What do you enjoy about Law? (1 Viewer)

wintering

HSC
What aspects of Law make it fulfilling/worthwhile? Or rather, what do you like about your law studies in general (the course itself, class size, course structure, etc.)? What's the unit of study you've found most fascinating?

wintering

HSC
seriously?

does the 'prestige' translate into any real benefits, apart from being able to feel good about yourself? or is that basically it

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The prestige makes others unnecessarily intimidated of you?
That can accrue tangible benifits

04er

HSC
I like to read legal reasoning because it helps me to develop my own debating skills/logic. I enjoy reading unique cases to see how they are decided. I like to be mentally challenged and rewarded for clever but simple and concise answers. I also like to be surrounded by people who can expose me to unique ways of reasoning.

However I don't enjoy the common assumptions that others make about law students. I also hate the whole process of writing up law assignments for areas of law in which I have very little experience (which is the case for all law assignments).

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
1. Arguing - in law there often is no right answer so you can have great arguments with other law students in class.
2. The challange, law is difficult and it feels good when you finally grasp a difficult concept.
3. Reading weird and interesting cases - many cases are filled with irony and humour so they can make the tough reading all the more worth it.
4. Mooting - while scary and intimidating theres great fun standing up there and been torn apart my a judge, even better when its a real one rather than an academic. Once you moot in front of Supreme Court judges in the actual Supreme Court, you know that you have learnt something!
5. Using my legal knowledge at work and realising it does have some purpose.
6. It is nice to be thought of as smart, but we aren't really all that smart, we are just hard working, committed and doing something that most people wouldn't want to do.
7. How well it develops my writing skills - my academics in arts comment on how my writing as improved from my law studies.

It looks like you want some stuff about the unis so I'll give you some from MQ and UWS- good luck with the decision

Macquarie itself- the good:
1. The students are very competative so they make you work harder
2. There are lots of opportunities for people from any year to do mooting, witness examination, client interview and negotiations comps.
3. Some academics are fanatastic and can make something as boring as contracts interesting.

Macquarie its self - the bad:
1. Very philosophical based - not much focus on theory
2. Some atrocious academics they just wont get rid of
3. Poor selection of electives.
4. No PLT

UWS - the good:
1. Practical based program that intergrates mooting into subjects
2. PLT program that can be fast tracked by taking a few electives
3. Some great academics
4. Good list of electives

UWS - the bad:
1. Sometimes rather big classes
2. Travel between campuses if you do arts law
3. Bad parking situation (more students and they keep building new buildings on the old car parks)
4. Not much money so some facilities need some work,
5. One or too not so great academics.
6. Apathetic students

wintering

HSC
thanks for responding! i appreciate it. :)

04er - what's the atmosphere like at usyd?

The prestige makes others unnecessarily intimidated of you?
That can accrue tangible benifits
oooh. do elaborate?

is a roflcopter
HSC
the ability to comprehend a problem within a set of constraints and then find a solution while not directly violating those constraints.

04er

HSC
wintering said:
thanks for responding! i appreciate it. :)

04er - what's the atmosphere like at usyd?

oooh. do elaborate?
the atmosphere is very relaxed (at least when the professor isn't speaking) and you meet a lot of interesting people. there are a few law students who are too 'uptight' or 'in your face' for my liking but the great majority are really friendly.

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
its orgasmic nature. those that have read Hart's 'concept of law' will attest to this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)