what happens if your close to the course cut-off? (1 Viewer)

ztune

HSC
N/A
im off by .75 could there still be a change i could get in?

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
Yes there is. Besides, there is the chance that the cutoff will be lower.

tennille

HSC
UAI cut-offs as well as main round offers will be published in the newspaper (I think both the Daily Telegraph and SMH) on 18/01/07, the day after main round offers are made over the internet.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
Yep, there's a chance. It would depend on the demand for the course, so if there was still spaces you could possibly get in. good luck :)

thenothing

no member
HSC
Aren't rough cutoffs published a lot earlier? I seem to remember them being published earlier last year :/

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
wat bout 3 points below? haha

i need 93
but got 90.45

>_<

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
*sigh*

Understand that it is really just basic supply and demand.

Every uni will have a certain quota for the places in a course, and when they fill this quota, say 2,500 people, the 2,500th person's UAI will be taken as the 'cutoff'.

Nothing more, nothing less. Its safe to assume 1-5 point deviation for most things, but there have been up to 10 points in some years.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
AsyLum said:
*sigh*

Understand that it is really just basic supply and demand.

Every uni will have a certain quota for the places in a course, and when they fill this quota, say 2,500 people, the 2,500th person's UAI will be taken as the 'cutoff'.

Nothing more, nothing less. Its safe to assume 1-5 point deviation for most things, but there have been up to 10 points in some years.
thanks for the explanation!

sooo i have a chance!! >_<
slim chance .. but a chance non-theless ^__^
i really hope the demand for commerce @ unsw is small <_<

but a question, what was with the uac 2oo7 guide cutoff's for courses?
was it a rough estimate according to last year?

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
Not only the cut-off may go down, sometimes the uni inflates the cut-off for some reason and people can get in with lower UAI. One of my friends who's doing Science (Advanced) at USYD got UAI that's more than 2 points lower than the cut-off but she somehow got the offer in the main round. On the other hand the other friend who had higher UAI than the first friend (but still below the cut-off) didn't make it (he scraped through the late round), so it beats me how that works.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Quotas.

If they haven't fulfilled the quota or a few people don't turn up/reject, then they'll take people in. Unis need to fill the quota for CSP places or else they have to pay the government back.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
I'm off for my top 2 preferences by 0.05 lol...hopefully they're flexible (assuming the cut-off remains steady)

jackal8

HSC
The UAI cut off's, as far as I know, are inflated due to special admission which reduce the supply of places thus inflating the UAI. But I don't know how your freind got in when he/she acheived below the cut-off, nepotism.

May I also deflate some of your balloons of hope by saying that courses such as commerce @ UNSW will not very by more then 1 or at the very most 2 UAI points due to the consistency of the demand, unless you have found that the supply of places has increased this year.

Either way, I hope you all get rich.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)