What do employers think of UWS? (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I am sorry, i thought you were the one saying that people from UWS have difficulty, I was mistaken as so many people here having a good flame :)

I dont think however, attacking the UWSs students is very nice and doesnt prove anything

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
natstar said:
Somebody said that nobody recognises UWS, I just asked who this nobody is.
You, like us, is not an employer either so why are you posting here.
So...um...why are you posting here :rolleyes: your argument is self defeating.

None of us are employers. Hence we have no right to comment. You also happen not to be an employer. This means you have no right to comment about uws or any other uni. So what are you doing in this thread commenting about uws and other unis?

melsc said:
I dont think however, attacking the UWSs students is very nice and doesnt prove anything
I also do not think it is nice to attack non uws students. Especially when you arguing against people who attack uws on the same basis (not me, bearpooh who said uws=maccs obvious flame bait)

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Frigid said:
i'd like to point out a blindingly-obvious point:

does it fucking matter?

of course, it is not possible to capture the views of ALL employers in ALL fields by sharing the collective experience of BoS members.

this topic will only reduce itself to inane flaming.

melsc, please stop procrastinating and go study. there is no need to defend anything in this futile thread.
How did u know that was what I was doing :rolleyes: this is more fun than the difference between Conspiracy and Attempts bleh!

I actually was ready to bring out that post u made last time abt how u guys are all studying law so wats the difference

erawamai said:
None of us are employers. Hence we have no right to comment. You also happen not to be an employer. This means you have no right to comment about uws or any other uni. So what are you doing in this thread commenting about uws and other unis?
Might I just say I said this ages ago and then got smart arse comments made about how employers wouldnt be found on BOS, as I said if you guys ALL of you had talked about people you knew this had happened to would have satisfied the person who started the thread...anyway I should take Frigid's advice and go study cyas :)

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
erawamai said:
I know I know. But the point has to be made that it is wrong for a uws person to state that because you do not go to uws you do not know what hard work is. It would be just as wrong to suggest that because you go to uws you do not know what hatd work is.

What do you think Frigid? Do you know what hard work is? That has been the crux of the tailend of this thread.
i reserve my opinion on the quality of UWS because i simply do not know. even though i've lived in western sydney almost my entire life, i have never studied there. as you say, none of us are not well qualified to comment on the employability of UWS graduates.

however, to the latter point, hard work or lack thereof may be exhibited by any student of any university. to me, hard work is being constantly on the ball - if you are able to keep up with your readings, write summaries, get in a habit of study during midsemester break (which i'm not doing), do practice papers, ask questions etc, you're working hard. my experience thus far has told me university is not a walk in the park - it actually does take some effort to reach a distinction level [effort of which has eluded me so far].

that said, i don't think it is possible to generalise UWS as not hard-working or that UWS courses are not hard work. fuck, everything can be made into hard work. if you want to experience hard work, do four law subjects, aim to get all high-distinctions, get a part-time job and do lots of extra-curriculars.

thus, at the end of the day, hard work is dependent on the individual (as with most things). Work can be difficult regardless whether you are at UWS or any other uni.

kow_dude

HSC
natstar said:
The thing is, your not an employer, your a first year uni sudent, you are not in the capacity to comment
What the fuk

robbie1

HSC
alright lets summarise wat has happend here

1) i asked a question, unaware of the consequences

2) the thread is now out of control, and only a handful have attempted to answer my question

good day to you all

p.s - i am 90% sure i will be going to UWS

kow_dude

HSC
I'm on wikiwiki's side. I do believe that Western Sydney's reputation is not as good as the central uni's of sydney. Friends of mine currently at UWS already want to transfer and get out of that 'hole'. They feel that they are missing out on a lot such as facilities and societies offered in other unis.
But i do feel that Natstar has the right to defend her uni (despite her extreme spams).

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yeeea... i also want to get out, but I think it's more a matter of me wanting to get out BECAUSE of the reputation (and somewhat my annoyance at the admin) than the actual facilities/societies...

I think they'll find it's basically the same at other uni's, and it's just a 'grass is greener' thing where because of the other uni's rep they think they pwn.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
well, the grass really IS greener at UWS...we actually do have some grass, unlike some of the other uni's around....anyways but reputation wise, I think it's all just beacuse our uni hasn't been around as long as other uni's, I don't see any flaws in the admin and societies or whatever, I mean, those types of problems are experienced everywhere, I've been to USYD, trust me, it's not perfect.

Stott Despoja

HSC
N/A
sparkl3z said:
well, the grass really IS greener at UWS...we actually do have some grass, unlike some of the other uni's around....anyways but reputation wise, I think it's all just beacuse our uni hasn't been around as long as other uni's, I don't see any flaws in the admin and societies or whatever, I mean, those types of problems are experienced everywhere, I've been to USYD, trust me, it's not perfect.
Once again, feel free to promote your university and to contest any unreasonable generalisations from those commenting from afar, but don't expect others to keep quiet when you seek to unjustly pull down another university with petty statements in order to make your point.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
wikiwiki said:
Alright here, lets summarise the debate.

