• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What do employers think of UWS? (2 Viewers)

L

LaraB

absolution* said:
Dont let these UWSers fool you. UWS is looked down upon by employers because the graduates generally are not equipped with the same skills as those graduates from more established unis that may have received similar marks. This is not because people that go to UWS are stupid. Its just because it generally attracts less-able students when compared to unis like USYD for example. I would avoid UWS if it were at all possible. Sure its not as bad as tafe, but still pretty bad.

Good luck! :)
not equipped with the same skills?

what a load of crap... in fact most courses UWS is looked upon more highly because we get the same theoretical skills plus more practical skills and experiences that unis like USYd for eg are criticised for not having enough of.

its only been around for less than a decade and in its 1st decade its achieved way more than any of the other unis did in hteir first f ew years its just moronic to compare it to a un ithta's been around since forever since a new uni shouldn't' have the same rep.

just coz students like you are ignorant doesn't mean decent employers are

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
LaraB said:
not equipped with the same skills?

what a load of crap... in fact most courses UWS is looked upon more highly because we get the same theoretical skills plus more practical skills and experiences that unis like USYd for eg are criticised for not having enough of.

its only been around for less than a decade and in its 1st decade its achieved way more than any of the other unis did in hteir first f ew years its just moronic to compare it to a un ithta's been around since forever since a new uni shouldn't' have the same rep.

just coz students like you are ignorant doesn't mean decent employers are
bwhahahah. im so glad i didnt even try to dicipher your muddled reasoning and phrasing since its fairly obvious that your argument is complete ratshit.

L

LaraB

wikiwiki said:
My dad is an executive hr manager at a state-owned corporation and has been in HRM for the last 25 years.

So yeah, I think my opinion (which is based on his opinions) are probably worth mentioning.

It doesnt matter how good UWS ACTUALLY is, all that matters is that most people think it is a shit uni.
well woopdiedoo...

that's one opinion of one employer...

i can give you dozens from half a dozen legal practioners, half a dozen HR professionals, a guy who did his PHD at UWS in Robotics because quote "It's the best for my areas of scientific research in the world in my opinion", journos, marketing practioners blah blah blah blah blah

HRM practicioners are probly one of the worst to use as a reference point as to the standard of UWS since HRM practioners have of late been criticised for failing to keep up to date with new theories and practices and failing to be aware of graduates and their qualifications

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
wikiwiki said:
It doesnt matter how good UWS ACTUALLY is, all that matters is that most people think it is a shit uni.
As said before, since the question was usefully answered, all the pointless argument and shitstir revolves around this point. This is in the sense that those from UWS argue on actual merits, and those from Usyd/misc. attack based on the perception of these merits.

L

LaraB

bearpooh said:
Very true.

On the other hand, a UWS graduate might have some trouble getting an interview at Clifford and Chance, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer or Allen & Overy.

But on the other hand, Allen and Overy are notorious for mistreating their
trainees and associates, so who really wants to work with them .....
exactly:)

big firm doesn't = quality work or quality career....

many legal practioners, mainly barristers i mean, choose not to work for a firm and rather work i gues, for themselves in effect, and they're some of the best in Aus

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
Any of you guys do law, I am typing up some notes and I was wondering, is negligence mens rea for murder or does it mitigate mens rea to manslaughter???
You can have murder by reckless indifference. In NSW it will be murder if the accused foresaw that death (or grevious bodily harm) was a probable consequence of his or her actions yet took the risk and performed those actions: R v Crabbe. It is a subjective test.

This is to be distinguished from criminal negligence (manslaughter). This is where the standard of care is not met and there was a high risk that death or grevious bodily harm would result. This is an objective test.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
You can have murder by reckless indifference. In NSW it will be murder if the accused foresaw that death (or grevious bodily harm) was a probable consequence of his or her actions yet took the risk and performed those actions: R v Crabbe. It is a subjective test.

