• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

what have you learnt so far? (1 Viewer)

D

d00d

OMG u guys think ur behind? my school (sydney tech) is doing complex numbers right now... in fact, just did roots of unity today!

i dunno why but the teachers wanna be hard and finish the 4u course in 3 terms.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
i dont see why youre all worried. im sure our schools all have experience in teaching the subject and im sure well all get through the course.

SXC_DRAGON_BOY

Been A While
HSC
Well at my school we have completed firstly complex numbers, polynomials, graph sketching and have just started intergration...
for those who did polynomials first, how could you have gotten through it without learning the function of i and the squareroot of i squared from complex numbers.
eg)factorise x^2-2x+3
completing the squares
(x-1)^2+2
(x-1)^2-2i^2
(x-1+sqrt2.i)(x-1-sqrt2.i)
hope you see my point...
there is only one other in my class doing 4 unit.
I can say that i think complex numbers is so far the easiest.
But not saying that it is too easy though

We have 6 lessons of 50 minutes a fortnight except 2 which go for about an hour... with 2 unit, 3 unit classes i have a total of about 25 lessons of maths. in 2 unit we have almost finish the syllabus, 3 unit we are behind, 4 unit i think we are ahead.

i spend most my free periods which is about 4 of 9 doing 4 unit equations in class... but if u think im going good... ur wrong. im struggling badly but as i said in another post. All i want is early entrance.:p

Last edited:

nerdd

we have about 4-5 lessons a fortnight... so not enough!
and that's already including certain lunch times

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by nerdd
we have about 4-5 lessons a fortnight... so not enough!
and that's already including certain lunch times
That's all you really need, it's really up to you to do the work

bobo123

HSC
hey dragon boy
how come you still have to go to 2 unit classes if you do 4 unit?
isnt that just a waste of time?

Twintip

It may not be.

I know that at my school we still have to do the 2u assessments incase we drop down to 3 unit before the HSC (so the school can submit a 2u assessment mark). I will be staying with 4 unit but there are over 60 people in my year doing it so I wouldn't be surprised if at least a handful of them drop down.

SXC_DRAGON_BOY

Been A While
HSC
Originally posted by bobo123
hey dragon boy
how come you still have to go to 2 unit classes if you do 4 unit?
isnt that just a waste of time?
well i can say it is pretty much easy....
but i have to attend it to make sense of 3 unit maths....
it leads on if you get what i mean...
you need 2 unit to do 3 unit and 3 unit to do 4 unit...
not unless you do 2/3 unit as a class...
or your just super smart at maths and understand things very quickly... which i am definitely not one of...

SXC_DRAGON_BOY

Been A While
HSC
Originally posted by Twintip
It may not be.

I know that at my school we still have to do the 2u assessments incase we drop down to 3 unit before the HSC (so the school can submit a 2u assessment mark). I will be staying with 4 unit but there are over 60 people in my year doing it so I wouldn't be surprised if at least a handful of them drop down.
far you seriously have that much people doing it...
thats mad...
in my class it only consists of 2...
but i only have bout 50 in my year...
i reckon the smaller the class the better it is...
you get more attention and one on one teaching....
it really helps.....

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by SXC_DRAGON_BOY

far you seriously have that much people doing it...
thats mad...
in my class it only consists of 2...
but i only have bout 50 in my year...
i reckon the smaller the class the better it is...
you get more attention and one on one teaching....
it really helps.....
When I did my HSC last year, I was the only student in my grade doing 4 unit and I didn't even have a teacher (cause no one was qualified), so I ended up doing it on my own, and the school just set the assessments with q's from past papers and so.

N

ND

Originally posted by Ultimate

When I did my HSC last year, I was the only student in my grade doing 4 unit and I didn't even have a teacher (cause no one was qualified), so I ended up doing it on my own, and the school just set the assessments with q's from past papers and so.
I too am the only student in my grade doing 4u at my school, but i have a fully qualified teacher all to myself, lucky me. :D

muldersgun

HSC
wow, i wish i had a teacher all to myself. There're something like 50 ppl doing 4U in my school, i have 26 in my class.

We are soooooo behind, We've only finished complex no. and just about to finish graphs.

So screwed

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
don't worry

Originally posted by muldersgun
wow, i wish i had a teacher all to myself. There're something like 50 ppl doing 4U in my school, i have 26 in my class.

We are soooooo behind, We've only finished complex no. and just about to finish graphs.

So screwed
You are not sooooo behind! We are yet to finish our first four unit topic- complex numbers.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
you people shouldnt be too worry as long as you arent behind compared to the rest of your grade at school ... because generally speaking everyone is at different places and have done different topics ... but most schools in the end cover everything or enough to get you decent makes ... :)

zahab

were ok we finished graphs complex and are half way through conics so i think u shoulkd be panickin

onemoreyear

ha....i think we are worst off.

we have done one topic, further graphing it could be called. Haven't even considered complex #s yet.

RedStz

True Scorpian
our school is crazy, we used to have 4u lessons EVERYDAY!!!! yep that is every morning Period X, from 7.30am (period1 for other people starts at 8.40am), but now, as some girls is also doing english extension in the morning, so it's 4 lessons a week, each lesson about 1hr.
Despite that, we are not that ahead, have done complex, polynomial, conics, and starting to integrate

i will rank these subjects from easiest to the hardest (out of the 3 i have complete)
1. Conic Section (despite some of the Qs are tedious, but i am an algebra person, and you feel intelligent after finishing 1Q in 1hr)
2. Polynominal (I can't recall much of this topic, all i know that it's a short one, we will learn part 2 later on)
3. Polynominal (I suppose I rank this as the hardest out of the 3, as I bludge the whole Xmas holiday and end up not doing any revision questions on it)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)