What do employers think of UWS? (1 Viewer)

HSC
melsc said:
Really my point was things such as spelling ( I realised that the spelling was not you) and all these irelevant things you are nit picking really are pointless to fight about, you don't like someone commenting on your fault even if it only appeared once, you however are free to continue to complain about things said here over and over again, even if they were something said once in the heat of the moment. Don't take it personal it wasn't only directed at you
I still stand by my comments on spelling, as I maintain that if people are going to say things like "... actually makes sense and shows that you actually passed English" they should ensure that they're doing the same. Natstar and I have since discussed this and I've realised that the outburst was a product of Internet rage, so really it's a dead issue, unless you'd like to discuss it too. If people don't want pettiness and nitpicking, they should avoid being overly critical of others.

I agree with erawamai in regard to double standards, if someone has a problem with attacks upon their University, it is ridiculous to retaliate by paying out other Universities. Propagating exactly what you're complaining about is not a smart move in my books. I've already commented on this earlier so I'll leave it at that.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Basically what I you seem to be doing to me is putting everyone else down, I know for a fact that I am not perfect and wonder "Will I make a good law student?". I'll take my unintelligent mind, my flawed logic and double standards out of this thread because this is going in circles, both sides generalised, both attacked people rather than posted relevant stuff

I thought that your first comments were fair and respect you for that, but I think you should cut the UWSers some slack, the reason they make such assumptions are because they are faced with that shit from other students all the time, there have been many threads before this where people ahve done so about UWS

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
melsc said:
I thought that your first comments were fair and respect you for that, but I think you should cut the UWSers some slack, the reason they make such assumptions are because they are faced with that shit from other students all the time, there have been many threads before this where people ahve done so about UWS
I wont cut people slack when their comments, for example about usyd people being arselickers (in the heat of e battle or not) or non uws people not knowing what hard work is, arenot things you cut slack on. I believe it is reasonable to put people in their place when they make such comments. As is the right of UWS people to put people in their place when they make unfair generalisations inrelation to uws.

As for whether you will make a good lawyer. Thats up to you. My tone was not meant to be too harsh. I know in the real world peopel tones a alot harsher than mine. But I apologise if I offended you with my tone. It was not on purpose.

ogmzergrush said:
I agree with erawamai in regard to double standards, if someone has a problem with attacks upon their University, it is ridiculous to retaliate by paying out other Universities. Propagating exactly what you're complaining about is not a smart move in my books. I've already commented on this earlier so I'll leave it at that.
erawamai agrees. The whole last quater of the thread has been dedicated to the above issue rather than whether uws is good or not (who cares). It would be wise for pro uws people not to generalise about other unis in the heat of e warfare. It does nothing to improve pro uws arguments.

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
erawamai said:
As for whether you will make a good lawyer. Thats up to you. My tone was not meant to be too harsh. I know in the real world peopel tones a alot harsher than mine. But I apologise if I offended you with my tone. It was not on purpose.
I understand :) *Extends hand as a peace offering* I often get very heated on the internet.

I just get annoyed when people make such assumptions abt UWS when I have kept a very open mind and checked out all the unis

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
natstar said:
Im also glad I dont have parents like that. My parents would be proud of me even if i left in year 10.
Me too :) My parents didnt pressure me to do anything, they were in fact shocked that I wanted to do law. I have friends who's parents are pushing them into things they dont like, or expect way too much from them and feel like failures even though there is nothing wrong with their results

Jonathan A

HSC
bearpooh said:
A lot of law graduates never work in law, due to poor marks
or lack of interest or a change in their direction as the years go by.

It's highly disputable as to the success of graduates depending on marks. Many practitioners have told me just to pass and ensure I maintain experience in the field.

Experience is very important. And if you are committed, your oppurtunities are not severed if you don't graduate with First Class Honours.

S

Shuter

natstar said:
I am saying its silly comparing it to a uni like syd which has been in operation for so long, obviously had more than enough time to build up a reputation, had enough time to produce graduates etc. No one is willing to give UWS a chance becuase of the western stigma, and obviously has not built up an image yet.
So you're saying that U Syd does have a better reputation and produces better graduates. Personally, whether it's unfounded reputation or not, I'm going to pick the uni which gives me maximum standing relative to my opposition and maximum salery and job oppurtunities relative to the other universities, all other things being equal.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I know this is irrelevant but since there are heaps of law students here, if the defendants name is first and the crown is second in the case name is that an appeals case??? E.g Blaue V R (1975) 1 WLR 1411

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
I know this is irrelevant but since there are heaps of law students here, if the defendants name is first and the crown is second in the case name is that an appeals case??? E.g Blaue V R (1975) 1 WLR 1411
Yep. ........

