What HSC English mark would you recommend for law? (1 Viewer)

Bobbo1

HSC
Just in general, obviously it would be a band 6, but does it really need to be a 95+?

izzy88

HSC
Just in general, obviously it would be a band 6, but does it really need to be a 95+?
do you mean in order to do well at law? ie. you writing ability? If that is the case, then you will be fine with a band 6. Definitely don't need 95+. To be honest, with what the HSC english course assesses, you would probably be fine with a band 5. You just need to be able to write well, however you will learn as you progress through the law degree what they want.

Bobbo1

HSC
ok so even though english isnt my best subject im still expecting around a 90-92 hsc mark, do u think if i work hard enough i can get descent grades - im planning to have a commerce based career and dont want to become a lawyer or solicitor or anything - just thought it'd be helpful to have the law background

izzy88

HSC
ok so even though english isnt my best subject im still expecting around a 90-92 hsc mark, do u think if i work hard enough i can get descent grades - im planning to have a commerce based career and dont want to become a lawyer or solicitor or anything - just thought it'd be helpful to have the law background
I don't think how well you go in hsc english is really an indicator at how you will do at law. I hated HSC english. I found it a waste of time, I just memorised essays the whole year and regurgitated them in the actual exam. As long as you can write well, how you go in law is dependent on a lot of other factors (don't actually ask me what those factors are though - i've been doing law subjects for 5 years now and I still don't seem to be able to assess how I will go in an exam or assignment). I got 91 or 92 for english i think, and I've done well at my law subjects (have a 80/81 average). As I said, i don't think its any kind of indicator as to how you will go in law - if you get band 6 you will be fine, law is about stuff other then your english mark.

enoilgam

HSC
HSC english isnt really a good indicator for law. To be honest, the writing/analytical skills you learn in humanities subjects (the histories, legal studies etc) are far more valuable.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What HSC mark do I recommend for law? Something over 80 would be good. Below that, I'm not sure you'd even get the ATAR for Law.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
It doesn't matter - so long as you get the marks required for law.

Bobbo1

HSC
It doesn't matter - so long as you get the marks required for law.
But wouldn't you say a person who got a high atar due to their strengths in maths and science would struggle in law??

enoilgam

HSC
But wouldn't you say a person who got a high atar due to their strengths in maths and science would struggle in law??
Often times in the first year or so, people who have done maths and science subjects struggle with law due to the amount of writing you need to do in this course. People who do humanities based subjects on the other hand tend to do better, however this isnt absolute and by third and forth year it evens out.

Last edited:

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
I got a low band 5...it doesn't matter.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
I did Standard English and I hated English in Year 12. I'm doing Law at UNSW now and I'm getting Distinctions.

There is a lot of reading and writing involved in Law but HSC English is not a good indication of how you will go in Law. I was also worried about this when I was in Year 12 but as long as you have passion for law, you'll do well in it regardless.

Bobbo1

HSC
Fair enough, as I said I really just want the Law background as I seek to pursue a finance related career..

Anyway, ty everyone for your input

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I got a high ATAR due to my 'strengths' in Maths and Science. I'm doing about average in law school. University and high school draw upon two entirely different skills, in my opinion.

Bobbo1

HSC
I got a high ATAR due to my 'strengths' in Maths and Science. I'm doing about average in law school. University and high school draw upon two entirely different skills, in my opinion.
Fair enough, you guys do give me hope....if I do achieve the ATAR requirement

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)