What happened??? (1 Viewer)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Riproot, my dad has a few days left according to doctor. Mum said she wants me to go to melb, and she will likely move there with me and bro some time in future.

There's nothing more that I want in my life than to become h Hollywood actor, voice actor and comedian :D any help from your friends would be greatly appreciated Riproot.
Okay, well, just don't make any plans until he passed though.
Accept your offer now, because you can always defer later.

Well, what do you want to know?
We can talk on my wall
or if you know my FB you can message me there

Right now your family needs to be together. Everything can wait.
^

Lol you two guys thinking your high IQ will get your anywhere in the HSC. Newsflash the HSC is like 90% work/effort and 10% intelligence.
It's probs more 50:50
Considering I still got what I got with little effort.

But my whole point was intelligence doesn't help if you don't work hard
I've learned that
Like, I haven't had any ~major~ set backs to teach me this considering I still got into and passed my first year of med without much effort
BUT to do well in ANYTHING in life, you need to put in effort.

not true

higher intelligence > absorb content quicker and have a complete understanding > study less

everyone has seen those kids no offence who study 6 hours a day but still end up getting 70s
Yeah
This guy at my school studied legit 5-6 hours a day and got 89.55 or something
It happens.

hayabusaboston

HSC
Okay, well, just don't make any plans until he passed though.
Accept your offer now, because you can always defer later.

Well, what do you want to know?
We can talk on my wall
or if you know my FB you can message me there

^

It's probs more 50:50
Considering I still got what I got with little effort.

But my whole point was intelligence doesn't help if you don't work hard
I've learned that
Like, I haven't had any ~major~ set backs to teach me this considering I still got into and passed my first year of med without much effort
BUT to do well in ANYTHING in life, you need to put in effort.

Yeah
This guy at my school studied legit 5-6 hours a day and got 89.55 or something
It happens.
Idk ur fb, can u message me, u noe my name lol. And I had a friend who studied till early morning most nights during hsc, got 82 atar. Sheesh, poor guy. Iirc he got into his course tho

I'm tired and hot sigh, gnight everyone. Don't sleep in the corner like me, it's 90 degrees. Keep ur windows open too.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I was not picking on your post at all. I just wanted to point out that "Advanced Science" is a misnomer. That a "Bachelor of Science" from MelbU is just as good, if not better than a "Bachelor of Advanced Science" from SydU. I think this designation (Adv Sc) came about because, now there is now a need to distinguish it from a dumbed down version of the course.
Again, that's subjective I think there are pros and cons for the individual student. Notwithstanding the difference/ease of getting to Syd and Melb for the student of course.

Like a pro for UMELB is that they is enforced breadth for students, which I think is actually a really good thing for undergrad students. Conversely, some students would hate it if they really know exactly what they want to do or (and this was in my case) wasn't exactly sure of what area of biology I wanted to focus on so decided to do mostly science in first year and still have pre reqs for the widest possible of science second year subs. Having an enforced out of science elective is either a blessing or curse depending on the student.

Conversely, I decided to choose Adv Sci as there is breadth for SSP studies which offer fantastic small class sizes, or if you are a mega smartie TSP students. Unis all have different ways of pushing their capable students-but the programs at USYD I liked because the adv units are an essential part of the program. I'm not aware of an equivalent system at UMELB.

I wasn't trying to push one is better than the other-though you clearly think UMELB's is superior. And I obviously made the choice that USYD was personally better for me (academically and because I wanted to live in Syd). There's no arguing they are both highly ranked universities in science (as is ANU/UNSW). At the end of the day, a degree is a piece of paper and it's not about where you do it, but what you get done with it.

Well I thought I knew everything few weeks before, so I played skyrim and jrpg's most of time :haha: but yea I still think I knew things thoroughly. Anyway no I had no tutor for anything, I felt I was capable enough on my own.

You say wot wrong me... Idk tbh. Maybe my school science teachers were all the while teaching me completely wrong long response techniques haha. Idc. Maths m8 I've emphasized many times throughout the thread, I calculated with friend our marks according to carroysticks, he got 13 more marks when I very clearly had more of the paper covered than him, my maths teacher told me I have horrific scribble for working, so only logical conclusion for the missing marks is my writing quality. Blah.

And I hate med ffs, I pray to god I get into acting school next year during science course at melb, so i don't have to Fuck around in a career I despise
Ar ok fair enough, because you did UMAT I assumed you were really interested tbh.

