What do you guys think? (1 Viewer)

61st of April

HSC
I drive a convertible with a retractable hardtop and I love it. It doesn't matter to me that it's a FWD or that it's base was a hatchback - I don't spend time worrying about that. I just spend time enjoying driving it, because it's great to drive, and not because of how fast it is, or the fact that it wasn't originally designed as a convertible. It's tight in the corners, it's unbelievably easy to park and it has excellent fuel economy. That's what really matters to me. I don't need superquick acceleration, I don't care about horsepower, I am really grateful for my car, it's never let me down and it's a heap of fun to drive every time.

Just offering an alternate perspective :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I drive a convertible with a retractable hardtop and I love it. It doesn't matter to me that it's a FWD or that it's base was a hatchback - I don't spend time worrying about that. I just spend time enjoying driving it, because it's great to drive, and not because of how fast it is, or the fact that it wasn't originally designed as a convertible. It's tight in the corners, it's unbelievably easy to park and it has excellent fuel economy. That's what really matters to me. I don't need superquick acceleration, I don't care about horsepower, I am really grateful for my car, it's never let me down and it's a heap of fun to drive every time.

Just offering an alternate perspective :)
Truth be told that until you have driven a car with serious power you won't know what you're missing out on. I used to think my Civic 1.8L was friggin fast lol..

... but that being said, power and speed isn't everything especially for young drivers. If you are driving something which makes and compliments your lifestyle, then that is really what is important.

61st of April

HSC
Truth be told that until you have driven a car with serious power you won't know what you're missing out on. I used to think my Civic 1.8L was friggin fast lol..

... but that being said, power and speed isn't everything especially for young drivers. If you are driving something which makes and compliments your lifestyle, then that is really what is important.

I'm restricted from driving anything with any real power in it by the P-plate laws, but I'm doing fine with my mid/underpowered car ;) The most powerful car I've ever driven is the Mercedes = more power than my car and having power is alright, but I do a lot more driving at a constant speed of 60 or 80 or whatever the speed limit is, as opposed to stopping and starting at intersections and traffic lights. Heaps of power/fast acceleration is good for intersections, but I'm assuming it doesn't make a difference when you're cruising at a constant speed. I could be wrong though, seeing as I haven't driven a high-powered car at a constant speed, let alone driven a high-powered car...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm restricted from driving anything with any real power in it by the P-plate laws, but I'm doing fine with my mid/underpowered car ;) The most powerful car I've ever driven is the Mercedes = more power than my car and having power is alright, but I do a lot more driving at a constant speed of 60 or 80 or whatever the speed limit is, as opposed to stopping and starting at intersections and traffic lights. Heaps of power/fast acceleration is good for intersections, but I'm assuming it doesn't make a difference when you're cruising at a constant speed. I could be wrong though, seeing as I haven't driven a high-powered car at a constant speed, let alone driven a high-powered car...
It's really only useful for overtaking (especially up hills and when you have people in the car), and changing lanes especially when people don't want to let you in and start accelerating hard the moment they see you flick your indicator on. I don't like gunning it at the lights but when you have a jerk next to you who keeps refusing to let you in, sometimes I have no choice but to waste excessive amounts of petrol.

You're right though- when cruising, it doesn't make much difference. Although higher CC (larger displacement) engines tend to sound less rough/smoother/etc and are probably more fuel efficient at constant highway cruising speeds.

That being said, the downside of high power cars is sometimes they have very sensitive throttles which make it harder to control in start stop traffic.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
I would be interested to compare 61st aprils CC 206 to my Gti. I have a feeling the Gti would feel a lot more focused and stable. Cant imagine no roof and a smaller engine would help. It does handle well and goes great for a smaller hatch, cant imagine less power and no roof will do ti any favours. That said i would love to compare it against the Gti 180 too.

