What exercise book would be recommended? (1 Viewer)

OH NOE zzz

HSC
N/A
I'm preparing to purchase some exercise books for year 12.

• Should I use A4 or A5?
  • How much pages would I need? (estimate)

ademayd

HSC
A4
pages equals 2 times 96 pages times number of subjects
this is what worked for me

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Don't bother with grid exercise books for maths - serve no purpose and cost more. Unless you are going for the expensive ones, come end of year ? there'd be lots of exercise books cheap at Big W and maybe Officeworks.

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
One thing I hate, as a teacher, is when students use those 5 subjects in one book type as there are insufficient pages in them for any single subject and they also stop the teacher collecting books to mark work but if your are doing a subject like Modern History they are good as you can do each topic in one section although there are usually heaps of sheets as well for these types of subjects.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
One thing I hate, as a teacher, is when students use those 5 subjects in one book type as there are insufficient pages in them for any single subject and they also stop the teacher collecting books to mark work but if your are doing a subject like Modern History they are good as you can do each topic in one section although there are usually heaps of sheets as well for these types of subjects.
Yeah. Those books are really inconvenient as well - and if you're looking for convenience - often times, you won't have a subject on a particular day, and if you wanna keep your bag light, it's better to get separate books.

Leave these spirex books for uni.

Cupcake16XD

HSC
eeeek, I got those already lol have to go shopping again D:

lil_pembo

HSC
i found for english the 5 subject book was great as i could put each topic under a "subject"

For all other subjects i got small folders and used one for each subject, it was much easier cause i didnt have to spend time sticking sheets in, i could just hole punch them in. Then I got big folders and put the sheets i was done with in each of the big folders (one for each subject.

If you want to choose between A4 and A5, go A4, much easier for sheets (handouts)

But if you go with books, get a new one for each topic.

amanda222

HSC
N/A
If you are really organised, I have found that using those lever arch folders are quite good. You can buy paper refills as you need them but you can also store handouts a lot easier. If you have the loose leaf paper and the plastic sleeves-everything is a lot easier to store when compared to gluing in sheets.
Our school has gone crazy with technology and as a result-apart from Maths-pretty much all my work is done on computer through OneNote but I still use the folders and I think they are great.
However, if you have a tendancy of losing things or being disorganised-this probably isn't the best option

silentdreamer

HSC
I also really like using loose leaf and storing them all in a folder with dividers for each subject. It makes storing and organising sheets so much easier and you can just buy more when you run out as well as remove a whole stack when you finish a certain topic to save space.

That said, A4 books are a lot more practical than A5.

thorax94

HSC
I have a separate display folder for each subject and put my A4 book in the first sleeve with any handouts in the rest. I don't like the big binder folders because a) they get heavy, bulky and cumbersome for mind b) I find all my pages/handouts rip and then I have to get reinforcements and they are really tacky and c) I can't have a separate one for each subject.

interesting

HSC
N/A
I have a separate display folder for each subject and put my A4 book in the first sleeve with any handouts in the rest. I don't like the big binder folders because a) they get heavy, bulky and cumbersome for mind b) I find all my pages/handouts rip and then I have to get reinforcements and they are really tacky and c) I can't have a separate one for each subject.
but display folders only have around 20 sleeves :S

thorax94

HSC
Well I empty them after each module and I put a couple in one sleeve depending on the focus and stuff like that. How many sheets do you get lol?

thorax94

HSC
Well maybe my teacher is just lazy. I just packed up my chemistry and all I have are K.I.S.S sheets, exam/assessment notifications and homework I have printed out. All the work comes from our textbook. I guess I get the luxury

hayhay2012

HSC
I got 240 page spiral books for each subject...I sure hope they don't fall apart

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I got 240 page spiral books for each subject...I sure hope they don't fall apart
Bit over the top? There's no way I ever used more than like 50 pages per subject in the HSC.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I still used the grid books for maths... so I could find them easily in my locker. Other than that, I used the spiral books - they were nice. I had to use multiple ones though because 50 pages per subject is not enough...

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I still used the grid books for maths... so I could find them easily in my locker. Other than that, I used the spiral books - they were nice. I had to use multiple ones though because 50 pages per subject is not enough...
Whaaat, as if. Although, I spent half my time in Yr 12 typing essays, doing past papers and doing notes - not really doing the homework. So yeah, maybe that's why my books were so empty.

Skeptyks

HSC
Bit over the top? There's no way I ever used more than like 50 pages per subject in the HSC.
I finished nearly 3 128 pages Math 2 and 3 unit as well as nearly one and half 128 page books for other subjects. 50 pages would definitely not be enough for me :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)