What do u hate about MAQ (1 Viewer)

lind27

HSC
I havent seen any what u hate about Maq threads so i thought id start one. But theres still alot more positives than negatives.

1. the over crowded computer rooms
2. the ugly buildings
3. the new logo

Tonthat

HSC
I don't mind the buildings. They go well with all the nature.

ascentyx

HSC
tutors with such ridiculous accents that make you almost want to cry.

Mathmatics85

HSC
tutors with such ridiculous accents that make you almost want to cry.
maybe those who can speak English very well are already in workforce because they didn't have much difficulties in getting a job after finishing their undergrad?(u know most tutors are postgrad or PHD qualified.) well there might be exceptions but seeing how Master of accounting and whatnot is mostly taken by international students so u get the picture here.

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
I've always thought being a tutor or a lecturer would be such a cruisy job. Not great money by any means but the flexibility, job satisfaction, and low-stress factors are there.

X

xeuyrawp

The money is actually quite good, but:

Then there's the marking of 50+ assignments on the same bloody topic, which you aren't paid for (as it is covered in the hourly tutoring rate).
It depends on the course convener. Any work related to tutorials doesn't have to be paid. Some conveners pay their tutors for marking tute papers, although most don't...

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
What are the requirements for becoming a tutor anyway? I thought most of them were doing post-graduate studies.

X

xeuyrawp

What are the requirements for becoming a tutor anyway? I thought most of them were doing post-graduate studies.
Completely depends on the department and individual conveners...

I find that in the social sciences, you're generally doing a PhD and generally in second year or above to tutor, and that most tutors are either the convener themselves or their favourite PhD students. That being said, most of the law tutors frequently seem to be full-time staff, ie conveners of other LAW units.

In the natural sciences I've heard of honours students tutoring, so it's really whatever is appropriate. I guess in BusEc it's common for Master's students to tutor as well because that's so common? *shrug*

antisheep

HSC
In the natural sciences I've heard of honours students tutoring, so it's really whatever is appropriate. I guess in BusEc it's common for Master's students to tutor as well because that's so common? *shrug*
not that this is super relevant, but yeah i had an honours student as a tutor last year... it really surprised me when at the end of the sem he told us he was working on his honours thesis... but that was for a REALLY basic introductory math unit so it worked quite well.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
I'm surprised not to find more hatred and resentment in this thread - could it possibly be that people actually like Mq? :eek: This thread needs more :burn: (would be entertaining in some twisted way)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
thats because macquarie is a good university

anyway i didn't like the cement buildings

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
Ya, i guess the wi-fi has something left to be desired (and they blocked demonoid, argh).

I would've added smokers to the list, but frankly i haven't noticed many of them in the past few days...

-P_D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)