what IS a 'good' mark for the UMAT? (1 Viewer)

vce kills

HSC
ive been looking through the threads about percentiles, S1, S2 and S3 and whatnot, but I dont really know what kind of score gets you an interview/offer etc.

can you please post your results in terms of:
1. S1/S2/S3
2. Total and percentile
3. Whether it got you any offers/interviews

Is the percentile thing like a usual bell curve thing they arrange people into?

THANK YOU MUCHLY! :rolleyes:

whoisthis

HSC
N/A
generally you will be wanting the upper end of the 80's (percentiles) or higher, but it depends on which universities you are applying to and where you live. there are significant bonuses depending on where you live. for instance, to UNSW rural applicants require much lower scores than city applicants. in addition, UWA discriminates heavily against interstate applicants, and GWS applicants get a significant umat bonus. these are just a few examples and there are quite a few more.

for UNSW, the main uni most people will be applying to, the higher your ATAR the lower your UMAT score will be. but assuming you are on your way to a good ATAR, you can be sure you'll need high 80's for an interview. if you score lower than the high 80's chances are you won't be getting interviews anywhere unless you have a very good ATAR. JCU and griffith are 2 med schools that don't require the UMAT, but you can bet competition will be extremely fierce for those two schools. JCU is very difficult to get an interview to unless you are a rural applicant or from northern queensland.

good luck. feel free to ask questions

edit: your individual sec scores don't matter too much, except at UWS where you received a scaled score (sec 3 is halved). also, UQLD will not accept any applicants into their prov med program with scores in any sec of less than 50.

Last edited:

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
generally you will be wanting the upper end of the 80's (percentiles) or higher, but it depends on which universities you are applying to and where you live. there are significant bonuses depending on where you live. for instance, to UNSW rural applicants require much lower scores than city applicants. in addition, UWA discriminates heavily against interstate applicants, and GWS applicants get a significant umat bonus. these are just a few examples and there are quite a few more.

for UNSW, the main uni most people will be applying to, the higher your ATAR the lower your UMAT score will be. but assuming you are on your way to a good ATAR, you can be sure you'll need high 80's for an interview. if you score lower than the high 80's chances are you won't be getting interviews anywhere unless you have a very good ATAR. JCU and griffith are 2 med schools that don't require the UMAT, but you can bet competition will be extremely fierce for those two schools. JCU is very difficult to get an interview to unless you are a rural applicant or from northern queensland.

good luck. feel free to ask questions
WOAH 100%ile
may i ask if you did any prep courses? and if you did what sorta scores were you scoring in them?

badquinton304

HSC
I think >85%tile should get you a few interviews with a good atar but it depends on the university.

Total I got was 174 which resulted in a 86%tile, ATAR 98.7.
Got me a UWS interview only, but only applied uncle, uws and unsw.
Uncle has a total score cut off which last year was 175.
UNSW has a umat and atar based system for making interview offers, i think you would need about 99 ATAR with say high 80s umat.
I am pretty sure my results get me a jcu inteview but I did not apply, im basing this off friends who got less than me and got a jcu interview.

Also can anyone confirm this for me:
Say X uni has cut off of umat of say 80%tile (dont worry about wether it is a %tile or a weighted sccore its more about the concept), and of the people that accepted interview the highest umat score was 100%tile and lowest was 80%tile. Say UMAT contributes 1/3 of your overall score, the other 2/3 is atar or interview or whatever.
They would then rank the candidates based on umat, such that the person/s getting 100%tile come 1st and those who got 80%tile come last.
Now would this mean that the people who came first get the full 1/3 and the people who came last get 0.
OR
Would the people who came last get %80 of 1/3 and the people who come first get the full 1/3.

whoisthis

HSC
N/A
I think >85%tile should get you a few interviews with a good atar but it depends on the university.

Total I got was 174 which resulted in a 86%tile, ATAR 98.7.
Got me a UWS interview only, but only applied uncle, uws and unsw.
Uncle has a total score cut off which last year was 175.
UNSW has a umat and atar based system for making interview offers, i think you would need about 99 ATAR with say high 80s umat.
I am pretty sure my results get me a jcu inteview but I did not apply, im basing this off friends who got less than me and got a jcu interview.

Also can anyone confirm this for me:
Say X uni has cut off of umat of say 80%tile (dont worry about wether it is a %tile or a weighted sccore its more about the concept), and of the people that accepted interview the highest umat score was 100%tile and lowest was 80%tile. Say UMAT contributes 1/3 of your overall score, the other 2/3 is atar or interview or whatever.
They would then rank the candidates based on umat, such that the person/s getting 100%tile come 1st and those who got 80%tile come last.
Now would this mean that the people who came first get the full 1/3 and the people who came last get 0.
OR
Would the people who came last get %80 of 1/3 and the people who come first get the full 1/3.
JCU interviews are mostly handed out on the basis of a written application and where you live. they have very little to do with your predicted ATAR (but they still request one nonetheless). it's actually really quite hard to get an interview there because they show very little interest in city applicants. you have to write a damn good application for them to invite you to an interview. even the offers are determined pretty much entirely the interview (and partially by the application and TER). they really don't care much about your scores at all.

tbh i think a umat score of ~85%ile is rather low. you'll be needing high 80's at a minimum. maybe 3 years ago a score of around 85%ile would've sufficed but now you'll be needing higher. unless of course you get an excellent ATAR score and have a very good interview (in which case you'll probably get a bonded offer). a score of 85%ile does not leave much margin for error at all. in otherwords, yes, you can do something with that score but it's very very borderline.

i don't quite understand why your question is relevant. i don't think any universities release that sort of information?

