what courses are ppl doing at uni? (1 Viewer)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
lol, im sure most of sydney grammar students dont have to buy themselves into uni.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
sikeveo said:
Fee paying is good, it makes you look better since the grades in universities are given out based on a bell curve. I'm assuming most fee payers are poor achievers when compared to their CSP counterparts.
Yes genius, because getting a UAI of 98.60 as opposed to 99.60 makes you WAYYYYY more suited to the practice of law :rolleyes:.

Your assumption is baseless.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
The post was intended at RCandelori. I was trying to push him off his high horse, acting like he is superior to everyone.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Another thing to take into account is that when you have made a $20,000 / year investment (short change for very few people), you are probably less likely to be willing to 'take it easy'.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
sikeveo said:
The post was intended at RCandelori. I was trying to push him off his high horse, acting like he is superior to everyone.
Whoever it was intended for, it was still erroneous and probably offensive to many hard-working fee-paying students.

rcandelori

Not-That-Bright said:
Another thing to take into account is that when you have made a $20,000 / year investment (short change for very few people), you are probably less likely to be willing to 'take it easy'.
I think that generally, you should be extremely grateful if your parents are giving you an opportunity you would otherwise would not have had. It's disappointing to see some people taking advantage of their parents' deep pockets and doing nothing at all, but I'm sure many full-fee paying students would be working their arse off to justify the investment.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
rcandelori said:
I think that generally, you should be extremely grateful if your parents are giving you an opportunity you would otherwise would not have had. It's disappointing to see some people taking advantage of their parents' deep pockets and doing nothing at all, but I'm sure many full-fee paying students would be working their arse off to justify the investment.
Yeh, you dont want to fail a year

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
I'd debate that. Quite a few people in my sisters year failed, and they came back to get 2nd class honours. And they were CSP students.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
If you were failing, at the time you were doing the course, u obviously shouldn't have been. That doesn't mean you don't have the ability, but for whatever reason you failed at the time so you were doing something wrong / had some difficulty.

36800 a year... that is so crazy. No wonder people are willing to pay 5000 a year for tutoring etc to get high uai's, your choice is pay $5000 now or $36800 later.

rcandelori

sikeveo said:
I'd debate that. Quite a few people in my sisters year failed, and they came back to get 2nd class honours. And they were CSP students.
It just shows what a bit of work can achieve....whether you are a full-fee paying or CSP student.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
rcandelori said:
It just shows what a bit of work can achieve....whether you are a full-fee paying or CSP student.
They were CSP students. UNSW didn't offer DFEE places in medicine back then.

rcandelori

Not-That-Bright said:
If you were failing, at the time you were doing the course, u obviously shouldn't have been. That doesn't mean you don't have the ability, but for whatever reason you failed at the time so you were doing something wrong / had some difficulty.

36800 a year... that is so crazy. No wonder people are willing to pay 5000 a year for tutoring etc to get high uai's, your choice is pay $5000 now or $36800 later.
But given the significance of doctors in the health system, i.e. deciding between life and death of patients, you'd only want attract the absolute best, hence the very high price of the degree and the high UAI.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
But given the significance of doctors in the health system, i.e. deciding between life and death of patients, you'd only want attract the absolute best, hence the very high price of the degree and the high UAI.
I contest this. We admit many doctors from oversea's whom have scrupulous credentials, yet people over here whom recieve a uai of 98 and a decent umat can still not make it in? Doesn't seem right to me. Also I would argue that the HSC is not exactly an accurate judge of how people will perform as doctors, I believe one of the mods on this website recieved a uai of 78, managed to scrape his way into UWA after hard work at uni etc, and passes finely.

rcandelori

Not-That-Bright said:
I contest this. We admit many doctors from oversea's whom have scrupulous credentials, yet people over here whom recieve a uai of 98 and a decent umat can still not make it in? Doesn't seem right to me. Also I would argue that the HSC is not exactly an accurate judge of how people will perform as doctors, I believe one of the mods on this website recieved a uai of 78, managed to scrape his way into UWA after hard work at uni etc, and passes finely.
True, I suppose. But let's not forget about Dr Patel in Queensland and that terrible debacle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)