What do you think was the E4 cutoff for Maths Ext 2?? (1 Viewer)

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
Hm...that's what I assumed so...

I mean, wouldn't they just give out 100 aligned? If that's not actually 100 aligned, does that mean I am not getting 100 scaled mark out of it even though I was placed first?

I thought 100 raw = 100 aligned definitely. I haven't seen any case where you get 99 aligned with 100 raw. (purely from external result point of view). And yeah, I am aware that there can be decimals "behind the scene". But I think it is highly unlikely for my case as 6 people or so topped it and they even go to like 1 or 2 decimal places...I have no way to explain this...

But I don't know what BOS does. I might ask few people around at school if they know about this or not...
Nah it's almost definite that you all got 120.
THere are decimals but i'm pretty sure you are actually all ties..

Actually, you know for MX1, Sen Lin was intially told he topped it by himself first. Because he topped 4u too, and on the website it says it considers the ranks in extension subjects.
But this decision was revised later.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
Nah it's almost definite that you all got 120.
THere are decimals but i'm pretty sure you are actually all ties..

Actually, you know for MX1, Sen Lin was intially told he topped it by himself first. Because he topped 4u too, and on the website it says it considers the ranks in extension subjects.
But this decision was revised later.
Yeah, I thought so.

I guess it just "considers" the ranks in extension subjects. I am sure some other guy among the top in 2 unit would have beaten me in 3 unit but I was ranked first. And I am also sure that there are few others in 2 unit top rankers who got less than I did in 3 unit but we were all equal first.

So yeah, BOS is pretty retarded.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
lyounamu said:
Yeah, I thought so.

I guess it just "considers" the ranks in extension subjects. I am sure some other guy among the top in 2 unit would have beaten me in 3 unit but I was ranked first. And I am also sure that there are few others in 2 unit top rankers who got less than I did in 3 unit but we were all equal first.

So yeah, BOS is pretty retarded.
Talk about an understatement. We should have a thread entitled "Who thinks the board of studies is run by a bunch of mindless goats?". I know plenty of people in the education system who believe that's actually true :rofl:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
lyounamu said:
If that's not actually 100 aligned, does that mean I am not getting 100 scaled mark out of it even though I was placed first?
No, your scaled mark is definitely 100, we can see that from Table A3 (where the maximum scaled mark is shown as 50.0). The top students get the maximum scaled mark whether they got 100 or not.

lyounamu said:
I thought 100 raw = 100 aligned definitely.
This is true as well.

The only question is whether the six of you scored a raw mark of 100%. It's likely that you did (that all six of you did). But you can't know for certain, and I think that's a bit silly.

runnable

HSC
dp624 said:
No, the Board of studies says 1 decimal point on their website. And they dont even show decimals at all!
Look, i'd say a 99.96 is pretty darn close to a 99.98... not worthy of splitting up a prize.
It may be close but they do separate it into even smaller decimals to be used by the Maths Association. One year they were forced to give out 2 prizes because two people tied to the very last decimal. It is common for more than one person to get 1st in 4U Maths but there has only been one time that the Maths Association had to give their prize to 2 people.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
runnable said:
It may be close but they do separate it into even smaller decimals to be used by the Maths Association. One year they were forced to give out 2 prizes because two people tied to the very last decimal. It is common for more than one person to get 1st in 4U Maths but there has only been one time that the Maths Association had to give their prize to 2 people.
1993? Anthony Henderson with someone else I am presuming?

runnable

HSC
I think all the 1st-in-2U people got 120/120 and not say 119/120.

runnable

HSC
lyounamu said:
1993? Anthony Henderson with someone else I am presuming?
Yea not sure about the date but it did apparently only happen once. While its common for more than one person to be first in 4U.

dp624

HSC
runnable said:
Well we'll find out this year. I'm almost definite that both sen and max will get the prize. =P

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
Well we'll find out this year. I'm almost definite that both sen and max will get the prize. =P
They both should get it since they came equal first.

I am also presuming that they came first in their own schools too. Then, it's just too obvious that they will both get it since they would have got exactly same internal and external.

sirfeathers

HSC
whoa...ok i'm walking into the middle of a massive debate, but anyway:

in my screwy 4U exam i'm pretty sure I got around 82-83/120, got 92 as exam mark

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
sirfeathers said:
whoa...ok i'm walking into the middle of a massive debate, but anyway:

in my screwy 4U exam i'm pretty sure I got around 82-83/120, got 92 as exam mark
I think a got about the same raw in 4u but got 94

For 3unit I'm guessing I got about 80-81/84 raw and got 99 aligned

@ namu... I think you should def. redo 3u. 48/50 is still a good mark but with another year of preparation im sure youll get 99+ no doubt. As for 4unit, if I were in your position I wouldnt do it, just for the fact that I could spend the time that would use for 4unit on other subjects, possibly boosting your other marks. But then again it's up to you, and i'm sure youll smash 4unit if you do it.

lionking1191

HSC
midifile said:
I think a got about the same raw in 4u but got 94

For 3unit I'm guessing I got about 80-81/84 raw and got 99 aligned

@ namu... I think you should def. redo 3u. 48/50 is still a good mark but with another year of preparation im sure youll get 99+ no doubt. As for 4unit, if I were in your position I wouldnt do it, just for the fact that I could spend the time that would use for 4unit on other subjects, possibly boosting your other marks. But then again it's up to you, and i'm sure youll smash 4unit if you do it.
if he's only going to redo 3U and not 4U then it's only going to be 1unit and the difference it makes won't be a lot. if he does do 4U then he could double his 3U mark, which is already good, but loses out on his 100 for 2U. of course he'll get 100 or close to it anyway for 4U but really for the amount of extra time and effort (a lot of people say 4U takes up half their total study time) i think it could be put into other subjects.

but if he enjoys it, i don't see why not. and if he's going to do 4U he might as well do 3U again since it'll just be some revision which he'll need to do for 'harder 3u' topic anyway.

runnable

HSC
Also take the risk that 2009 3U exam may be messed up. Getting an even lower mark.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
So back to the main topic of this thread. What do you guys think was the E4 cut-off anyway?

If 70% in Mathematics Extension 2 is aligned to 90% then I would definitely do this subject.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Dragonmaster262 said:
So back to the main topic of this thread. What do you guys think was the E4 cut-off anyway?

If 70% in Mathematics Extension 2 is aligned to 90% then I would definitely do this subject.
yeah 70% or thereabout = 45/50 aligned

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)