• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What happens to ur 2 unit mark when u do ext 2? (1 Viewer)

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
If you do 4 unit (Ext 2) Maths your Ext 1 and Ext 2 component becomes the value of 2 units each, which equals 4 units in total.

The Ext 2 people sit the external examination as the same time as the 2U people, so no they do not do the 2U paper.

The reason why they don't make the Ext 2 people sit the 2U test is pretty obvious. Of course the majority will do well, making it difficult for the Ext 1, let alone 2U to gain high marks (don't know if this is the actual reasoning, but it's my logical thinking) and plus 2U Maths is the basis of Ext 1, which is the basis of Ext 2. If you can't do 2U stuff, then you are clearly not suitable to do Ext 2. Difficultly of the Ext 2 course is also probably a reason why they don't make Ext 2 students sit the 2U paper.

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
youngminii said:
I can't do series and sequences at all :(
I got 3/12 in my series and sequences section of the 2u prelim exam last year
Well, I'm doing Ext 2 Maths, and I did the 2U Series and Sequence HSC assessment and got 2nd/75 (was 1 mark off 1st!!), shame it wont count.

You did Series in your prelim? I thought it was HSC topic. What topic did they swap it for?

I actually like Series and Sequence to be honest, nice topic.

honsaw

HSC
N/A
I don't understand why Ex1 and Ex2 would count as 4 units since you don't even do the paper.. wouldn't it be more like your doing 2 unit..

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
honsaw said:
I don't understand why Ex1 and Ex2 would count as 4 units since you don't even do the paper.. wouldn't it be more like your doing 2 unit..
maths doesn't function like english. As stated ex1 = 2units ex 2 = 2 units and that accounts for 4units together.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
honsaw said:
No you don't do the paper. But without doing 2U you wont be able to do 4U, let alone 3U. The content of the 2U course is in both 3U and 4U, but with harder variations, if you like to put it that way.

Therefore this is no point in testing 4U students on 2U material.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
it would make 2unit scaling really crap, as the 4unit people would basically all get band 6, and scoring high marks and heaps of marks bunched up the top, and if they made it harder...then the 2unit guys wud just get owned even more and then no one wud do 2unit and all do general lol
all hypothetical

jet

Banned
HSC
On the bottom of my hsc results on the website, it says:
"Mathematics (Extension 2) students are not required to sit for the 2 Unit Mathematics examination. If this student had sat for the 2 Unit Mathematics examination it is likely that he/she would have achieved Band 6 in that course."
My 3 unit mark, while it appeared as out of 50 on my school report, was a mark out of 100 in my results.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
For those who still don't get it:

For Maths subjects, if you do:

Mathematics ONLY (2 unit)

Mathematics = 2 units

You do all 2 unit assessments and exams.

Mathematics Extension 1 ONLY (3 unit)

Mathematics = 2 units

Mathematics Extension 1 = 1 unit

You do all 2 unit AS WELL AS Extension 1 assessments and exams.

Mathematics Extension 2 (4 unit)

Mathematics = 0 units (it doesn't count)

Mathematics Extension 1 = 2 units

Mathematics Extension 2 = 2 units

You do all Extension 1 and Extension 2 assessments and exams. You DO NOT do any 2 unit assessments and exams (even if you do, they won't be formally counted).

For English on the other hand, it works differently. If you do:

English Advanced ONLY (2 unit)

English Advanced = 2 units

You do all Advanced assessments and exams.

English Extension 1 ONLY (3 unit)

English Extension 1 = 1 unit

You do all Advanced AS WELL AS Extension 1 assessments and exams.

English Extension 2 (4 unit)

English Extension 1 = 1 unit

English Extension 2 = 1 unit

You do all Advanced + Extension 1 + Extension 2 assessments and exams.

Notice the difference in the systems...

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Haha, It'd suck to do English Ext 2. It doesn't even scale as well as Maths Ext 1 :p

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
jm01 said:
Haha, It'd suck to do English Ext 2. It doesn't even scale as well as Maths Ext 1 :p
Lol yeah, i'm so glad i didn't do extension 1 english and instead opted for history extension :D

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
annabackwards said:
Lol yeah, i'm so glad i didn't do extension 1 english and instead opted for history extension :D
But English Extension's scaling > History Extension's scaling by far

History Extension is capped too.

dp624

HSC
Yeah, Eng Ext1 scales a lot better than History extension, lawl

numbers: 46 in ext1 scales to 43.8
46 in his ext scales to 41.5

46 in ext2 also to 41.5
but arguably it's easier to get 46 in ext2 eng because as its p75 opposed to p90 for his ext

ok, fine, the scaling table is flawed. but yea, it's a good enough indicatoin

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
lyounamu said:
But English Extension's scaling > History Extension's scaling by far

History Extension is capped too.
dp624 said:
Yeah, Eng Ext1 scales a lot better than History extension, lawl

numbers: 46 in ext1 scales to 43.8
46 in his ext scales to 41.5

46 in ext2 also to 41.5
but arguably it's easier to get 46 in ext2 eng because as its p75 opposed to p90 for his ext

ok, fine, the scaling table is flawed. but yea, it's a good enough indicatoin
Thanks for the bad news guys XD

Maybe i should've done extension 1 english as my teacher suggested but i don't like english and history is easier for me ^^

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Timothy.Siu said:
it would make 2unit scaling really crap, as the 4unit people would basically all get band 6, and scoring high marks and heaps of marks bunched up the top, and if they made it harder...then the 2unit guys wud just get owned even more and then no one wud do 2unit and all do general lol
all hypothetical
Wouldn't the scaling for 2unit be better because the quality of the students would be higher?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
Wouldn't the scaling for 2unit be better because the quality of the students would be higher?
Nope.

Even if the 2 unit might have much more candidature hence more "higher quality" students, the proportion of "higher quality" students is significantly lower in comparison to 4 unit or 3 unit.

That's why the top ends for 2 unit students still get 98+ scaled marks (100 for top ranks) but as we progressively move towards lower mark, the sclaed mark just drops almost vertically (sort of...a bit of exaggeration).

This year even mark around 98 in 2 unit will give like only 93-94 scaled mark...so if you really want a decent scaled mark from 2 unit, you should really come top 100 in the state (like 99 at least) which will prob give about 95+ scaled mark...

But it's a different story for 4 unit where 91 aligned = 91 or 92 scaled..:)

Last edited:

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
kaz1 said:
no, because the test would be so easy that the top guys (4unit guys) will be getting 99's and 100's so if u want a good mark u'd need to get 99 or 100 which is pretty hard if ur competing against the 4unit guys

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
At my school they make all 4 unit kids do the 2 unit course as well. So am I still able to get a ranking in 2 unit? Or am I just blacked out? :p
ranking?
yes would still have a 2unit school ranking incase you drop out.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
At our school they don't make the 4U ppl do 2U papers.

If someone drops out then they usually give a comparable assessment task. If they drop out late then they give an z-score based on our performance in the 3U paper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)