Hungwell, we get it bro, you are gay. Im fine with that, but there is no need to constantly reinforce the msg, stop being so insecure with your sexuality.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Lol... I drive an '88 Ford Falcon EA S-pack, and that is in the mid/mid-high power range for P-platers.

I hate driving anything with lesser power, if I'm in any of the aforementioned situations, I prefer to know I have enough power at my disposal to get out of any trouble. My sisters little 85kw Suzuki Swift is absolutely disgusting to drive... As you would expect, but it's mainly due to the tiny engine size.

seremify007 said:
You're right though- when cruising, it doesn't make much difference. Although higher CC (larger displacement) engines tend to sound less rough/smoother/etc and are probably more fuel efficient at constant highway cruising speeds.
True. I once made it up to Southport and back (from Murwillumbah - about 2 1/2 hours total travel time) on $10 petrol in my EA, where my friend in his little Toyota spent $15/20. I've also filled up the tank and gone to Brisbane and back and it used around $30. It uses practically nothing on the highway, but stopping and starting makes it thirsty :S.

61st of April

HSC
I would be interested to compare 61st aprils CC 206 to my Gti. I have a feeling the Gti would feel a lot more focused and stable. Cant imagine no roof and a smaller engine would help. It does handle well and goes great for a smaller hatch, cant imagine less power and no roof will do ti any favours. That said i would love to compare it against the Gti 180 too.
I'm sure your GTi will be much more powerful - I'm assuming it has a 2.0L engine? Mine is only a little 1.6 and is around 200kg heavier than yours, and I'm sure you would be able to feel the difference. It feels much more rigid with the roof up but I'm sure it's nothing like the hatch, and so yes, yours would definitely be much more focused and stable.

As for the GTi 180, I know it's a step up from the GTi but I don't know by how much - I'm assuming the difference is only slight.

61st of April

HSC
It's really only useful for overtaking (especially up hills and when you have people in the car), and changing lanes especially when people don't want to let you in and start accelerating hard the moment they see you flick your indicator on. I don't like gunning it at the lights but when you have a jerk next to you who keeps refusing to let you in, sometimes I have no choice but to waste excessive amounts of petrol.

That being said, the downside of high power cars is sometimes they have very sensitive throttles which make it harder to control in start stop traffic.
All this is true now I read it - I really have to floor the car to get around the dawdlers travelling between 70 and 80km/hr, but this doesn't happen all that often and most of the time I just slow down and follow them patiently (if I have the time that is...). Same with fools who try to cut you off at a lane merge - I normally don't have that problem but there is the occasional jerk now and then...

Your second point is also true - travelling at 90km/hr, my car is in top gear (there's only 4) and isn't as smooth as the 3.5L Pajero, and it only has 4 gears as well. Last I heard about fuel efficiency was that it was best at a high gear and low revs... dunno though

Yes I can imagine - trying to reverse parallel park and a single bump of the accelerator and the bonnet of the car behind is now in your boot... oops... (I'm a dreadful reverse parallel parker, as you may be able to tell hehe). I guess it just takes a bit of time to get used to the sensitivity of your car in start stop traffic

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
I doubt that stop/start sentiment very much. A modern v4000 quad turbo would make about the same power at stop/start speeds as a camry would. Surely you've realised the party zone on an evo is above 5k?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I doubt that stop/start sentiment very much. A modern v4000 quad turbo would make about the same power at stop/start speeds as a camry would. Surely you've realised the party zone on an evo is above 5k?
I greatly simplified my point for the sake of argument here but basically I was getting at the throttle lag in general (excuse my lack of use of proper terminology). Naturally as you put your foot down, you are expecting something, but then when nothing happens you put it down a bit harder... then it surges forward once power/torque comes on (such as in a turbo with turbo lag).

Start stop traffic is also difficult in cars which have very sensitive throttles and develop torque down low (opposite of turbo) whereby just a light touch of the accelerator can send you flying. This means you need to hold your foot over the throttle and press very delicately which can also create quite a bit of fatigue (or maybe I'm just old).

