what do you think...? (1 Viewer)

lislabella

sunshine
HSC
do you guys think that the HSC would be a fairer judge of ability and commitment (and therefore the UAI would be a fairer judge of intellect) if the HSC was a combination of accumulated scores from year five, when we do the skills test, through to twelve and final tests?

i just think that 24 months of hardcore work and assessment is an unfair judgement when some/most of us get stressed out and can't perform at our best under the pressure.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
there are a lot of smart kids who never really showed their intelligence until year 12.

and the hsc in general isn't that accurate

i see the most intelligent, articulate people that can participate in class discussions - begin questions that really create a domino effect, make people think in different perspectives, engage in problem solving (not that maths/science kind) and don't end up with the uai that their intelligence boast.

all in all, the uai meant nothing to me. not even for the competitive course i got into.

tempco

HSC
examinations in general are unreliable to an extent. so many factors which may determine how you perform, which isn't related to your intelligence. until they can plug a wire into your mind to judge your intelligence, you'll have to be content with whatever they come up with.

FinalFantasy

HSC
i reckon da HSC can't judge one's intelligence at all, cuz ppl who are "dumb" can just work really hard and become "smart".

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
i agree sort of
cos in class i can know all the work (this is english in particular) and participate in discussions and that, but when the exam rolls around, i fall to pieces

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
It would probably be fairer, but it would suck cos you go through stages - one year you work really hard and the next it's like, fuck that... can't be stuffed. :p So it probably wouldn't be a good indication of ability, now that I think about it.

HSC
i remember we had all the common contendors (ie. the dux of year 11) go really well always in year 11 half yearlies and yearlies, for these half yearlies, all these top 10% awards went to totally different people, not even the dux got it for all subjects, she got owned and was real cut

people nobody heard of suddenly started to destroy their subjects, good on them, so i think its fair to leave the system as it is, some people dont pull their socks up till now

pirotess4

HSC
N/A
Casmira said:
i remember we had all the common contendors (ie. the dux of year 11) go really well always in year 11 half yearlies and yearlies, for these half yearlies, all these top 10% awards went to totally different people, not even the dux got it for all subjects, she got owned and was real cut

people nobody heard of suddenly started to destroy their subjects, good on them, so i think its fair to leave the system as it is, some people dont pull their socks up till now
Yeah i agree.....although the HSC can be very stressful the slight pressure to get going makes people step into line - thats what i love about senior school all the dickheads who dont want to try leave so the serious ones are left there to work and help each other and get by

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
there are a lot of smart kids who never really showed their intelligence until year 12.
True... I must admitt (not being up myself or anything) that I'm someone who was like that up until yrs 11 & 12 everyone (teachers inc) that I was pretty dumb and doughy!!! I think it's because I have a moderate to severe physical disability, so everyone wrote me off despite doing a full mainstream 7-12. I think it was the perception and assumpion that coz my legs don't work neither does my brain!
But I did get 80's in more than one subject in the HSC :p And I'm proud to say that post HSC I'm topping 4 out of 6 subjects in my Welfare course (which I started a month late!) It just keeps getting better. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)