What do you hate about law students? (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
velox said:
Congratulations you have first hand hearsay, does that make you proud? We were talking about salaries and not office size, staff turnover etc. There is no need to display your arrogance here.
dude, i'm not trying to be arrogant. nor am i too proud.

i'm merely trying to pass on a view from an JD ex-clerk that, if you are seriously considering Jones Day as a place to grad, then you should think twice.

i accept you are comparing salaries. but surely there's more to choosing a firm than salaries? salaries should be the least important consideration because, as travelfish has said, firms basically have a cartel going on. they set the salaries; it's a seller's market. what good is a $1,000-5,000 in the long run? if you want a high salary, follow your signature and go be a banker.

Last edited:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
dude, i'm not trying to be arrogant. nor am i too proud.

i'm merely trying to pass on a view from an JD ex-clerk that, if you are seriously considering Jones Day as a place to grad, then you should think twice.

i accept you are comparing salaries. but surely there's more to choosing a firm than salaries? salaries should be the least important consideration because, as travelfish has said, firms basically have a cartel going on. they set the salaries; it's a seller's market. what good is a $1,000-5,000 in the long run? if you want a high salary, follow your signature and go be a banker.
I know it's a bad place. We were comparing salaries of engineers to lawyers. It wasn't an issue of going to work for the highest salary. I agree that money is nothing in the long term if you dont like the firm/conditions. But anyway that was a different point.

And FYI, im not a salary chaser even if it may seem like it :)

travelfish

HSC
velox said:
Yeh you're right not top tier in aus. Conveniently you state the minimum super %. The best I could find was $63k + Super. I guess you could potentially make that to $80k if you counted bonus and potential sign on bonus.

Ok I admit there are no $80k top tier salaries going.

Why do lawyers get paid so little as grads?

Congratulations you have first hand hearsay, does that make you proud? We were talking about salaries and not office size, staff turnover etc. There is no need to display your arrogance here.
I admit to being confused by this post.

Earlier in the thread you stated:

"Really? I dont see engineers getting 80k a year at firms in capital cities...."

This statement asserts that graduates at firms in capital cities in Australia could get 80k (as salary or as a package was not made clear). You stated this point without providing any evidence.

When you were then pressed on this issue, you state, if I have understood you correctly, that the best you could find is 63k + super, which could be "stretched" to 80k. Again you provide no basis for where you obtained this figure, now how such a figure could be "stretched."

In the email above, you then throw in a question about why lawyers get paid "so little" as grads and then you conclude with a personal attack on Frigid.

The personal attack seems to be because Frigid stated that the source of his representation that Jones Day was not a good firm for graduates in Australia was first hand hearsay. Ironically, Frigid at least provided the source for his statement, but you still have not provided any for yours. Perhaps your sources are second hand hearsay?

I am only motivated to press this because I am tired of seeing inaccurate salary figures stated on the internet and in person. Law students really should have a realistic idea of the salary they can expect, and not be lead to believe grossly inflated sums.

Anyway, back to what remains of the late lunch break :/

Last edited:

circusmind

HSC
Marmalade. said:
Every time you post you display your arrogance.
He's probably the most useful and helpful poster on this forum, and has been for the last little while at least. You keep making an ass of yourself.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Exactly, how could Frigid possibly be arrogant? The sheer fact that he types in a miniscule font size (and has always done so) just shows his humility and modesty. Arrogance? Phhhssseeesh! At least we all know that he isn't trying to overcompensate for anything.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
neo o said:
Exactly, how could Frigid possibly be arrogant? The sheer fact that he types in a miniscule font size (and has always done so) just shows his humiliaty and modesty. Arrogance? Phhhssseeesh! At least we all know that he isn't trying to overcompensate for anything.
LOL. love you too neo. ;)

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Question: who the fuck is Marmalade?

Seconding the Frigid love.

monzi

HSC
First year law students shit me, they think they know everything.

Just because you came first in HSC Legal Studies, doesn't make you elite.

I work with a girl who studies law at UNSW and went to James Ruse High School. She thinks that gives her the right to act like a pretentious brat, I can't stand her.

monzi

HSC
Rebekkie said:
just after hsc results come out and they get accepted into law, if you ask what they're planning to do, they strut around looking like they're thinking 'oh yeah, i got 99.55...'
That's the thing, I know people who have attained 99+ and they don't have ANY social skills. They are just STUPID! Anybody can open up a book, learn it back to front and attain that kind of UAI.

It does NOT mean that you are the smartest thing on earth. I know people who have dropped out in their first semester, people who attained the 98+.

IMABOYDAMON!

Banned
HSC
monzi said:
First year law students shit me, they think they know everything.

Just because you came first in HSC Legal Studies, doesn't make you elite.

I work with a girl who studies law at UNSW and went to James Ruse High School. She thinks that gives her the right to act like a pretentious brat, I can't stand her.
Maybe a good fish slap will set her straight?

If that doesn't work, there's always the turkey slap.

hannahxxx

HSC
The thing I hate about some law students is the arrogance. The funny thing is I can always TELL who the law students are in my arts/humanities tuts because they're the ones who are ALWAYS talking, they never shut up, they have to nit pick every little thing. They're pretentious and they speak even when they've got nothing to say. Oh and when I'm in my law tuts there's some people who have no sense of morality or empathy. They just wanna go into commercial law and make money. They don't give a shit about the human side of things. Sometimes when i try to speak to other law students they have this darting eye thing going on, where they can never look at you properly and it looks as though they're always trying to think ahead of you.
There's more but that's all I can think of for now......

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
hannahxxx said:
The thing I hate about some law students is the arrogance. The funny thing is I can always TELL who the law students are in my arts/humanities tuts because they're the ones who are ALWAYS talking, they never shut up, they have to nit pick every little thing. They're pretentious and they speak even when they've got nothing to say. Oh and when I'm in my law tuts there's some people who have no sense of morality or empathy. They just wanna go into commercial law and make money. They don't give a shit about the human side of things. Sometimes when i try to speak to other law students they have this darting eye thing going on, where they can never look at you properly and it looks as though they're always trying to think ahead of you.
There's more but that's all I can think of for now......
You're usually pretty arrogant tbh
I don't think I've come across the darting eye thing though...but I usually hang around the same law students who are pretty decent

hannahxxx

HSC
Nothing. It's the people who cheat and knock aside anyone to get it ( the cut throat kind of people) that piss me off

OsamaBinLaden

Banned
HSC
monzi said:
That's the thing, I know people who have attained 99+ and they don't have ANY social skills. They are just STUPID! Anybody can open up a book, learn it back to front and attain that kind of UAI.

It does NOT mean that you are the smartest thing on earth. I know people who have dropped out in their first semester, people who attained the 98+.
JESUS CHRIST! You've got so much spite that it really isn't funny.

OsamaBinLaden

Banned
HSC
hannahxxx said:
Nothing. It's the people who cheat and knock aside anyone to get it ( the cut throat kind of people) that piss me off
Sweetheart, that's how life is. You've got to stab your best friend in the back and steal their notes to be able to really excel. Dog eat dog.

hannahxxx

HSC
OsamaBinLaden said:
Sweetheart, that's how life is. You've got to stab your best friend in the back and steal their notes to be able to really excel. Dog eat dog.
Mate you haven't even finished the HSC. How on earth do you know what it's like being in law tuts etc?

OsamaBinLaden

Banned
HSC
hannahxxx said:
Mate you haven't even finished the HSC. How on earth do you know what it's like being in law tuts etc?
My comment doesn't necessarily relate only to law tuts, but rather the world in general.

Also, for your information, I've been to quite a few lectures with my brother for law.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)