What do you guys think of the Western Sydney guys supporting the hamas attack on the israelites and rallying over this? (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

souli

HSC
I believe you might be referring to one of my past comments. I'd just like to reiterate that I was not frowning upon every Palestinian/Israeli protest. I was criticising in particular the protest that occurred by Palestinian supporters outside the opera house. Yes, they have a right to protest. But I do believe that after burning Israeli flags and chanting 'Gas the Jews' there should have been state involvement. I agree with freedom of speech and all of that, but is it the death of democracy if you're simply not allowed to chant for the death of other people and make distasteful remarks about the Holocaust? I would say the same if there were Israeli protests where they chanted for the death of Muslims. Apart from this opinion, I am largely uninvolved in this whole situation and I don't have a 'side' if you will. Thanks by the way for keeping it civil and discusional, unlike lots of this thread and the wider media I suppose.
I think there comes a difficult point when discussing what can and can't be said at protests. It's definitely wrong to chant things like 'Gas the Jews', or to incite violence, at any protest no questions about it. It's a bit of a paradox; chanting something of that sort defeats the entire purpose of what the people are protesting for, (meant to be peacefully protesting for) the 'genocide against Palestinians.'

I'm sure that the people who attended; the people who were there for the right reasons, (to want to spread their message, etc, like the points I mentioned previously) are educated thoroughly about the issue and thus can separate emotion from action, to adopt a logical manner of communicating their views - to be rational about what they were protesting for and didn't mean for such an outcome. It convolutes their message.

All I can think is of that minority (perhaps those who haven't considered their reasons for attending in a logical, thoughtful manner, instead of emotion-based) who take a step too far and let their emotions take hold of them, saying things without considering them. Again, it wouldn't make sense for this to be planned when you consider why they were protesting in the first place, against a genocide. Why would they organize a protest to incite more genocide, or appreciate one of the past? I definitely think the eventuation of this chanting and burning of flags have played a part in the recent peaceful and silent protests that have been happening for Palestine; to avoid their message being clouded by the shameful minority who takes things a step too far.

I think the situation does need to be approached with sensitivity from both sides; it's important to note that at protests, particularly in this case, emotions are heightened; people are surrounded with an echo chamber of people who feel the same way as them.. so people say and do things they shouldn't because they let this validation of their suppressed feelings get to their head. Things happen that shouldn't. We can look back to history for many examples of this. I think it's a part of human nature to jump to extremes (unfortunately, in this case, was to chant and burn flags) when faced with vulnerability and problems.

In my opinion, I don't think the government should need to step in at protests. I think people have an innate understanding of what is right and what is wrong; what they should or shouldn't say/do. They should be able to understand their emotions and not let them take control at the moment; they should possess human decency to understand, in this case, the suffering of the Jewish population in the Holocaust and use that, even moreso, to motivate them in spreading their message to not let the same thing happen to their own people (as they're protesting against the 'Palestinian genocide'). But unfortunately, not all people are able to do this. I think it's very complex to know where to draw the line with government intervention in such a matter.

I can't remember who exactly posted the comments about the assimilation and negative views, I think Trebla also alluded to it as well. I found it very ironic, even disappointing (as a second-gen Australian) that comments can be made about people going back to 'where they came from', just because they voice an opinion someone doesn't like; or because they disagree with the actions of their government (jumping to extremes, hating on a certain group like I previously mentioned) or when people stand up for their beliefs.

I don't know what happened at the protests; I wasn't there. I'd like to, however, hope it was a minority which just reflected badly on the majority. Again, I definitely doubt it was the intention of the original protest organizers as the message that was conveyed due to this shameful minority is the exact opposite of what they were protesting for. And we have to consider the perspective of the media, which is already seemingly anti-Palestine.

And you don't have to thank me for keeping it civil - it's genuinely the bare minimum. It's important to have sensitivity and empathy when approaching these issues, as again these are real situations and real people's lives. Generally speaking, if we allow our views to be corroded with derogatory, illogical, irrational speech then our message becomes convoluted. It loses its value. I guess this last line kind of links back to what I was saying in the other paragraph about the protest - sometimes when things are important to us, we get taken away in the spur of the moment and can do things we don't want to. But hopefully having this kind of attitude will allow for greater, more open communication and debate in the future. I find it exciting that the youth (us) of society can discuss such issues in an open environment. It posits more space for understanding, awareness, empathy and personal growth.

year10studentpreparin

HSC
Bro ngl saying "sorry for personal attacks" is like saying "I'm not racist but ....."