1) a few people (me included) believe employers have a negative perception of UWS as compared to other universities such as UNSW and Sydney.

2) You disagree because you think UWS is a good university.
I don't know that this summary adds anything to the debate (must admit I'm not a regular on this sub-forum, got to it while navigating to the Macq one, and not familiar with the debate). A debate implies two sides. If people who went there didn't like it, they'd also have a negative perception, thus being the same as employers... both sides would agree, so there's no debate...

Admittedly I don't know much about the history of it, but I'm sure half the problem with UWS image problem is the conception that it's a "westie" uni, with "westie" people going to it, and a "westie" standard of education. From there, it's assumed not to have the educational basis and organisational knowledge that the other "more established" uni's have. Once upon a time, Macquarie Uni had this problem too, I believe.

Tentative theory:
Psychologically, people are likely to side with their in-groups. If you go to UWS, you're likely to think that UWS has a good standard of education and is vaulable, and the peple around you are intelligent. Why? You don't want to degrade yourself -- why would you go to a university if it's a bad one? you'd be wasting your time. Thus, regardless of reality, it's value is enhanced. Similarly, those people who go to UNSW/Syd/"more established uni" are going to think theirs is better. Problem is, there's more of them because there's been more graduates, and over the years, they've gottn into positions where now they hire uni graduates. Expanding, those people who went to a new uni (ie Macq, once upon a time) understood the status quo -- they understood that Sydney was 'better', and thus accept that. So, now when they're in a position of employing people, they think that anyone who went to a uni "as good as" themselves, or better, is fine, and anyone who went to a new, upstart, university isn't gettting as good a education. This is made worse by the fact it's difficult to measure quality of education (at least from what I've seen)...

Demandred

HSC
I believe it is quite obvious that the reputation of UWS is not as good as other universities, we're quite a young university, give us a few decades and we might go toe to toe with the best.

Ask for employment prospects, I believe its really up to you to shine and impress your employers, not the reputation of the university.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
natstar said:
I just think its rich when non uws students comment on UWS standard of teaching, stadard of students, standard of quality etc etc etc, when they 1) havent been there, 2) are not students 3) base their generalisation on a whole lot of hearsay.
If you are going to use that argument it would be incorrect for you to present any opinion on any university other than your own. (hint: You have only ever been a student at uws)

It disqualifies all of us from giving opinions on the 'standard of quality' of uws or any uni that we have never been a student at. It also happens to disqualify you from giving your opinions about usyd or other G8s.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

In general...

I'm tired of these people doing the whole 'pot calling the kettle black' thing. Victims of unfair generalisation of their uni who manage to then go and generalise about other unis to prove their point.

As pointed out by Natasha

Stott Despoja said:
the point is that it's a bit rich to rail against derisive, oft-unfounded generalisations when they paint your uni in a poor light yet at the same time rely upon your own petty (and somewhat warped) generalisations about other universities and their students in order to 'prove' a point.

Last edited:

green_fairy

mmm, absinthe
HSC
natstar said:
This will never cease to amaze me. People automatically think west=derro, hole, crap, gay, bad, end of the earth. If people wants to hold that attitude, then thats fine, it just shows the narrow mindness of people today

Thats very true. I think thats the reason why people have this impression of UWS. Those of you that think its a shit uni just cause of where its located ask yourself if the uni was still exactly the same but the campus's were in like balmain or nth sydney would you still think its crap? Prob not so get over it.

Personally i'm hoping to get into UWS for either communications or criminology, not because they have the lowest uais but cause their the best courses. i think it was natstar that said in another thread that a lot of employers look favourably on the UWS advertising degree because it has such a heavy practical component opposed to the UTS course which focuses more on theory. Is that right natstar? something like that anyway.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
natstar said:
I have not commented on the standard of teaching or quality at any other uni
But hey. That won't stop you commenting negatively about other unis or their students!

natstar said:
If you think you go to such a highly prestigious and oh so classy university where you kiss your lectures arses in return for good marks and they kiss yours in return,
natstar said:
I didnt say it was crap. I just said the students and lectures like to arse kiss

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
natstar said:
all I said was that jokingly USYD students and teaches arse kiss IMO. I said [/b]nothing about the quality or standard of anything or nothing negetive about the uni in general.
Right so teachers and students kiss arse at usyd in your opinion. But, as you say, that's a joke...ha ha ha...nothing negative. It's just you think students and teachers kiss each others arses (I have no idea how you formed that opinion since you have never been to usyd)

Just like If i were to say uws students kiss uws lectuers arses...its just a joke right? ha ha ha...nothing nagative. just my opinion.

Do you get it?

Stott Despoja said:
the point is that it's a bit rich to rail against derisive, oft-unfounded generalisations when they paint your uni in a poor light yet at the same time rely upon your own petty (and somewhat warped) generalisations about other universities and their students in order to 'prove' a point.
How are you meant to be taken serisously when you complain about generalisations made of your uni but you then go and make genernalisations about other unis?

Last edited:

Jonathan A

HSC
Both the University of new England and Charles Sturt have very low UAI entry points. Does that make them bad universities?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)