Obviously with more experience and familiarity you can overcome these, but it's still something which you need to remember because you don't want to surge forward and hit some fool who's decided to cut into your lane in traffic.

Note for others: a lot of modern cars have electronic throttles or gearboxes which compensate to a degree and make it a much smoother and more linear experience (linear as in, the more you put pedal down, the faster you go... in a very smooth directly proportionate way).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
nah i still call it fly by wire
What do you think of DBW/FBW then?

Both my cars (in Australia) have it and whilst it's not the same as a normal car, I've grown accustomed to it. My mate installed the e-throttle controller into his car and whilst it feels faster I don't know if it's necessarily a good thing. It's difficult to tell if it's my transmission or the electronic throttle which is making the drive feel different but either way, I don't mind it now.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
I greatly simplified my point for the sake of argument here but basically I was getting at the throttle lag in general (excuse my lack of use of proper terminology). Naturally as you put your foot down, you are expecting something, but then when nothing happens you put it down a bit harder... then it surges forward once power/torque comes on (such as in a turbo with turbo lag).

Start stop traffic is also difficult in cars which have very sensitive throttles and develop torque down low (opposite of turbo) whereby just a light touch of the accelerator can send you flying. This means you need to hold your foot over the throttle and press very delicately which can also create quite a bit of fatigue (or maybe I'm just old).

Obviously with more experience and familiarity you can overcome these, but it's still something which you need to remember because you don't want to surge forward and hit some fool who's decided to cut into your lane in traffic.
I think you're being pretty liberal here with your use of concepts like 'difficult' and 'hard to control'.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Then the whole thing becomes a void argument because they're restricted to slow cars, remember? I've driven a mates '06 V6 avalon. Plenty of power, none of it down low. Drove it from bankstown to a pub in parramatta, picked up a slab hten headed off to a hotel for my mates 18th. Piece of piss to park, both parallel on the street and rear to the wall in the hotel complex. The streets were largely empty so we did get to have a bit of fun with it.

Another fun car to drive was my best friends early 90's E290 merc stationwagon. Pressing the throttle 3/4 of the way down does literally nothing, then about 4mm more and you're on full throttle. I almost didn't make it out of the carpark at work without cleaning up a beamer and a 6 year old.

At any rate, they were both manageable for 'powerful' cars with 'sensitive' pedals. The hardest thing about managing the power was the automatic gearbox they both had.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Then the whole thing becomes a void argument because they're restricted to slow cars, remember? I've driven a mates '06 V6 avalon. Plenty of power, none of it down low. Drove it from bankstown to a pub in parramatta, picked up a slab hten headed off to a hotel for my mates 18th. Piece of piss to park, both parallel on the street and rear to the wall in the hotel complex. The streets were largely empty so we did get to have a bit of fun with it.
I thought we were trying to demonstrate some of the reasons why new drivers are restricted from more powerful cars...? Either way, I still found the cars startling the first time I moved up from my 1.3L Terios. Heck even the 1.8L Corolla was a huge step up!

Another fun car to drive was my best friends early 90's E290 merc stationwagon. Pressing the throttle 3/4 of the way down does literally nothing, then about 4mm more and you're on full throttle. I almost didn't make it out of the carpark at work without cleaning up a beamer and a 6 year old.

At any rate, they were both manageable for 'powerful' cars with 'sensitive' pedals. The hardest thing about managing the power was the automatic gearbox they both had.
True, the gearboxes do make a lot of difference in the power delivery but as mentioned above, to a novice driver who isn't yet able to fully control their right foot and understand the cars they are driving, having an unpredictable car is the last thing they need when there's plenty of other things to focus on.

ps. Doesn't your example in the Merc confirm why some cars should be restricted? That being said, an early 90's E290 Merc shouldn't be that fast/powerful especially with all that weight... but then I haven't driven it so can't really compare.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)