What do you guys think? (1 Viewer)

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Do you have a source for the banned porsches? A quick flick through the list shows that the only pre 94 banned cars are v8s/turbo sixes/high powered sixes. I've heard you could have a 968 but at the same time thought there was just a blanket ban.

The 92 HR32 GTR skyline isn't on the list (twin turbo inline 6), but there's a disclaimer at the bottom of every page saying that even if it's not listed, if it is a turbo/v8 it's banned regardless. I'd stay away from porsches on the basis of that unless I could see it in writing.

EDIT: nvm found it like 4 seconds after submitting post. Any insight as to why they arbitrarily picked 94 as the cutoff?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
There are heaps of super fast cars available to P-platers, RX-8, Lotus elise, S2000, only porsches built after 1994 are banned (because it would just be silly for P-platers to not be able to drive a 924)- an N/A 1993 911 is still an insanely fast car and P-legal.

The thing they all have in common is that they're expensive. If an elise were $20'000, I have no doubt they'd be banned.

It's basically class discrimination. If you're rich you can drive fast, but it's not for us plebs.

Same reason there have often been calls to ban superbikes (and all japanese superbikes since 1998 have been limited to 299km/h), but not supercars. The fact anyone can afford super performance, not just an elite few. is considered unacceptable.

Whilst I disagree with some points raised (e.g. an RX-8 is not a superfast car... well not from the factory), but there is a bit of discrimination due to the blanket bans (e.g. R32 vs. GTI golf). I don't think it is an intentional act but rather just an unfortunate consequence which was not contemplated and only affects a small minority. This is offset by the ability for you to apply for an exemption anyway.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It's a fair call though. I mean it isn't like you MUST drive a turbo car, and if your family only happens to have high performance vehicles, then one of them should subsidise you because after all, you are the one who benefits. Why should we as taxpayers subsidise the costs and risks of allowing you to drive that particular car?

As far as I can tell though, the exemptions aren't that tough to get. How a 20 year old friend of mine managed to gear himself up and buy a 135i and get an exemption is beyond me but hey, it worked.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
Why should we as taxpayers subsidise the costs and risks of allowing you to drive that particular car?
lolwat.

How does the government banning things and then making you jump through hoops to get back what should have never been banned, equate to taxpayers subsidising costs and risks?

Last time I checked I was responsible for any risks I took while driving.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
cue the mum screaming you're also responsible for the son you kill when you run into oncoming traffic

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
lolwat.

How does the government banning things and then making you jump through hoops to get back what should have never been banned, equate to taxpayers subsidising costs and risks?

Last time I checked I was responsible for any risks I took while driving.
The administrative costs of tailoring the scheme to suit a very small minority and also the costs borne by society (whether it be medical expenses, costs of ambulances, investigations, etc) when there is an increased likelihood of an accident.

I know its far-fetched but I was playing devils advocate here :) That being said, any extra costs incurred by the RTA are borne by the taxpayer. Nothing is ever free unfortunately.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
imagine how much better that would be with a hardtop
now it seems pretty gay hey

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
imagine how much better that would be with a hardtop
now it seems pretty gay hey
meh i'd rate it. most convertibles in the $100k+ brackets are decent. it's the cheap ones which are convertibles for the sake of image and sacrificing all other performance or worthwhile aspects of the car which sadden me.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
How good does the FT-86 look?

Very good is the answer. Wonder what it will cost in Australia?

I'll definitely be buying one, when I'm in my mid 40's, and a used example will be just about in my price range.

Co-developed with subaru, RWD 4-cylinder, there's going to be toyota and subaru versions, but subaru Australia boss says they won't import it here because they're arbitrarily drawing the line at AWD only for dumb brand marketing reasons no one cares about.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I am not sure about that car.. it looks awesome and I think it is a great new car to fill the hole in the market now that Celicas and Integras have disappeared off the market. The only downside is I am not sure what they are gonna do in terms of marketing this car. Is it going to be targeted towards the tuner crowd? If so, then it better be strictly manual without any compromises because otherwise lots of old farts who want a sportyish looking car will buy it. On the other hand if they do end up targeting the more financially capable market of middle aged individuals, it detracts from the appeal. It is a bit of a lose lose situation for now. Would be interested to see how it all plays out.

ps. Anyone up for a skid pan day at Eastern Creek this Fri?

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
If they honestly wanted this car to sell bigtime, it should come with a huge factory spoiler as standard, since the target market loves spoilers.

Optional accessories should include
-a metallic badge which says TURBO
-20" rims
-16 speaker sound system
-vertical doors
-angel eyes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)