What is a good double degree for Actuarial Studies? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I am considering Commerce (Actuarial + Finance majors). However, I would like to commit myself a double degree. What would be a really good double degree if I wanted to pursue Investment/Banking/Stock-broking sector in future instead of an insurance sector?

EDIT: I am considering:
- Commerce + Eco
- Commerce + Science (maths)
- Commerce + Law
- Commerce (Liberal Studies)
- Commerce (International Studies)

Last edited:

ascentyx

HSC
I would probably do comm-eco or comm-sci(math). Investment bankers take people from all disciplines so it doesn't really matter what you do as long as you go really really well in it. So i would choose whatever you think you can get higher marks in. Also rather than trying to completely plan out your future right now, i would suggest waiting a few years before you decide what you want to do. You will undoubtedly change your mind several times throughout uni once you do certain subjects and realise you like/dislike them. I have heard many things about investing banking as well, the hours and job committments seems pretty intense but if that's what you want to do, then by all means go for it.

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
I think you have three good options in terms of degree choice. As Ascentyx said above, either the comm/eco or comm/sci double degrees would be your best bet. For example
*Commerce(actuarial, finance)/Economics
*Commerce(actuarial, economics)/Science (maths)
*Commerce(finance, economics)/Science (maths)

Alternatively, you can do a single commerce degree with honours in finance.

FuJu

HSC
I do Commerce (Actuarial, Finance) doubled with Economics (Economics) and it goes pretty good.

I was considering Commerce (Actuarial, Finance)/Science (Maths) but the maths seemed pretty hectic and I found I really enjoyed Economics anyway.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I do Commerce (Actuarial, Finance) doubled with Economics (Economics) and it goes pretty good.

I was considering Commerce (Actuarial, Finance)/Science (Maths) but the maths seemed pretty hectic and I found I really enjoyed Economics anyway.
I don't think Commerce (Actuarial, Finance)/Science (maths) is possible anyway because with Science double degree, u can only do one major =( *DISLIKE*

I am currently learning towards Commerce (Actuarial, Finance)/Economics or Commerce (Liberal Studies). I think Commerce (Liberal Studies) gives a bit of variation but would that help with my career? ><

Yip

HSC
Hi lyounamu,

In case u didn't kno, the Math department has made arrangements with the school of business so that u can actually do a double degree in the science component in maths and stats, so in the end u would come out with a Commerce (Actuarial Studies)/Science (Mathematics/Statistics) degree. Its a good program, you should consider it. You learn more in it compared to a Comm/Eco degree, as commerce and economics are very similar subject lines.

Jellybellie

HSC
Personally, not actuarial law - you'll die doing all the readings with all the maths

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Hi lyounamu,

In case u didn't kno, the Math department has made arrangements with the school of business so that u can actually do a double degree in the science component in maths and stats, so in the end u would come out with a Commerce (Actuarial Studies)/Science (Mathematics/Statistics) degree. Its a good program, you should consider it. You learn more in it compared to a Comm/Eco degree, as commerce and economics are very similar subject lines.
omg that sounds so tempting...so u can do commerce (actuarial + finance)/science (maths)? yay

Yip

HSC
No, you can only do the math/stats double. tho imo, the finance major doesnt really give u much quantitative skill.

yeeshu

HSC
They don't really care about what degree/how many degrees you do as long as you have a decent gpa...the only time they care about your degree is in first round when their selecting ppl to interview, after that its all what kind of person you are, what extra stuff you've done etc etc

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
^??

No, you can only do the math/stats double. tho imo, the finance major doesnt really give u much quantitative skill.
Oh so, we can do Commerce (Actuarial)/Science (Maths & Stats)?

That sounds pretty good.

But just on yeeshu's point...he mentioned that doing double degree doesn't necessarily help much with employment and etc....

how would doing maths & stats help me with actuarial? would it help me with studies or would it just help me get more broad array of skills?

