the next decade but yes incredible employable, it does not however complement each other as the one above tech+business.
*law+accounting/eco is good too just that disciplines in law and economics require expertise and a "jack of all trades" may sometimes not be trusted at the "king of the trade", traditionally law has a lot of competition too. I think they complement but probably really in just a political way which is bad because high administration (ceo, manager) and high trading is king.
dude thankyou so freaking much

this has helped so much

you are the man

thankyou thankyou thankyou

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)