Would you be looking to get at the VCA for 2nd year? Maybe you could do your breadth in acting courses and do them at VCA :) Attempt at best of both worlds for first year?

Rippy and effy were on the money about wanting to stay near your dad and with the deferring the offer. In fact Rippy's post was 1000/10 awesome tonight.

Condolences to your fam at this tough time.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Idk ur fb, can u message me, u noe my name lol.
I actually don't know your name :/ ~~

Ar ok fair enough, because you did UMAT I assumed you were really interested tbh.

Would you be looking to get at the VCA for 2nd year? Maybe you could do your breadth in acting courses and do them at VCA :) Attempt at best of both worlds for first year?

Rippy and effy were on the money about wanting to stay near your dad and with the deferring the offer. In fact Rippy's post was 1000/10 awesome tonight.

Condolences to your fam at this tough time.
Yeah, I assumed the umat thing too

Oh yeah, deffs check out VCA!
If you're going to Melbs then you're already there and stuff ~~~

my post probs didn't come across as well as I wanted (dat engrish)
but hopefully it was helpful
but still real
I don't think going easy on haya is going to help
but he needs truth, not meanness and criticism

Yeah, I hope you guys don't suffer too much through this tough time; I've been in a similar situation and I know it isn't easy, but I did have a bit of an escape so I can't imagine how you're doing. :/

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

but still real

Yeah, I hope you guys don't suffer too much through this tough time; I've been in a similar situation and I know it isn't easy, but I did have a bit of an escape so I can't imagine how you're doing. :/
Nah, your style is blunt but like the advice is all good and gee *thumbs up*

Some people take the truth better in a blunt way anyway; no need for flowery language-ness also it's like 2AM so yeah lol Truth expressed in a constructive way are helpful, not meanness nor just saying what someone wants to hear if it's not true.

Also feeling for all these kids that went into the HSC not knowing their schools mark ridiculously easy, and then get a big shock. Sometimes, it's not necessarily even that they aren't intelligent but they just didn't get taught how to tailor their knowledge properly in the style of how to answer? Or they just getting taught properly and they are capable of more. Anyway, uni is the time the playing field is level.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Really? It's pretty much the same as HS.
How so? I think uni is really different in lots of regards.

Once you at the uni, you have access to the same lectures and materials etc. Whereas prior to that, one student may have gone to top tier school and a tutor for every sub etc. and one student may have been doing like distance ed with a dodge teacher and they have no peer exposure to know what is expected. Before, you say, well individual work ethic always exceeds etc. Well yes, hard work is good but if you don't know the outlines, if your teachers don't understand how hsc marking works and you get 99-100 for every assessment at school and are assured b6s-well even if you are trying, you are being disadvantaged by way of ignorance because you thought you were on top of it all and working ineffectively. At uni, you get the mark and your profs can explain why so etc. That's what I meant in regards to uni being more level.

Unless you are talking about a carry on effect of just having better resources/academics growing up or scaling at uni or competition between students intra/interuniversity or something...but that's what I meant by level ^.

enoilgam

HSC
Uni is very similar to HS - externally, it appears very different, but really, it's the same game. It's like the difference between the NRL and State of Origin - Origin is faster and harder, but ultimately, it's still rugby league.

Unless you are talking about a carry on effect of just having better resources/academics growing up or scaling at uni or competition between students intra/interuniversity or something...but that's what I meant by level ^.
I was referring more to this - which is a big part of why the uni playing field isnt really level.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Uni is very similar to HS - externally, it appears very different, but really, it's the same game. It's like the difference between the NRL and State of Origin - Origin is faster and harder, but ultimately, it's still rugby league.

I was referring more to this - which is a big part of why the uni playing field isnt really level.
You likely see them as similar as you were never truly satisfied with either in the same academic sense. Most people find uni very different. The only thing haya has got to worry about is that he will be disappointed in his results again if he is complacent again at university with his study efforts, provided he still has the same high expectations. Complacency is not good at any tertiary institute or job imho.