Yip

HSC
a bit of both really, theres some overlap between actuarial and stats, for basic stats, where u take MATH2901 and MATH2931 instead of ACTL2002, it tends to be taught better by the math department (and is also actually easier imo, 2002 is a very compact course, they crammed bits and pieces from 3 different math courses into it). u also get the opportunity to broaden ur quantitative skills that may be useful in actuarial, i.e. the study of differential equations, more advanced statistical inference. But more importantly, its fun =). So i guess this double can help u with actuarial and give u a broader skill set.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
hmmm I am pretty much tossing up between Commerce/Eco or Commerce/Science. I am little bit uneasy with Commerce/Science not being able to give me 2 majors from Commerce...but double majors from Science looks fairly attractive

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Another question:

Would Eco area of commerce/eco be pretty much useless if you want to pursue banking/finance/stock-broking? I mean, people are saying that u would only pursue commerce/eco if you want to delve in to eco area in depth...

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Another question:

Would Eco area of commerce/eco be pretty much useless if you want to pursue banking/finance/stock-broking? I mean, people are saying that u would only pursue commerce/eco if you want to delve in to eco area in depth...
I wouldn't say useless, but I don't think it'd be that useful. It will definitely complement your studies, but if you don't have room for an economics major and want to pursue finance, it's probably best if you drop it in favour of something more useful (maths/stats/actuarial). This is mostly because there's more to economics than just financial applications.

If you were really keen on getting into finance (quickly), I'd say a single commerce degree (actuarial, finance) and an additional year doing honours in finance will set you up quite nicely.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I wouldn't say useless, but I don't think it'd be that useful. It will definitely complement your studies, but if you don't have room for an economics major and want to pursue finance, it's probably best if you drop it in favour of something more useful (maths/stats/actuarial). This is mostly because there's more to economics than just financial applications.

If you were really keen on getting into finance (quickly), I'd say a single commerce degree (actuarial, finance) and an additional year doing honours in finance will set you up quite nicely.
Just Commerce Degree? Hm...that doesn't sound too bad either considering that I do Honours Degree and later get my 2nd exemption for the Actuarial Degree.

I am now tossing up between Commerce/Science and Commerce...argh, this is getting annoying -__-

Btw, thanks for the post.

stupid_girl

HSC
N/A
I am little bit uneasy with Commerce/Science not being able to give me 2 majors from Commerce
Why not?

UNSW Handbook Australian School of Business
Once again, please read 9.4.2

The minimum requirement for Science is 84UOC.
If you use all the remaining UOC for Commerce, you have 108UOC.
This is sufficient for you to have a double major in Commerce without studying past the normal length of the program.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Why not?

UNSW Handbook Australian School of Business
Once again, please read 9.4.2

The minimum requirement for Science is 84UOC.
If you use all the remaining UOC for Commerce, you have 108UOC.
This is sufficient for you to have a double major in Commerce without studying past the normal length of the program.
Oh...I really didn't know how to read that Handbook ><
But thanks for letting me know! :D

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT

After months of reserach, debate and talk, I have narrowed my choice to 5 courses in order of preference ATM:

• Commerce (Actuarial + Finance) + Eco -> 4 Years + 2 exemptions
  • Commerce (Actuarial + Finance) + Honours afterwards -> 4 Years + 2 exemptions
  • Commerce (Actuarial) + Science (Stats) -> 4 Years + 2 exemptions
  • Commerce (Actuarial) + Science (Maths) -> 4 Years + 2 exemptions
  • Commerce (Actuarial) + Law -> 5 years + 2 exemptions
I really want to work in the areas of investment banking, finance, commodities, shares or pretty much all finance-related fields apart from traditional insurance area.

I have guaranteed offers for all those courses above so I don't really have to worry about whether I get in or not. But I need to CHOOSE the right course for me.

I am well aware of the fact that Eco, Maths and stats all complement Actuarial Studies + Finance majors. But I am not too sure if undertaking these double degrees will make much of a difference. I have heard the argument that you are better off doing Honours with Actuarial Studies + Finance than doing Double degrees.

I am really sorry for bothering you guys over and over again about this but I need some serious and straight answers to my question.

Cheers!

P.S. I have decided to do Actuarial Studies no matter what so please don't offer any alternative course like Engineering or like Advanced mathematics alone. Just help me with my current preferences.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)