Just don't say the insult in the first place

Edit; yes this may be hypocritical of me oops but I still want to say it (sorry)
yeah I know I specifically/intentionally put the end bit for that reason to make him feel like I have more sympathy on him because he needs some

year10studentpreparin

HSC
I think there comes a difficult point when discussing what can and can't be said at protests. It's definitely wrong to chant things like 'Gas the Jews', or to incite violence, at any protest no questions about it. It's a bit of a paradox; chanting something of that sort defeats the entire purpose of what the people are protesting for, (meant to be peacefully protesting for) the 'genocide against Palestinians.'

I'm sure that the people who attended; the people who were there for the right reasons, (to want to spread their message, etc, like the points I mentioned previously) are educated thoroughly about the issue and thus can separate emotion from action, to adopt a logical manner of communicating their views - to be rational about what they were protesting for and didn't mean for such an outcome. It convolutes their message.

All I can think is of that minority (perhaps those who haven't considered their reasons for attending in a logical, thoughtful manner, instead of emotion-based) who take a step too far and let their emotions take hold of them, saying things without considering them. Again, it wouldn't make sense for this to be planned when you consider why they were protesting in the first place, against a genocide. Why would they organize a protest to incite more genocide, or appreciate one of the past? I definitely think the eventuation of this chanting and burning of flags have played a part in the recent peaceful and silent protests that have been happening for Palestine; to avoid their message being clouded by the shameful minority who takes things a step too far.

I think the situation does need to be approached with sensitivity from both sides; it's important to note that at protests, particularly in this case, emotions are heightened; people are surrounded with an echo chamber of people who feel the same way as them.. so people say and do things they shouldn't because they let this validation of their suppressed feelings get to their head. Things happen that shouldn't. We can look back to history for many examples of this. I think it's a part of human nature to jump to extremes (unfortunately, in this case, was to chant and burn flags) when faced with vulnerability and problems.

In my opinion, I don't think the government should need to step in at protests. I think people have an innate understanding of what is right and what is wrong; what they should or shouldn't say/do. They should be able to understand their emotions and not let them take control at the moment; they should possess human decency to understand, in this case, the suffering of the Jewish population in the Holocaust and use that, even moreso, to motivate them in spreading their message to not let the same thing happen to their own people (as they're protesting against the 'Palestinian genocide'). But unfortunately, not all people are able to do this. I think it's very complex to know where to draw the line with government intervention in such a matter.

I can't remember who exactly posted the comments about the assimilation and negative views, I think Trebla also alluded to it as well. I found it very ironic, even disappointing (as a second-gen Australian) that comments can be made about people going back to 'where they came from', just because they voice an opinion someone doesn't like; or because they disagree with the actions of their government (jumping to extremes, hating on a certain group like I previously mentioned) or when people stand up for their beliefs.

I don't know what happened at the protests; I wasn't there. I'd like to, however, hope it was a minority which just reflected badly on the majority. Again, I definitely doubt it was the intention of the original protest organizers as the message that was conveyed due to this shameful minority is the exact opposite of what they were protesting for. And we have to consider the perspective of the media, which is already seemingly anti-Palestine.

And you don't have to thank me for keeping it civil - it's genuinely the bare minimum. It's important to have sensitivity and empathy when approaching these issues, as again these are real situations and real people's lives. Generally speaking, if we allow our views to be corroded with derogatory, illogical, irrational speech then our message becomes convoluted. It loses its value. I guess this last line kind of links back to what I was saying in the other paragraph about the protest - sometimes when things are important to us, we get taken away in the spur of the moment and can do things we don't want to. But hopefully having this kind of attitude will allow for greater, more open communication and debate in the future. I find it exciting that the youth (us) of society can discuss such issues in an open environment. It posits more space for understanding, awareness, empathy and personal growth.
nah idk about that chief.
Mob mentality is a real thing and Governments definitely should be allowed to intervene and by that I mean at least be around where people are protesting
Theres no way we can risk another pogrom or Kristallnacht ever happening again even if I am being hyperbolic well Mob mentality is a real thing
e.g more case study = rwandan genocide

souli

HSC
agreed

Nah sorry
but just like a lot of ethnics/other people have said here (said about their people) if you keep complaining about australia or the western world of how its worse and how ur old country is better then get your ass back there lmao
I am an ethnic Christian 3rd generation whos been to where his parents resided multiple times etc (third world country corrupt etc) and whenever a fellow ethnic keeps on complaining about the west or says that Australia or the west is doomed I make sure to remind them about the shthole they come from lmao
You do know a lot of us in western sydney legit fled from war in a place where there was no democracy, nobody is saying we should persecute people for their opinion or if they keep whining about the west or australia its more like its really bad taste to keep talking sht about the country that gave you freedom and rights LMAO
Hmmm, I have to disagree with you there.

