What extra stuff should we learn for 4 unit (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
CIS is indeed not in the syllabus.

However, it is often used by convention. If you really want to be safe, you can begin your question with 'let cis(x)=cos(x)+isin(x)' before using it. This is now allowed, as you have defined it.

alexobern

HSC
so can we use it straight away without worrying about marks lost, or should we just define it and then use at as much as we want?

braintic

HSC
N/A
CIS is indeed not in the syllabus.

However, it is often used by convention. If you really want to be safe, you can begin your question with 'let cis(x)=cos(x)+isin(x)' before using it. This is now allowed, as you have defined it.
The syllabus refers to 'Modulus-Argument Form' It does not specify which version of Mod-Arg form can or cannot be used. cosx+isinx is referred to later in De Moivres theorem, but at no point in the syllabus is it stated that Mod-Arg form = cosx+isinx.

Either form will be accepted in an exam without requiring a definition.

Source: Teacher

manscux

HSC
^someone doesn't like selective schools

also i go to a selective school and the teachers haven't taught us anything outside of the syllabus and barely taught us what was in it.

quick questions though, are we allowed to use cis form in complex numbers? i don't think we are, and i personally wouldn't, but a friend has asked...

I dont like the attitude of some individuals who elevate themselves amongst others because of the school they attend......

braintic

HSC
N/A
I dont like the attitude of some individuals who elevate themselves amongst others because of the school they attend......
I don't like the attitude of some individuals who are so insecure that they feel the need to attack someone just because they say they go to a selective school.

alexobern

HSC
yeah, where did i elevate myself? i simply stated that i go to a selective school and didn't learn anything outside the syllabus, in order to add to a post by ahdil33 that said all selective schools kids learn this stuff. Or were you referring to ahdil33s comment in that he elevated himself? because i don't think i'm any better than anyone at x2, hell i'll be lucky if i manage an e4.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
The syllabus refers to 'Modulus-Argument Form' It does not specify which version of Mod-Arg form can or cannot be used. cosx+isinx is referred to later in De Moivres theorem, but at no point in the syllabus is it stated that Mod-Arg form = cosx+isinx.

Either form will be accepted in an exam without requiring a definition.

Source: Teacher
In my own HSC, I used only CIS and was not penalised for that, as my raw mark report suggests.

However, the majority of students on the forums here are much rather inclined to take the safe side at the expense of 3 seconds of their exam time.

In my opinion, all of this 'is it in the Syllabus? Is it not in the Syllabus? Do HSC markers let us do this?' questioning is rather silly, but that is a topic for another thread.

manscux

HSC
quote: if this is the case, then i apologize for misinterpreting : quote

i wasn't refering to you mate... i was talking to adhill.... and was referring to his comment "that's the reason you're doing so poorly in 4u."

ahdil33

HSC
Your bolded part is very very questionable.... please Pm after your results come up for 4 unit....

If anything selective kids (not all but it looks like your school does) treat maths like english... they memorise these stupid things and than like english paste what they saw into exam...... (i think i validate myself by your statement "we do, not sure if all of them")
we "other" kids infact dont know about these conjectures.... but mate the thing is WE DONT NEED TO KNOW THEM..... WE APPLY OUR KNOWLEDGE FROM WHAT WE HAVE BEEN LEARNT IN THE CORES AND APPLY IT TO NEW CIRCUMSTANCES
Dude I'm trolling haha. Oh sarcasm...so hard to pick up over the internets. If you looked the last two things up they're relating to problems which have taken the greatest mathematicians like a century to solve.

Only said that because everyone was posting random shit. But on selective schools; our school doesn't do english properly, I agree, but we still do well. as far maths we are actually good at it.

And on that note I'm not that good at 4u haha, heaps of people in non-selective schools are way better than me.

oh internet

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)