What if i don't get the UAI 4 law? (1 Viewer)

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
There is an oversupply of lawyers but there is still considerable demand for people with law degrees

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Wherever there is a lawyer, there is oversupply.
How many people here actually plan to be lawyers?

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Yeah but what other options do you really have?

BSc, BCom, BCompSci, BEng, BEc etc all cater to certain sorts of people who like those sort of things and are good at them. What's the point in getting a BSc compared to a BA? There are no advantages unless you want to do something science related. So why get a BSc instead of a BA?

BA - It has the widest choices. The person who thinks knowing another language, being able to critically evaluate our society's systems and processes or having a wide-ranging general knowledge which allows them to interact with other cultures so they don't start wars with the Science and Engineering student's weapons are a waste of time is a complete idiot!

LLB - Considering that society is based on laws it's quite a handy thing to have and many employers (depending on the field) would probably prefer to have someone with a good knowledge of the law on board.

You mix a BA and a LLB together - you have the skills from both the BA and LLB of research, critical analysis, expression and learning how to write and speak with the knowledge of the law and of how to interact with other cultures etc.

That's why a BA/LLB is a good choice if you enjoy things that the BA deals with (humanities, languages, social science etc).

Estel

Tutor
HSC
But how many with LLB's actually become lawyers? Out of curiosity.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
All LLB's from UNSW and USYD.
The rest become solicitors or... garbos? :p nah...
Waits for Usyd to offer B Garbology/B Laws

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
2) Really? I never knew an elite course like Pharmacy would consider chemistry marks when there are a large supply of more 'competent' applicants for the course?
Basically, she worked at our chemist for about a month etc and got fairly good trial marks, and the principal wrote the uni a letter saying she was a top kid, so they accepted her, however, it's only the rural universities who do it (she's attending CSU) - basically because there's been this big push to get pharmacists in rural areas, they hope by training them in a rural type area, it will attract them - and it's also to give students who go to crap country schools with teachers who aren't trained to teach our subjects a chance. i.e I go to one of them schools where the students are meant to get +5 uai marks...
But yeah, it also works for medicine, A girl from our school got a really crap house UAI but got into medicine at Newcastle uni on a principals rec.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
All LLB's from UNSW and USYD.
The rest become solicitors or... garbos? :p nah...
not all
Law graduates are employed in accounting, taxation and financial jobs too, they dont all become 'lawyers' per se

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by yulia
Basically, she worked at our chemist for about a month etc and got fairly good trial marks, and the principal wrote the uni a letter saying she was a top kid, so they accepted her, however, it's only the rural universities who do it (she's attending CSU) - basically because there's been this big push to get pharmacists in rural areas, they hope by training them in a rural type area, it will attract them - and it's also to give students who go to crap country schools with teachers who aren't trained to teach our subjects a chance. i.e I go to one of them schools where the students are meant to get +5 uai marks...
But yeah, it also works for medicine, A girl from our school got a really crap house UAI but got into medicine at Newcastle uni on a principals rec.
Ahhhhh......that explains it. :)

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
i didnt get the uai required for unsw law. though i now realise there are sooo mani ways you can do law... its just a matter of now or later :p
Doing a graduate Law degree offers numerous advantages. At first, your're already a top student who got high marks in your undergraduare degree and studying Law would be much easier for you as an individual. Esp when your against us mere 18-19 year olds who have no prior experience in university study/life. :p

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Minai
not all
Law graduates are employed in accounting, taxation and financial jobs too, they dont all become 'lawyers' per se
:uhhuh: Ernst & Young- Tax & Law division :uhhuh:

rumour

HSC
1) Yes, you can drop Law and retain the other part of your degree.
3) What source don't you trust? :confused:
My mum!! :rolleyes:-she wants me to become a teacher :rolleyes:!!
So i did not know if she said it to discourage me, from doing law!!

and also about your first point, i meant if i want to change into another totally different course, after i changed into law!

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Drop the law part of your degree?! Sacreligious!

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by rumour
My mum!! :rolleyes:-she wants me to become a teacher :rolleyes:!!
So i did not know if she said it to discourage me, from doing law!!

and also about your first point, i meant if i want to change into another totally different course, after i changed into law!
YES. :)
But you will have to wait until mid-year or agter second year to transfer to a totally different course.

Your mum? :p
Show her what your made of then :)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Doing a graduate Law degree offers numerous advantages. At first, your're already a top student who got high marks in your undergraduare degree and studying Law would be much easier for you as an individual. Esp when your against us mere 18-19 year olds who have no prior experience in university study/life. :p
umm do grad law students take the same lectures and tutorials as the new undergrads? thats strange...

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Transfering is probably the best option. Get a UAI of about 95 then get a distinction or more average.

The NRSL cut-off (used for 2nd year transfers) is lower than first year UAI. It's about 95-97 (at UNSW and USYD).

It would be substantially lower at ANU, UOW, Maq etc and I don't even want to know how low it would be at UNE because I would probably die laughing.

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Sarah168
umm do grad law students take the same lectures and tutorials as the new undergrads? thats strange...
In first year law, yes. They still have to do the same 'core' law subjects as us and I know quite a few oldies doing law. (one of them being 62 :p)

But because graduate law is slightly more accelerated, I will probably not be able to see them in my tutorials and classes for the most part of my five year degree. (Their's being about three years, students over 25 have to do a four year course). :)

The way in which this works is because the graduates only do Law whilst we have to do a combined degree. The oldies will be doing four law subjects/ semester whilst we will only be doing two. That is why we see the graduates mostly in the earlier parts of our degree.

Eg. The graduates are doing Criminal and Public law along with Foundation Law A and Legal Research and writing.
We are only doing Legal research and writing and Foundation Law A at the same time as them. We have other subjects to handle. :)

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Ziff
don't even want to know how low it would be at UNE because I would probably die laughing.
Too bad there aren't enough UNE LLB students around, or you would be flammed hard. :p

rumour

HSC
Is it true that you have to do Advanced English to get into law??
Cause I do standard!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)