What do you think...? (1 Viewer)

Black Hawker

HSC
Hey.

Just wondering what you think of my resume (its only a high school one). I have edited our my personal information. Can't people suggest or comment on what needs to be improve etc?

Also, anyone here who works at Greater Union. I'm asking this because Maccas is getting boring and was thinking of applying at Greater...

Thanks.

hellomike

HSC
First of all, you have to work out where you want to take your Resume forward. That means if you want a retail career, you have to tailor your Resume for it. There are a few problems with your Resume. First of all, it is too long and many employers don't have time and they want a 1 page resume.

1. Remove date of birth
2. Keep your career goal succinct (For e.g. I would like a retail career with my past customer service and retail experience).
3. Always put Experience first. List them and your achievements.
(For e.g.
- Customer Service - serving customers, preparing lunch menu
- Winner - Maccas Saftey Employee Competition )
You don't have to add like you won an ipod nano, like they arent going to care

4. Education
2005 - 2006
HSC - x school
Studied x x x

5. Achievements
Distinction - UNSW Maths Comp

Keep it concise and to the point as I have done above. Facts not verbs.

Black Hawker

HSC
Thanks for the advice hellomike. I will try to do as many suggestions I can. I don't think I will be able to concise it to one page - what could I delete?

G

Gavvvvvin

Get rid of your career goal all together, get rid of half of those achievements, dont put down hobbies that make you sound like a nerd, your formatting is horrible.

hellomike

HSC
If you can't fit it down to one page then make it two pages of concise information. You may have good intent with your Resume but often Managers don't have a lot of time.

As I have said, tailor your Resume to the position you want to apply. For example, say you do go for that Greater Union job. Greater Union will want to know if you have customer service or retail experience more than your personal achievements. Because you are working at Maccas already, make sure you list Maccas first in your employment history and add that award you got working there.

1. Contact details
2. Employment
3. Education
4. Interests
5. Referees.

Like I said, don't say, "I was awarded", "I achieved etc". Just state the year you got it and what it is. You could say it kills of your Resume but that is what the interview is for - to talk and discuss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)