This is to be distinguished from criminal negligence (manslaughter). This is where the standard of care is not met and there was a high risk that death or grevious bodily harm would result. This is an objective test.
Thanks :) I always think of mens rea in terms of intention, reckless indifference and negligence...thats why I had to check

Sorry I just checked my book and under "non criminal killing" ther eis "non criminal negligence" - what makes it "non-criminal"

Last edited:
L

LaraB

absolution* said:
bwhahahah. im so glad i didnt even try to dicipher your muddled reasoning and phrasing since its fairly obvious that your argument is complete ratshit.
ooh sorry excuse me for not grammer and spell checking perfectly

next time i'll try to keep up with your super-human, intellectual, valid arguments....

everytime anyone posts the slightes comment about a good thing to do with UWS you come in here and start your usual "oh your argument doesn't even makes sense and is obviously shit so i'm not even going to bother to respond"

get over yourself and find something better to do than pick on grammar....

anyways to those of you bitching and whinging about law at different unis who say no one high up respects the UWS course - Assistant to the DPP until 2004, Samantha Mitchell, straight up said to me "i wouldn't suggest the more established unis unless you aim to do Political studies combined with law or international studies because there is no advantage in it. You're just going to be paying more for a little prestige which by the time you graduate doesn't mean anything"

L

LaraB

wikiwiki said:
You poor thing, you really thought that sounded intellectual didn't you?

Ok lets make this argument : Harvard is better than UWS.

Is it now the fault of HRM practitioners (NOTE THE SPELLING) that they will laugh at the UWS graduate and interview the Harvard graduate?

People with more ability go to better universities. It is only logical that, on the whole, people with degrees with better universities will have a greater chance of getting jobs than people with degrees from lesser universities.

Exclude the areas in which UWS is an expert in the field - my whole argument is that better universities are better in teaching subjects, so UWS would be a better university in that field (eg psychology).

Universities with better students leads to university graduates who are better job applicants.
you people are so sad - of course it can't be a typo, i must be an idiot coz a letter's missing...

so what, coz i didn't go to ANU i have less ability than someone at ANU?

thats a load of bullshit...especially since i could've gotten into almost every course at ANU but chose UWS as a numebr one choice deliberately.

yeah way to compare Harvard with UWS - that comparison is just moronic, the US uni system is totally different to here and its ridiculous to compare Harvard to UWS since UWS has only been open since 1997

employers don't 'laugh' at UWS graduates as you seem to put it... i know plenty of people who have either graduated or have applied and gotten jobs whilst still at uni and i don't recall ever hearing a mention of anyone being ridiculed in any way...

anyway, your opinion is virtually worthless ... as you said "my opinion is that in my da's opinion"... yeah top argument.... for all we know your dad's a school teacher or a nurse or a cop or something else completely irrelevant.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
LaraB said:
you people are so sad - of course it can't be a typo, i must be an idiot coz a letter's missing...

so what, coz i didn't go to ANU i have less ability than someone at ANU?

thats a load of bullshit...especially since i could've gotten into almost every course at ANU but chose UWS as a numebr one choice deliberately.

yeah way to compare Harvard with UWS - that comparison is just moronic, the US uni system is totally different to here and its ridiculous to compare Harvard to UWS since UWS has only been open since 1997

employers don't 'laugh' at UWS graduates as you seem to put it... i know plenty of people who have either graduated or have applied and gotten jobs whilst still at uni and i don't recall ever hearing a mention of anyone being ridiculed in any way...

anyway, your opinion is virtually worthless ... as you said "my opinion is that in my da's opinion"... yeah top argument.... for all we know your dad's a school teacher or a nurse or a cop or something else completely irrelevant.
wow, id had guess even UWS would have higher standards for law students than this..

