What is investment banking? (2 Viewers)

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Nothing amazing. Been there, done that. Left a long time ago.

Great career for risk averse people who've given up becoming anything significant though.

iBibah

HSC
Nothing amazing. Been there, done that. Left a long time ago.

Great career for risk averse people who've given up becoming anything significant though.
What do you do?

is a roflcopter
HSC
supp homies
waiting for my analyst to finish the book so i can check and send it out...fml

the investment banking pathway to becoming a cash money hero:
1. Insider trading
2. Meet CEO's and their hot daughters and marry them
3. Start some side business with dodgy rich people you meet in indonesia

is a roflcopter
HSC
fat resume book on my desk again - heres what bankers look for

Final round interview competencies:
Business knowledge
Analytical Ability
Energy and Drive
Communication
Collaboration
Courage

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
fat resume book on my desk again - heres what bankers look for

Final round interview competencies:
Business knowledge
Analytical Ability
Energy and Drive
Communication
Collaboration
Courage
Did it take you the regular 3 years to become an associate? Also, how much are you currently on? Personal question i know \ but its fine if you don't want to share, or pm me if you want.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Is this really a good place to be as we move into a world financial crisis'
I personally think the direction the world is headed with the anti bankers mantra, IB will become less well paid and less glamorous (e.g. refer to European salary cap on bankers). That being said, those technical skills, personality traits and strong relationships will be utilised elsewhere and in order to attract talent, those areas will need to offer equally good compensation packages. Wealth management will be the next IB in the war on talent and money.

Bobbo1

HSC
hey serimify, what kind of uni degrees/skills are required for wealth management?

is a roflcopter
HSC
banking is pretty fked, bonus is about 50-70% of what it was in the good times?

yes 3 years to associate, i dunno what bonus i will get, i make 150k salary. would be happy with another 100-120 bonus? could be less, could be fired tomorrow, who knows. 5 years ago i would have expected 200+. so this is poverty, relatively speaking.

wealth management? no. IB will still be the best paid "working class". just that the overall level is so low that the work/life equation isnt making any sense and the really smart people are more attracted to silicon valley.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Newbie, what degree(s) did you do in uni? Sorry if you answered this already, but I can't find it.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
banking is pretty fked, bonus is about 50-70% of what it was in the good times?

yes 3 years to associate, i dunno what bonus i will get, i make 150k salary. would be happy with another 100-120 bonus? could be less, could be fired tomorrow, who knows. 5 years ago i would have expected 200+. so this is poverty, relatively speaking.

wealth management? no. IB will still be the best paid "working class". just that the overall level is so low that the work/life equation isnt making any sense and the really smart people are more attracted to silicon valley.
Haha nothing will make more money than IB in all the conventional tyre kicking jobs we're talking about. But it is still well down. 150k sounds a bit low, but is probably right enough that it's within a big ballpark range. I was on more than that in 2010 and I remember we graduated around same time? Maybe it's the currency.

Plenty of other ways to make money though. I just made a couple hundred k by investing in something these 2 months, of course I haven't realised it but no matter how I stack the numbers that's the minimum.

Last edited:

is a roflcopter
HSC
life is tough
i need another 2010 in the equity markets, im ready to go all in.
really want to buy an r8, ironman incepted me hard

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
One punt and you could be done if you have around $500k saved up.

Won't be in property though. I've been meaning to go back permanently all these years but just couldn't bring myself to liquidate assets here and shift over there, especially with the way things are going there. Was looking at Soho last month and prices have reached $15000/sq ft+ for unrenovated "tong laus". Bar currency I still see more upside in Syd/Melb. Perhaps in a correction I'll shift there big time.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad

Won't be in property though. I've been meaning to go back permanently all these years but just couldn't bring myself to liquidate assets here and shift over there, especially with the way things are going there. Was looking at Soho last month and prices have reached $15000/sq ft+ for unrenovated "tong laus". Bar currency I still see more upside in Syd/Melb. Perhaps in a correction I'll shift there big time.
interesting

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

What do you actually do?, curious.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
The devil is Santa's friend

Tinkler may be falling now, but is probably still richer than the everyone's future bosses on this thread combined.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)