Last edited:

badquinton304

HSC
JCU interviews are mostly handed out on the basis of a written application and where you live. they have very little to do with your predicted ATAR (but they still request one nonetheless). it's actually really quite hard to get an interview there because they show very little interest in city applicants. you have to write a damn good application for them to invite you to an interview. even the offers are determined pretty much entirely the interview (and partially by the application and TER). they really don't care much about your scores at all.
I suspected that as well because you have to do a couple pages of shit on thier application. I think CSU (Dent) may be similar.

tbh i think a umat score of ~85%ile is rather low. you'll be needing high 80's at a minimum. maybe 3 years ago a score of around 85%ile would've sufficed but now you'll be needing higher. unless of course you get an excellent ATAR score and have a very good interview (in which case you'll probably get a bonded offer). a score of 85%ile does not leave much margin for error at all. in otherwords, yes, you can do something with that score but it's very very borderline.
I said >85% but it also depends where you live, like living in GWS and applying at UWS >85 would be enough.

i don't quite understand why your question is relevant. i don't think any universities release that sort of information?
I am trying to see how much difference your UMAT makes.

Last edited:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i rekon 80%tile is pretty good

I had a full table of umat & interview chances with what atar, cant seem to find it.

Edit: I would think that maybe a raw mark of 260 is wonderful, dont take my word on it.

Last edited:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Thats the Raw UMAT score required plus the corresponding ATAR for an interview @ UNSW

etoile rouge

HSC
I'd never considered a career in medicine but now i'm thinking biomed. Should I sit the umat. Plus is it worth it coz apparently its very competitive.

Flying_Vagina

Banned
HSC
I'd never considered a career in medicine but now i'm thinking biomed. Should I sit the umat. Plus is it worth it coz apparently its very competitive.
To sit the exam its 200 bucks this year. Prep courses can cost as little is 300 bucks and as high as 2 grand. Rich kids are spending 2 grand+ on prep. The exam is quite hard. If you do not want to do medicine, or the subjects that require it, dont waste your time. It's also about 2 weeks before your trials.

whoisthis

HSC
N/A
Thats the Raw UMAT score required plus the corresponding ATAR for an interview @ UNSW
keep in mind those are minimum scores. to get in with those scores you would need a very very good interview.

i rekon 80%tile is pretty good

I had a full table of umat & interview chances with what atar, cant seem to find it.

Edit: I would think that maybe a raw mark of 260 is wonderful, dont take my word on it.
no, 80%ile is not enough to land you an interview anywhere unless you're rural or GWS (with excellent s1 and 2 scores). alternatively, if you're from WA or TAS and are applying to your local uni then the cutoffs are lower, but i doubt many people at all are from those states seeing as how this is a NSW forum.

I suspected that as well because you have to do a couple pages of shit on thier application. I think CSU (Dent) may be similar.
CSU dent is probably the hardest dent school to get into unless you're rural lol. there's not many places at all and they grossly favour rural applicants.

I said >85% but it also depends where you live, like living in GWS and applying at UWS >85 would be enough.
mmm UWS cutoffs are really quite high, even for GWS applicants. 85%ile might just scrape you in but you'll need pretty good s1 and s2 scores.

To sit the exam its 200 bucks this year. Prep courses can cost as little is 300 bucks and as high as 2 grand. Rich kids are spending 2 grand+ on prep. The exam is quite hard. If you do not want to do medicine, or the subjects that require it, dont waste your time. It's also about 2 weeks before your trials.
lol what a waste of money. anyone dumb enough to spend that much on prep does not deserve to be a doctor.

Last edited:

Lukybear

HSC
Its july 28th. Thats pretty far away from trials isnt it? Considering this is only term 2.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
keep in mind those are minimum scores. to get in with those scores you would need a very very good interview.
Doesnt matter, thats what you need.

no, 80%ile is not enough to land you an interview anywhere unless you're rural or GWS (with excellent s1 and 2 scores). alternatively, if you're from WA or TAS and are applying to your local uni then the cutoffs are lower, but i doubt many people at all are from those states seeing as how this is a NSW forum.
Unless you have experience, thats not correct.

I've seen that proven wrong a few times last yr.

Flying_Vagina

Banned
HSC
Its july 28th. Thats pretty far away from trials isnt it? Considering this is only term 2.
It was 2 weeks before my trials. Dont know when you have yours. 28th of july isnt term 2, its kinda term 3 week 4 or something.
Anyway, can you get in with a lower umat if your bonded? talking about newcastle here.

ar7

HSC
a few of you sound frustrated at the fact that rural applicants do not have to achieve as high.... remember they don't have the resources available to them as many of us

nae_13

Premium Member
HSC
a few of you sound frustrated at the fact that rural applicants do not have to achieve as high.... remember they don't have the resources available to them as many of us
true.. sometimes i feel guilty for the extra marks im going to get for being rural e.g. my brother got around an 87 ATAR but with rural status and his maths score, he got brought up to 96 :)

But then i think of my shitty school and town, and feel a lot less guilty ;)

whoisthis

HSC
N/A
where do we come across as feeling frustrated? fyi i was a RSES applicant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)