L

LaraB

absolution* said:
wow, id had guess even UWS would have higher standards for law students than this..
with the type of childish insults you're spitting out at people i'm surprised you don't feel at home amongst people of such a low standard as you seem to believe uws students are

nothing you say in the uws forum has any weight because its the same stupid remarks everytime and you're perspective is entirely one eyed, and you are completely incapable of maintaining a conversation, the instant anyone disagrees they're apparently full of shit..

you need to find something better to do

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
wikiwiki said:
People with more ability go to better universities. It is only logical that, on the whole, people with degrees with better universities will have a greater chance of getting jobs than people with degrees from lesser universities.
I dont believe this is generally uni entry is based soley on UAI
A good uai could be bcoz of good tutoring, scaling, going to a good school, natural talent, or hard work,
A bad UAI could be bcoz of things out of the persons control, bad school or teachers, bad subject choice etc
In the end the UAI doesnt really measure one's intelligence (nor does spelling), also just because you did well in the HSC doesnt mean you will do well at uni, USYD even said that a student with a UAI of 80ish would capable of studying law

In the end though I will be glad to get into a law course anywhere, I don't care where it is, I'll just be happy to study law.

Last edited:
L

LaraB

wikiwiki said:
First off, you mis-spelt it twice. The second time you left out a syllable. That isn't a typo.

ON THE WHOLE. LEARN TO READ. About the ANU thing - Yes, that is the impression it sends to employers. Alright so you say you can't compare Harvard with UWS because of age. How does that matter to employers? As UWS gets older, will that make you a better graduate? That is a ridiculous thing to say. UWS graduates can only be judged on the reputation of UWS at the time they graduated.

Well obviously UWS graduates get jobs. When did I say they don't? I made it quite clear that for better jobs, UWS graduates will be at a disadvantage.

Well, you could always google him. But a smart cookie would have looked up my email address and googled the last name. You can find out a lot about me by doing that. I really shouldn't type this but oh well.

edit: you can't go the last part anymore, unless you PM me.
oh dear me i apologise - thanx for informing me that you're only allowed one typo per thread....

thanks for informing me that i'm illiterate - i'll get some help for that... it's amazing that i managed to breeeze through HSC, get into uni, get 2 scholarships for the duration of my course, work for a Gifted and Talented education program all without being able to read?!

i wish i'd met you and your ingenious mind sooner - my life would've been so much more complete.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
A good uai could be bcoz of good tutoring, scaling, going to a good school, natural talent, or hard work,
A bad UAI could be bcoz of things out of the persons control, bad school or teachers, bad subject choice etc
In the end the UAI doesnt really measure one's intelligence (nor does spelling), also just because you did well in the HSC doesnt mean you will do well at uni, USYD even said that a student with a UAI of 80ish would capable of studying law
On this I would say the UAI is a perfectly valid measure of intellgence given a background which is not disadvantaged. However, there are considerations, obviously, for certain mitigating factors. A bad teacher would still not be an impairment to a good student, since the student would know better than to blindly follow and independantly understand the material in his/her own time, based very closely on the syllabus. Bad subject choice is not an impairment of the UAI measure. This is because subject choice for the HSC is something an intelligent student is presumed to factor in well.

It cannot be said conclusively that a good performance in the HSC necessarily equals a good performance at university, but it is a good indicator. This is especially true in the common case of a lower UAI being because a person is less inclined to do work throughout the school year; at university, the trend will still continue. I personally do not believe you can have such a change of heart in study habits, as I have never personally seen that happen with the people I know.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I just think that entry should not be soley UAI based, I basically have had problems with my school all year, and would like the chance to show that despite the fact that I am not the greatest student and dont expect to get 99.6 I still am determined and willing to work hard, especially in an area that I am most interested in

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
Sorry I just checked my book and under "non criminal killing" ther eis "non criminal negligence" - what makes it "non-criminal"
They must be talking about ordinary negligence. This involves a a victim (well, a victim's "next best friend", since the victim is dead) against a negligent person, claiming damages. It's a civil action between private individuals for compensation, not a criminal action where the state is attempting to punish (by gaol sentences).

L

LaraB

melsc said:
I just think that entry should not be soley UAI based, I basically have had problems with my school all year, and would like the chance to show that despite the fact that I am not the greatest student and dont expect to get 99.6 I still am determined and willing to work hard, especially in an area that I am most interested in
find rich relatives:p

plenty of rich kids get into uni courses they don't deserve to on the basis of academics just coz they have money..... that is at some unis.. not all unis have full fee paying courses, UWS and UTS don't or at least they didn't last year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)