• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What do employers think of UWS? (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
thats a stupid question to ask because (a) i dont' even know if he has a son
Well come on, that's a bit of a low blow... we're not going to argue in that sort of petty fashion are we?

and (b) even if i did - thats a pointless question as he wouldn't 'send' his son anywhere because its up to the studnte
While of course it would in the end be up to the student, his father would probably wish for him to go to a particular university, because he would have been to university and would know a bit about it.

, a 2nd because he would probably go the best uni for him
Um, what?

whether you think a uni is good has nothing to do with whether you think it would be a good one for yourself or your child....
How is this so? You're trying to tell me that some parents will want to send their kids to a uni they don't think is good? And that they can believe a uni is not good, but it's still good for their child? What the hell?

All I'm trying to do is cut through the crap a little for the 05'ers who are really interested in doing a course at UWS. I don't think it's right for you to imply that employers have no problem with UWS law graduates, when you know very well that you are probably in a very unique situation and that status is a fairly big thing in law. I've had this confirmed to me even by a medal winning uws law graduate...

There is a real status problem at UWS, and it is a university that is struggling with funding problems, it is also not as social as other universities as the campuses are much more spread out.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2000/sep2000/book-s07_prn.shtml

Last edited:
L

LaraB

Not-That-Bright said:
While of course it would in the end be up to the student, his father would probably wish for him to go to a particular university, because he would have been to university and would know a bit about it.

How is this so? You're trying to tell me that some parents will want to send their kids to a uni they don't think is good? And that they can believe a uni is not good, but it's still good for their child? What the hell?

All I'm trying to do is cut through the crap a little for the 05'ers who are really interested in doing a course at UWS. I don't think it's right for you to imply that employers have no problem with UWS law graduates, when you know very well that you are probably in a very unique situation and that status is a fairly big thing in law. I've had this confirmed to me even by a medal winning uws law graduate...
1 - just because you know the uni etc doesn't mean you'd want your kids to go tehre.. my parents went to uts but had no intention of sending me there... any sensible parent wouldn't just assume what they know is all true and good for someone else

2 - i didn't say that - don't twist what i'm saying to make me sound like an idiot - what i said was that just because a uni is good doesn't mean it will be good for you child... its not complicated so i don't get why you're questioning it...

simple eg - Yes ANU is a good uni but my parents didn't want me going there because they didn't think i'd like the lifestyle and didn't think it would give me any great advantage so i'd be moving for no reason in the end...

3 - I did not say that so don't say i did. I said that going to uws will not mean you wno't get a job - clearly i know there are some firms who are anti but i have only encountered 2 out of dozens.

and since when is what i say gospel? other people are smart enough to take from it what they will - they don't need you analysing my every word to tell them what to think. and no - it's not a 'unique' experience of mine - you're painting the totally opposite picture of what you are claiming i am doing - you make it sound as if you're never going to get a job because all employers just say they respect uws to be nice which is a load of crap and you know it.

stop analysing what i say for other people - they can think for themselves.

obviously everything i have said IS based on mine and friends/colleagues experiences and anyone with half a brain can see that... obviously its not always the case but who cares - all i was getting at was that being a UWS student will not stop you being successful like people make out and in certain lines of work it will push you ahead of others. i didn't say nor have i ever said that you will be guaranteed a job if you go to uws so don't twist it to make it appear that i did

is that plain and clear enough for you

L

LaraB

your article isn't particulaly rrelevant... have a look at the date

the uni was barely established then... its half a decade since then....there are ample resources now

again - its just an example of particularly student's choices... i have NEVER used a non uws book for an assignment and i currently have a Distinction average doing minimal work - that article just proves that some people feel a need to find extra resources

and again - just like my posts - its just someones opinion...

all i said as i always have is there are PLENTY of places who are keen to hire UWS students so non uws students who say you won't get a job just because youa re a uws students are full of shit. if you're a good student you're a good student regardless of uni - the uni name alone WILL NOT get you a job and is not prescribed criteria for a job...

how hard is that to understand...

Last edited by a moderator:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
1 - just because you know the uni etc doesn't mean you'd want your kids to go tehre.. my parents went to uts but had no intention of sending me there... any sensible parent wouldn't just assume what they know is all true and good for someone else
Oh I didn't mean like wanting you to go to the uni they went to, I meant more helpful advice based on what they know about university. Surely a sensible parent won't let their child make a mistake without a little bit of advice?