More level if two students are intelligence/work equivalent but just had vastly different opportunities-once in university, more level but life is never truly level. Scaling, everyone has the same hit in each unit, but then yes, it can be hard to compare students where faculties scale and others don't etc.

enoilgam

HSC
You likely see them as similar as you were never truly satisfied with either in the same academic sense. Most people find uni very different.
That isnt really relevant to what I'm saying - learning is learning, uni is just a higher level to HS, that's why it seems so different. But in reality, it's school.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
That isnt really relevant to what I'm saying - learning is learning, uni is just a higher level to HS, that's why it seems so different. But in reality, it's school.
No it is relevant as personal experience can make two very different places seem the same because your feelings towards it are the same, rather than the place being the same. Where many others perceive they are quite different because people have different perspectives, and yours is the minority one imho from what I've encountered. The way uni is run and the approach people take to it is vastly different to school. The purpose is different. Not to mention uni is radically different to most people's HS due to independence.

Anyway, this is not a thread X on if there is a difference between HS/uni debate so I'm not going to derail it anymore by responding to anything that's not directly linked to the discussion of haya's results/his Qs on what do now with his results re:Melbourne and how to rectify performance in uni. Only reiteration on the point of it being similar for haya's sake is that complacency won't work in uni and again, hyper inflating ego/self-pressure like in HS will only make a slip more bitterly disappointing. And then making excuses will not help in future, rather than critically analysing the past and accepting what has happened is what helps the future. Just general life there though-applies to non academic things as well. I'll step back and let haya mull over what I, Rippy and all other recent posters have said and if OP has any furhter questions, I'll endeavour to answer them :)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
not true

higher intelligence > absorb content quicker and have a complete understanding > study less

everyone has seen those kids no offence who study 6 hours a day but still end up getting 70s
I share your view, sir.

I have my fair share of not-so-smart students. It pains me to see them struggle. They can study 36 hours a day and still they won't do as well as those who are bright.

Just unfortunate they didn't choose their parents more wisely.

hayabusaboston

HSC

but still real

O ok, well my name is Alex Wojno, as most people on BoS already know anyway haha.

Only reason I did UMAT was because parents wanted me to do med for job stability, and UMAT seemed to be only way into it. Then I thought about things and realised Sydney is gross, and Melbourne's med school is better than Sydney's in world rankings, so why not go postgrad med at Melb. Which is what ive set out as the plan, undergrad science then med postgrad, assuming I fail at NIDA every single year LOL, hopefully can get in asap. Not like those ppl who audition six years in a row and get in seventh year :/

VCA eh... will check it out. I have zero dramatic training, only the improvisations I do on my own :p

dw riproot, I take all criticisms, truths and vociferations of my actions with humility, because I know ultimately they are a lesson to be learnt about how to improve myself.

Also, thankyou all for your positive wishes, I hope things turn out well.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Nah, your style is blunt but like the advice is all good and gee *thumbs up*

Some people take the truth better in a blunt way anyway; no need for flowery language-ness also it's like 2AM so yeah lol Truth expressed in a constructive way are helpful, not meanness nor just saying what someone wants to hear if it's not true.

Also feeling for all these kids that went into the HSC not knowing their schools mark ridiculously easy, and then get a big shock. Sometimes, it's not necessarily even that they aren't intelligent but they just didn't get taught how to tailor their knowledge properly in the style of how to answer? Or they just getting taught properly and they are capable of more. Anyway, uni is the time the playing field is level.

Once you at the uni, you have access to the same lectures and materials etc. Whereas prior to that, one student may have gone to top tier school and a tutor for every sub etc. and one student may have been doing like distance ed with a dodge teacher and they have no peer exposure to know what is expected. Before, you say, well individual work ethic always exceeds etc. Well yes, hard work is good but if you don't know the outlines, if your teachers don't understand how hsc marking works and you get 99-100 for every assessment at school and are assured b6s-well even if you are trying, you are being disadvantaged by way of ignorance because you thought you were on top of it all and working ineffectively. At uni, you get the mark and your profs can explain why so etc. That's what I meant in regards to uni being more level.

You likely see them as similar as you were never truly satisfied with either in the same academic sense. Most people find uni very different. The only thing haya has got to worry about is that he will be disappointed in his results again if he is complacent again at university with his study efforts, provided he still has the same high expectations. Complacency is not good at any tertiary institute or job imho.

More level if two students are intelligence/work equivalent but just had vastly different opportunities-once in university, more level but life is never truly level. Scaling, everyone has the same hit in each unit, but then yes, it can be hard to compare students where faculties scale and others don't etc.
No it is relevant as personal experience can make two very different places seem the same because your feelings towards it are the same, rather than the place being the same. Where many others perceive they are quite different because people have different perspectives, and yours is the minority one imho from what I've encountered. The way uni is run and the approach people take to it is vastly different to school. The purpose is different. Not to mention uni is radically different to most people's HS due to independence.