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Jonathan A said:
It's highly disputable as to the success of graduates depending on marks. Many practitioners have told me just to pass and ensure I maintain experience in the field.

Experience is very important. And if you are committed, your oppurtunities are not severed if you don't graduate with First Class Honours.
It is true that you don't need first class honours, but marks are very important.

Your future employee will run through and check all your marks.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
I don't really want to re-ignite this debate again, but thought some may appreciate an actual EMPLOYER'S opinion on the matter.

I recently spoke to the Human Resource Manager of a large law firm in Sydney. He said that the most important aspect is you academic and technical legal skill. Therefore, he will look closely at your university results. However, he stressed that this was not the only important consideration. Applicants must be well-adjusted and balanced. For example, he said he once said no to an applicant who had received a high distinction in all but one occasion throughout his whole double-degree because he had engaged in no extra-cirricula activity, didn't have a part-time job etc.

In getting to the question over the influence UWS has, he said that going to UWS will not prevent employment in such a law firm; however, it can have some effect. It's not that employers regard the teaching as inferior, but rather the fact that it has a lower UAI. As mentioned above, academic ability is crucial, so the fact that a student went to UWS may suggest that they had a low UAI and therefore lack academic ability. He said that if I go to UWS (since it is close and has the course I want to combine law with), I should put on my resume that I received a UAI high enough to go to other unis, but chose to go to UWS for these reasons (so long as I do get a high UAI).

kow_dude

HSC
Why would employers still care about people's UAI? It does not show anything!

L

LaraB

kow_dude said:
Why would employers still care about people's UAI? It does not show anything!
i spoke to the assistant to DPP (2004) about this and she said for someone like me who got very high end 90's but went to UWS i should

tehre is still amongst some, few, but some, that you have to have a 99+ UAI to be 'law student material' so she said that if you put down your UAI if you knwo that the firm is of that nature, if they see that you got high 90's but deliberatly chose UWS, eg like me cause i got scholarships and stuff, they'll see it as a positive thing and will value your choice of university as to them they view you as a 'smart person' and wno't just assume you're at a certain uni coz you're dumb/smart/lazy/hard working whatever

that said - the vast majority don't care about UAI and uni... they care about is uni results and well-roundedness and experience and all that stuff

hYperTrOphY

HSC
UAI cutoffs measure demand. Low demand doesent have to represent low quality.
I didn't say that it represented quality. I said that the low cut-off means that most people who go there got a relatively lower UAI.

L

LaraB

natstar said:
UAI cutoffs measure demand. Low demand doesent have to represent low quality..
not saying any different.. simply saying that is how the general populace ie including dopey employers see the UAI as i suppose to an e xtent it does represent some form of intelligence, whether this is an accurate measure or intelligence and capability as a whole i think it is not

L

LaraB

natstar said:
UAI cutoffs measure demand. Low demand doesent have to represent low quality.

One of my lectures today told us in general (regarding all uni's) that you wont have much hope going straight from uni and trying to find a job. Employers want EXPERIENCE, even if its only a little bit, and they regard that highly over marks, doesent matter if you have a HD average.
depends who you talk to also though

one guy who work for a law firm who does family and ER law said that they tend to look for marks and personality and communication skills over experience as if you look at experience you're likely to disadvantage those who weren't lucky enough to have family links etc as that makes getting experience much easier than someone left on their own to figure it all out.... plus this guy said that in his opinino it's easier to train and intelligent mind that create intelligence in a trained mind - ie it's easier to get a HD student who has an indepth understanding of the concepts to apply this knowledge regardless of experience than itis to cretae a competent professional out of someone with lotsa random experienec but only a pass average/poor understandnig of key concepts

so i think its wrong toa ssume that empoyers value experience over HD's as HD's generally indicate a more sophisticated an thorough uinderstanding and in UWS case i guess a greater ability to apply the knowledge in practical situations - i think this aptitude is as, if not more useful than experience:)

Kally17

HSC
UWS Study

Not everything about getting a job is academic. When you've finished your degree at UWS, essentially it comes down to your interview skills, inter-personal skills and your experience and the bit of paper, that is your degree, is the back up of your skills. What good is it going to any university and applying for a job, without being able to work in a team and communicate with others effectively?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)