2 - i didn't say that - don't twist what i'm saying to make me sound like an idiot - what i said was that just because a uni is good doesn't mean it will be good for you child... its not complicated so i don't get why you're questioning it...
Well, I understand your reasoning there. Of course just because a university is good doesn't mean it will be good for your child in particular, but i believe you were also trying to claim that just because a university isn't good doesn't mean it won't be good for your child? I don't quite get that, I can't imagine a parent sending their kid to a university they didn't believe was a good one.

simple eg - Yes ANU is a good uni but my parents didn't want me going there because they didn't think i'd like the lifestyle and didn't think it would give me any great advantage so i'd be moving for no reason in the end...
I'm glad you went ahead and provided me with this example. Now we can see that parents do influence their children's decisions, and do help decide where they are to go.

and since when is what i say gospel? other people are smart enough to take from it what they will - they don't need you analysing my every word to tell them what to think. and no - it's not a 'unique' experience of mine - you're painting the totally opposite picture of what you are claiming i am doing - you make it sound as if you're never going to get a job because all employers just say they respect uws to be nice which is a load of crap and you know it.
I'm not saying you'll never get a job, i'm just saying that the disrespect is there and needs to be openly acknowledged.

Don't make the mistake of thinking I'm anti-uws or whatever, I'm not.

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I think the employment prospects can be effected but it depends what area you are looking to work in, especially with law.

I am thinking about the bar and most prob fopr the DPP which after having a long discussion with my careers advisor, going to UWS wouldnt be a problem, however going into a big firm would be much more difficult.

However Robbie isnt looking at law so much of this is irrelevant

L

LaraB

melsc said:
I think the employment prospects can be effected but it depends what area you are looking to work in, especially with law.

I am thinking about the bar and most prob fopr the DPP which after having a long discussion with my careers advisor, going to UWS wouldnt be a problem, however going into a big firm would be much more difficult.

However Robbie isnt looking at law so much of this is irrelevant

if you're interested in working for the DPP if you'd like i may be able to get in contact with the ex-DPP's assistant - far as i remember she's coming back from London for a holiday in the next few weeks - she's no longer DPP's assistant coz she got a job that pays better in London lol

L

LaraB

Not-That-Bright said:
I'm glad you went ahead and provided me with this example. Now we can see that parents do influence their children's decisions, and do help decide where they are to go.

I'm not saying you'll never get a job, i'm just saying that the disrespect is there and needs to be openly acknowledged.

Don't make the mistake of thinking I'm anti-uws or whatever, I'm not.
no - my parents didn't influence my decision - i'm simply saying that was their thoughts and what they thought i should do - i didn't make my decision based on anything they thought because i investigated what were my options - they didn't. All they knew was what i told them here and there so no - my parents did not help decide where i went.

all you have done is just in a round about way agree with what i said to start with - perhaps becuase you twisted my words to make it out to be something else...

everyone knows there is bad shit to do with uws so everyone! needs to stop trying to cut down positive remarks people make to 'even it out' - it doesn't need to be evened out - every one hears enough of the bad shit to start with...

especially as most of the positive comments people make, particularly about law and business and arts fields, are based on PROFESSIONALS! as compared to the ego-trips of a few students... if anything these comments should be given more consideration than the ramblings of students who respond with "well... not everyone says that - i know a guy who thinks uws is shit"....

the disrespect IS openly acknowledged and THAt is the problem! i mean.. geez... plenty of people have openly said they'd never hire a sydney grad - but do you see sydney people parading that around?

its about time some of the RESPECT is acknowledged without having someone cutting down every singl positive remark because the disrespect exists...

its NO HELP to prospective students to just further support the already prevalent bashing of UWS by other students...

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
bearpooh said:
My experience is that careers advisors know almost nothing about less common pathways like the bar.
Yes but logically which uni you when to has much less significance when compared to someone looking to work for a big firm, especially when (in my knowledge) barristers have to work for themselves.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
There are wide-ranging problems with our university, there are many people from within the university that speak out about these. You might construe it as some form of attack on the university, a way to tarnish the university's name, but the truth is that it is the university its-self that has tarnished its own name.

donkeydrop

HSC
in my case, the boss didnt care which uni i go. All she asked was about my previous employment history and other employment related questions.

so, i dont believe that just because person goes to UNSW or USYD he/she has better chance of getting a job. :) :)

hYperTrOphY

HSC
donkeydrop said:
in my case, the boss didnt care which uni i go. All she asked was about my previous employment history and other employment related questions.

so, i dont believe that just because person goes to UNSW or USYD he/she has better chance of getting a job. :) :)
What was the job you applied for?

