• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What discovery related text should I do? (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, pretty new here. But my question is that we are going to study "The Tempest" for I think our prescribed text for Discovery, our teacher told us to choose our related text. Am I meant to choose a related text that relates to the Tempest or what? We still haven't gotten our assignment notification so I don't know what the question will be, what do I do? Thanks for the help.

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Choose a text that shares some of the same themes as the tempest and that is easy to draw similarities to.

CanU_Not

HSC
Would like some help on this too :(
I'm kinda stuck on: how do I know a related text is appropriate enough to be writing for the HSC? Does it have to be a prize-winner? I feel like other books don't explore the themes into enough detail (especially since I mostly read comedy lols)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Would like some help on this too :(
I'm kinda stuck on: how do I know a related text is appropriate enough to be writing for the HSC? Does it have to be a prize-winner? I feel like other books don't explore the themes into enough detail (especially since I mostly read comedy lols)

Doesn't have to be a prize winner...

Probably better to do related texts that aren't really common...

jazzyjay_97

HSC
N/A
The Cement Garden, Ian McEwan [1978]

Giovani's Room, James Baldwin [novel]

Falling, Anne Provoost [1997]

Who Will Write Our History: Rediscovering a Hidden Archive from the Warsaw Ghetto, Samuel Kassow [non-fiction, 2007]

The Body, Director Paul Davis [short film, 2012]

Devil's Damned to Try, Director Marshall Burnette [short film]

The Candidate, Director David Karlak [short film, 2010]

Hide Your Smiling Faces, Director Daniel Patrick Carbone [film, 2013]

The Tell-Tale Heart, Edgar Allen Poe [short story, 1843]

Invictus, W.E Henley [poem, 1888]

If you want some help in finding the parallels between 'The Tempest' and any of these related text suggestions, just PM me :wavey:

Smooth Operator

HSC
In a good or bad way? lol
I feel like John Green books could be seen as rather.. immature?
I was kidding. ;)
And by 'stand out' was being sarcastic as I reckon there'd be quite a fair few who would IMO, but you never know..

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't choose a related text based on plot similarities with the tempest, you need to choose a related text that covers as much of the discovery rubric as possible, ideally avoiding being a text that has been on previous prescribed text list or is on a current prescribed text list for any HSC English course, to be honest, a lot of the related text for the belonging area of study has great potential to be a great discovery related text. I would recommend you to deconstruct the discovery rubric in detail if you haven't so it increases your understanding of what is exactly expected of you before you go off and search for a related text.

_maryzheng

HSC
N/A
Thoughts on Great Expectations by Charles Dickens?? If anyone knows of it, what notions of discovery does it include?? Thankyou :)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure we write an essay on each text - so it would very much help if you could compare the texts / show similarities between the themes of the text.

Check out this site:

http://www.hscdiscovery.com.au/

Has related texts for all the prescribed texts. It looks like it's down at the moment, but should be back up soon.
Yeah I had a look at that site and chose Tell-Tale Hearts, really good story.

gingerninja98

HSC
N/A
Hey would it be possible for you to send me a couple of links between 'Invictus' and the Tempest? Thank you so much!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)