Anyway, this is not a thread X on if there is a difference between HS/uni debate so I'm not going to derail it anymore by responding to anything that's not directly linked to the discussion of haya's results/his Qs on what do now with his results re:Melbourne and how to rectify performance in uni. Only reiteration on the point of it being similar for haya's sake is that complacency won't work in uni and again, hyper inflating ego/self-pressure like in HS will only make a slip more bitterly disappointing. And then making excuses will not help in future, rather than critically analysing the past and accepting what has happened is what helps the future. Just general life there though-applies to non academic things as well. I'll step back and let haya mull over what I, Rippy and all other recent posters have said and if OP has any furhter questions, I'll endeavour to answer them :)
^All this shit = LHS is right, enoilgam is wrong; showing us again that UNDS does not run like proper unis.

HS - you have people who do all the same subjects, at different institutions, so the teaching level is different and you're fucked if your teacher is shit, etc.
Whereas, at uni - people in the same courses as you are subject to pretty much the same teaching and stuff, most of the work has to be done by you anyways because that's just how uni is, so the people from selective schools and the people from low-ranked schools in the same units are now completely on-par and success is determined by your intelligence and work ethic, not much else.
But comparing to different unis/courses is difficult, but the different unis don't really pretend to be doing the same units to each other, whereas at HS you could do Eng, MX1+2, Phys, Chem, Bio and get 95 at a low ranked school and come first, and someone with the same intelligence and work ethic and subjects could get 99.2 at a top 10 school.

O ok, well my name is Alex Wojno, as most people on BoS already know anyway haha.

Only reason I did UMAT was because parents wanted me to do med for job stability, and UMAT seemed to be only way into it. Then I thought about things and realised Sydney is gross, and Melbourne's med school is better than Sydney's in world rankings, so why not go postgrad med at Melb. Which is what ive set out as the plan, undergrad science then med postgrad, assuming I fail at NIDA every single year LOL, hopefully can get in asap. Not like those ppl who audition six years in a row and get in seventh year :/

VCA eh... will check it out. I have zero dramatic training, only the improvisations I do on my own :p
Okay, coolios

Ew, no, that is grose.
Med School = fastest way to grad because it doesn't matter where you go as long as you do other stuff later
+ Vic intern placement is based on your achievements so far, so you will be competing for places at the top hospitals with people who have masters degrees and research and shiz.
But if you don't like med then don't do it. A lot of jobs are stable, so pick the one you like best ~~~

Deffs get some proper training behind you before you audition for NIDA
It's really silly how weird and pretentious they are, like, you need a CV with experience otherwise ~good luck~ getting in. Also, good looking people have a higher chance of getting in so make sure what you're wearing, your hair, etc. are all good for your auditions.
#shallowactinglyf
Also, CV-wise, try and do a bunch of shows this year. Like I'm not sure about UMelb, but I know USyd has a really good acting scene with MUSE/SUDS running musicals and plays all year (I think SUDS has a different one like every week), and you can get involved in community stuff as well ~~~

Lol, what?
What?
You didn't choose your parents?
I did
I deffs chose them
DEFFS
~~~~

enoilgam

HSC
^All this shit = LHS is right, enoilgam is wrong; showing us again that UNDS does not run like proper unis.
All this = you failing to catch my meaning. Uni and HS have differences as you pointed out, but to me, learning is learning and education is education. The principles are exactly the same, it's just the presentation which is different. This is exactly why I think Haya needs to reassess what he has done because the same issues which have impacted his HSC results could reappear again in Uni.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
All this = you failing to catch my meaning. Uni and HS have differences as you pointed out, but to me, learning is learning and education is education. The principles are exactly the same, it's just the presentation which is different. This is exactly why I think Haya needs to reassess what he has done because the same issues which have impacted his HSC results could reappear again in Uni.
I won't bother reading everything mentioned above, but I agree with this.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Nah, they're pretty diffs babe

They fall under the same massive umbrella that is education

but hey

so does astronomical physics research for a PhD

and

getting a cert II in cookery down at your local tafe

but hey

education

is

education

HSC

but hey

and

but hey

education

is

education
How do I become you?

enoilgam

HSC

but hey

and

but hey

education

is

education
I'm not denying that difficulty varies - TAFE cert II and PhD are education, much like NRL and weekend club football are still Rugby League. You are looking too much at the specifics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)