What is it like to be at the top? (1 Viewer)

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
well would YOU be happy being a research scientist?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Just do what you'll be happy in. If your family has the money support, then should be ok.
And I think researchers still get above average wage anyways.

hayabusaboston

HSC
well would YOU be happy being a research scientist?
Well yea, its fun, I'd love to delve into the intricate world of neuroscience and perhaps discover something beautiful and new and spectacular with the brain. But I dont want to be broke, and have no money besides the shitty salary all research scientists get.

I wouldn't enjoy any career besides acting/voice acting and brain research. And acting etc is friggin hard to make a living out of, moreso than research, cos you gotta KNOW people to get big.

And then there's medicine. Good ol' medicine. Can't stand looking at sick people.

Last edited:

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Well yea, its fun, I'd love to delve into the intricate world of neuroscience and perhaps discover something beautiful and new and spectacular with the brain. But I dont want to be broke, and have no money besides the shitty salary all research scientists get.
what is this salary exactly?

hayabusaboston

HSC
I didn't quite catch the "I gave up so easily". Is that a yes or no?
What do you mean yes or no?

by "gave up" I mean, the monotony and restrictions placed upon me in high school diminished the flame burning inside me, the yearning for knowledge in science and maths and technology. Such a simple thing like 6 years of high school killed off my dreams, thats what I meant.

And kiraken, idk exact salary, I just vaguely remember reading some stats a while ago about researchers having great financial struggles all the time. Who knows, I could be wrong. High school principals earn 120k per year isnt it? That could be fun haha. Or not.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
What do you mean yes or no?

by "gave up" I mean, the monotony and restrictions placed upon me in high school diminished the flame burning inside me, the yearning for knowledge in science and maths and technology. Such a simple thing like 6 years of high school killed off my dreams, thats what I meant.

And kiraken, idk exact salary, I just vaguely remember reading some stats a while ago about researchers having great financial struggles all the time. Who knows, I could be wrong. High school principals earn 120k per year isnt it? That could be fun haha. Or not.
if it's something you enjoy then maybe don't dismiss it as a career especially if your reasons to do so are based on speculation you can't really remember lol

edit: 75k as a median isn't that bad

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I think you should use the next month or so to meditate a bit about what you want to do.

hayabusaboston

HSC
if it's something you enjoy then maybe don't dismiss it as a career especially if your reasons to do so are based on speculation you can't really remember lol

edit: 75k as a median isn't that bad
I remember a lot of random facts and figures, from over the years, from all the books, sites and sources of information ive read, my brain always has something buzzing around in my head and I can never quite pinpoint where I acquired that information, but by associative memory I always have something interesting pop into my head just about anytime, anywhere haha.

Problem is, ppl often dont believe me about certain facts or tidbits of info I tell them, and its impossible for me to recall where I found it haha.

Nevertheless, there are some people who enjoy listening to my random blabbering of trivia each day.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I'm "at the top" for my school, but I go to a small school with classes ranging between 4-15 people, so it's not that much of an achievement. However, being top means having a reputation for getting everything right and knowing everything, which I know I don't deserve as I am only very human and make just as many mistakes as others. I get this kind of paranoia when I answer something in class that if it's wrong people are gonna make a big deal out of it.
Also I feel like I have to do well, otherwise I let my teachers down. Other than that, teachers having a good impression of you really works in your favour as they tend to be a little biased in your favour.

I've gone through my entire highschool career without having to study or stress, and I worry that these habits are really going to make me fail in university.
I feel the exact same as you. I'm top of everything in a smaller, more regional school (most classes are around 10-15 people), which comes with all of it's own problems as I have no idea where I would sit in the state or whether I have any right to offer my answer to this question. When you're first, you do have that pressure to be right all of the time and if someone else equals your mark in an assessment they make such a huge deal about it.

That being said, I've loved school. I love all of my subjects so much, and I have been so lucky to have teachers that don't just answer my questions with 'I don't know', but 'I'll find out'. While I do find the syllabus a bit restrictive, I generally go beyond it where I find it prudent or compelling to do so, and there's so much content on the internet that I can generally arrive at a conclusion myself, without the aid of a teacher (I generally double check where possible though, in case I'm way off). I consider myself really lucky to be able to find so much enjoyment in studying, though I think that comes down to not only being clever but choosing subjects wisely.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I consider myself really lucky to be able to find so much enjoyment in studying, though I think that comes down to not only being clever but choosing subjects wisely.
+1

I only chose what I really wanted to do, and I excelled in my school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)