7th Sign

HSC
if you get good marks at uws apparently most employers dont care lol

hate the people who are still at uni trying to make judgements on uws LOL

donkeydrop

HSC
hYperTrOphY said:
What was the job you applied for?
Jr para-legal office admin. How did i get it? Answer: mycareer.com, ive e-mailed my resume. Had over 20-30 rejections, i didnt care i still continued to apply :) :)

LADIES AND GENTLEMAN, DONT GIVE UP!

L

LaraB

donkeydrop said:
Jr para-legal office admin. How did i get it? Answer: mycareer.com, ive e-mailed my resume. Had over 20-30 rejections, i didnt care i still continued to apply :) :)

LADIES AND GENTLEMAN, DONT GIVE UP!
exactly!!!!

go have a look here too - http://careerhub.uws.edu.au/ - UWS STUDENTS ONLY!!! other people don't' even waste your time trying to scab free ads lol - you need student number etc to access it:p

like donkeydrop says - just don't give up:) - although it can be a bit annoying when you get NOTHING! for a while and then get 2 or 3 in one go and you really wanna take em but you already have a job elsewhere:p.... got notification today that i got 2 other jobs... one in HR office admin which paid awesome but when i looked at the terms of employment - actually sounds reaaaaaaallly! boring so i don't think the $27/hr would be worth it coz i'd dive out teh window coz of boredom!... the other was just a law clerk thing which is kinda what i'm doing now anyways and pays less lol

you should go to every search engine- and apply for everything even if you don't think you have a hope in hell of getting it!:) its good practice if you get to interviews and often if you're massivley underqualified but get an interview anyways, they'll give you tips for future interviews and keep your name on file so if you wanna re apply at that place in a year - if they liked you b efore they'll remember you:)

you should use careerhub, seek, careerone, there's heaps - just go to careerhub page and there's a whole heap of links:)

donkeydrop

HSC
thank you LaraB!

I made choice that i would like to get law-related experience BEFORE i finish my degree or even before i get to year 4 & 5.

Id rather do basic task such as filling, mail-delivery, answering phone-calls NOW then when im 24-25.

Another thing, there are many law schools and many more quality students so i need to do something that will make me different. So i believe that working now will benefit me in the future?

The downside of doing that I spend less time studying and thats why i fucked up real bad this year. p.s. yuk Simon's early morning Intro to Law class :rolleyes:

L

LaraB

donkeydrop said:
thank you LaraB!

I made choice that i would like to get law-related experience BEFORE i finish my degree or even before i get to year 4 & 5.

Id rather do basic task such as filling, mail-delivery, answering phone-calls NOW then when im 24-25.

Another thing, there are many law schools and many more quality students so i need to do something that will make me different. So i believe that working now will benefit me in the future?

The downside of doing that I spend less time studying and thats why i fucked up real bad this year. p.s. yuk Simon's early morning Intro to Law class :rolleyes:
yeah exactly! LegalAid people said i have an automatic advantage in a way over any other students who apply for a job there in future since i 'showed the initiative' in 1st year workin for them rather than some other firm... plus they said if i'm competent in the work and everyone gets on and all that kinda thing - i might be able to arrange to have the job in future years which would be awesome! coz it saves looking each year lol -

so yeah - that's another advantage of getting out tehre and looking now - you may be able tos ecure a job for future!

hehe - that's why i don't work during semester - although if i didn't have the schoarships i probably would have to - but yeah seems like it works out best if you can find a boss who's nice enought to have you work f/t hours in break but only 1 or 2 days a week during semester so you can get some time to study:)

hehe aww - believe me - early mornings are worth it if it means you get SImon lol.. i had margaret and although i did well in intro - she was sooo boring! coz everything ended up being about her p.o.v and the bill of rights :rolleyes: which wasn't even in the exam after all that! lol

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
melsc said:
Going to the bar is not cheap. From memory it requires three exams that are pass/ fail which cost $300 each. In other words you need to be financially secure before you can take the year off to study for the bar exams.

L

LaraB

erawamai said:
Going to the bar is not cheap. From memory it requires three exams that are pass/ fail which cost $300 each. In other words you need to be financially secure before you can take the year off to study for the bar exams.
Mel - go to the NSW Bar Assoc. page - http://www.nswbar.asn.au/

there's a whole heap of info, step by step basic info bout the procedures, costs, even got suggestions about what you can get tutored for and all that kind of thing.. everything you wanna know should be in there:)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
erawamai said:
Yeah I know, I've looked into it...honestly if I spend as much time studying as researching my legal career I would have done better

eep I got offered a UWS scholarship today..ay least I think I did :)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
UWS = shit
If you go to UWS it's basically saying to an employer that you were too stupid to get into anywhere else.
It's as simple as that.

And you can't trust the opinion of anyone that goes to UWS because they are clearly bias.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)