Yes, I do understand your point of view. But just because you disagree with what a 'fellow ethnic' is saying; doesn't mean you should just dismiss their opinions entirely - their voice has the same value as yours. And even though Australia might be the country that gave them freedom and rights (which they're now using to voice their opinions :) ); maybe they can see and understand things you don't - maybe their knowledge from that other country motivates their fear that this country is going down the same path theirs did.

year10studentpreparin

HSC
Hmmm, I have to disagree with you there.

Yes, I do understand your point of view. But just because you disagree with what a 'fellow ethnic' is saying; doesn't mean you should just dismiss their opinions entirely - their voice has the same value as yours. And even though Australia might be the country that gave them freedom and rights (which they're now using to voice their opinions :) ); maybe they can see and understand things you don't - maybe their knowledge from that other country motivates their fear that this country is going down the same path theirs did.
maybe but then again its complex,
Its like me escaping from a country that had sharia law and then giving birth to kids who then prosted for sharia law enforced in australia because apparently the west is becoming degenerate.
That is completely ludicrous and you should be able to assimilate in the culture you join which is what the main point is
ever seen that video of that swedish education school for migrant men who have to be taught that 'women are not objects' lol

year10studentpreparin

HSC
maybe but then again its complex,
Its like me escaping from a country that had sharia law and then giving birth to kids who then prosted for sharia law enforced in australia because apparently the west is becoming degenerate.
That is completely ludicrous and you should be able to assimilate in the culture you join which is what the main point is
ever seen that video of that swedish education school for migrant men who have to be taught that 'women are not objects' lol
I am just saying a lot of the times ethnics protest is because they want the country to confirm to their own culture/laws/religion they brought over when they then escaped that country which was a crap hole only to want to protest about enforcing these such standards which made their own country 💩

souli

HSC
nah idk about that chief.
Mob mentality is a real thing and Governments definitely should be allowed to intervene and by that I mean at least be around where people are protesting
Theres no way we can risk another pogrom or Kristallnacht ever happening again even if I am being hyperbolic well Mob mentality is a real thing
e.g more case study = rwandan genocide
It becomes very difficult when governments get involved. Remember the Bloody Sunday massacre in Russia? Innocent people shot for marching down the street.

If the majority of people protesting are well-versed, educated in what they're protesting about and understand why they're there and are there for the right reasons; things like that wouldn't eventuate. If they know what message they want to convey; because it's a peaceful protest.. violence won't eventuate. Again, a few wrong-doers who went there for the wrong reasons or became aggressive due to heightened emotions shouldn't dictate and convolute the message of the majority.

year10studentpreparin

HSC
It becomes very difficult when governments get involved. Remember the Bloody Sunday massacre in Russia? Innocent people shot for marching down the street.

If the majority of people protesting are well-versed, educated in what they're protesting about and understands why they're there and are there for the right reasons; things like that wouldn't eventuate. If they know what message they want to convey; because it's a peaceful protest.. violence won't eventuate. Again, a few wrong-doers who went there for the wrong reasons or became emotional shouldn't dictate and convolute the message of the majority.
I didnt know about bloody sunday massacre and thats terrible the government did that but but at least governments/police forces are more controlled then a mob of people e.g 800k people killed in 100 days in Rwanda due to rallies and protests and radio advocating for the death of tutsis as well as kristallnacht when they sent 30k jews to concentration camps

year10studentpreparin

HSC

If the majority of people protesting are well-versed, educated in what they're protesting about and understand why they're there and are there for the right reasons; things like that wouldn't eventuate. If they know what message they want to convey; because it's a peaceful protest.. violence won't eventuate. Again, a few wrong-doers who went there for the wrong reasons or became aggressive due to heightened emotions shouldn't dictate and convolute the message of the majority.
Ok Id only agree if the protest leaders actually had control of the crowd and made sure to STATE and announce to everyone it is a peaceful protest and no threats etc.

year10studentpreparin

HSC
I didnt know about bloody sunday massacre and thats terrible the government did that but but at least governments/police forces are more controlled then a mob of people e.g 800k people killed in 100 days in Rwanda due to rallies and protests and radio advocating for the death of tutsis as well as kristallnacht when they sent 30k jews to concentration camps
also government intervention in protests literally can keep people safe.
I remember a danish activist group who were just protesting about the problems with increased immigration but they were really unpopular with the arab immigrants who threatened to murder or attack them which is why the police came and protected them so they could exercise their freedom of speech.
Government intervention goes both ways you know?

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
Just been scrolling through r/worldnews to get a different perspective on the war. I've noticed a couple of examples where Israel has caved into U.S. pressure with regard to their humanitarian treatment of those in Gaza, such as: Israel resumes water supply to southern Gaza after U.S. pressure and Israel approves entry of humanitarian aid to Gaza from Egypt after U.S. pressure.

Not that I'm entirely anti-Israeli, but when U.S. foreign ambassadors are the voice of reason in a foreign conflict... you know Israel might be doing something a little off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)