What if your internal unmoderated mark is the same when rounded to the nearest integer, but your rank is different? (1 Viewer)

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
What happens when the internal mark for any two students for example is 94 when rounded to the nearest integer, but they have a different rank (due to a decimal difference in marks).... will there be a difference in moderation? Thanks!

girlwithnoname

HSC
I'm not an expert, but to the best of my knowledge, I think:

When NESA moderates marks, they try and keep the spread of marks fairly equal. For example, if the top ranking student got 90, and the second ranking student got 85, no matter whether moderated up or down, NESA would try to keep a gap of 5 marks. Of course there are exceptions when this isn't possible to do 100% accurately due to different means and spread of scores etc.

So, I think if the distance between your ranks is pretty much negligible, then this would also be true in moderation, and all scores have to be rounded to the nearest integer anyway. However, if the spread of scores in the externals is much different to the internals, I am guessing this might interfere with the ranking/marks i.e. there might be more distance between each rank.

Don't quote me on this one, I couldn't find any information online, but based off what I've heard, this is my best guess. Hopefully someone will be able to provide a more concrete explanation, I am also curious to find out. :)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I think that girlwithnoname has essentially explained the moderation process quite well. An important thing to note is that schools submit assessment marks to NESA, which indicate the rank order of students taking a particular subject. These raw assessment marks are needed to determine the ranks of students, not the other way around.

From what I have observed (see this thread as an example), it seems that schools may either include or exclude decimals when submitting assessment marks. Considering your example, it would be reasonable to suggest that, when talking about marks this high, a first rank scenario could apply. If this is the case, and the school submits 94 for both students, then both students will be ranked first and will consequently receive the highest Assessment Mark, which, as you may already be aware, is determined in a slightly different way when two (or more) students are ranked first. Even if this is not the case, if a school submits identical assessment marks for two students, then these students will have the same rank. However, I am not entirely sure whether they would still receive the same Assessment Mark in such a case, although I think that this would be likely. With that being said, it should definitely be very close.

I hope this helps! :D

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
oh ok fair @jimmysmith560 @girlwithnoname. Ig being off by 0.1% may have less of an impact than being say 10% off obviously.... I also had a look at earlier threads and found this from this thread: https://boredofstudies.org/threads/internal-marking.316124/ View attachment 36145
ig its quite vague, but if in the case only whole numbers have to submitted by the school, I think it should be clear that both students would receive the same internal moderated mark in the instance both the marks equal the same when rounded....

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
What happens when the internal mark for any two students for example is 94 when rounded to the nearest integer, but they have a different rank (due to a decimal difference in marks).... will there be a difference in moderation? Thanks!
Yeah depends on your school but if that tiny difference was the case, my school would just bump your rank up so you're tied (happened to me for English).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)