What happens if you get an estimate? (1 Viewer)

SophJI

HSC
Today i had the biggest headache and cough during my maths exam
and the teacher advised me to get doctor;s certificate so i can get an estimate
I have finished the test...........

how do they do it??

i've done 2 tests before this one and the marks weren't that great
would they used the year's average or my average?

Last edited:

Boxes

Banned
HSC
they'll probably say to themselves "yo, Sophie Ji has quite a high/low average, and her classwork has been of high/low standard, so she probably would have gotten x mark".

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
I don't believe they should do estimates like that. It's a bit unfair.

dp624

HSC
probably your own average, not the years'

sickk

HSC
I don't believe they should do estimates like that. It's a bit unfair.
more unfair than getting a 0 cause ur so sick you couldn't do the paper?

even the board gives estimates for the HSC if for instance someone close dies the night before an exam and you cant concentrate (misadventure i think)

it would be annoying if your estimate is less than what you expected, but thats the way it goes sometimes...

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
for our school they had us sit two tests already so if you're sick for the next one, your mark is an average of those two. If you have only sat one test then maybe your school will average your trial mark and your first mark

I Study Hard

HSC
I think some schools do it via rank.
Like just say you were coming 15th in a subject and then had to get an estimate. They look at what the 15th rank for the task you're getting an estimate in got then they give you an equal mark.
~Someone correct me if i'm wrong please.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
I think some schools do it via rank.
Like just say you were coming 15th in a subject and then had to get an estimate. They look at what the 15th rank for the task you're getting an estimate in got then they give you an equal mark.
~Someone correct me if i'm wrong please.
u have marks aligned to the previous years, based on rankings, and gives u an estimate based on last year's results

I Study Hard

HSC
u have marks aligned to the previous years, based on rankings, and gives u an estimate based on last year's results
But that wouldn't make sense. Last years rankings and marks have nothing to do with this years.
I'm pretty sure they'd look at how she's done this year.

shuning

HSC
回复: Re: What happens if you get an estimate?

back in my old school 2 guys got sick during the ancient history exam.... got an estimated mark of 92 and 88.

the 92 guy's class rank was only 2 and the other 1 was ranked 5 or 6 ish.

Note: the school ranked in the 500s.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: What happens if you get an estimate?

I got an estimate for my SC computing skills test coz I went going overseas the day before, didnt realise it when we booked the tickets lol
they just used my trial mark, which was 97 :)

shuning

HSC
回复: Re: 回复: Re: What happens if you get an estimate?

I got an estimate for my SC computing skills test coz I went going overseas the day before, didnt realise it when we booked the tickets lol
they just used my trial mark, which was 97 :)
fuck!!!! i only got 92 T.T and i did both the trials and the SC.... both were 92.... >.<

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: What happens if you get an estimate?

At my school one of two scenarios happen:

Estimate: this is the comparison between the average of your previous marks and class aptitude combined with what the teachers would imagine you have gotten, respective rank/mark.

Percentage Spread: You thought this was going to be something cool, but rather than actually marking you for that assessment the teachers will spread the weighting/percentage of that assessment task out across the others for you. This is what most likely happens with my accelerated maths after I missed the first assessment (which I think they forgot, so I think maybe an estimate may be coming... dunno)

Miss Code

HSC
In one of my half yearlies I had a huge migraine and i informed the teacher of it, I got my mark back and it was a pass but only just, and knowing I was able to do better then I did I appealed the mark, telling them I was able to get a Drs certificate indicating that I suffer from them. The appeal got accepted so I wont know my actual mark until the end of the year when they give the marks to the BOS they will look at my other marks for that subject and change it to suit my other marks.
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)