What is Macquarie Law Like? (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha don't pick a uni because your friends are going to it, there are 30,000 people to make friends with. I made friends with 4th and 5th years in my first semester doing a japanese subject, and there are plenty of them to make friends with at uni, if you're willing :)

monique66

I think I must be insane but I can't wait until uni starts...I've been waiting to do law for half of my life. I'd never select a uni because my friends are going there, my choice is purely to do with my interests. I just thought it would be interesting to investigate who else is going to mac. Yay! I'm seriously beginning to wonder why I want uni to start now, maybe I have a temperature...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha its all good, i was pretty stoked about getting to uni, and enjoying every moment of it :)

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
Haha its all good, i was pretty stoked about getting to uni, and enjoying every moment of it :)
Definitely.

I'm so glad I'm now doing something I enjoy, with people I enjoy, with people who enjoy teaching it. :D

Phanatic

HSC
Wow, this thread has really energised me. So much love. How odd. Thanks guys! :)

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
GoodToGo said:
The Law School will provide you with a "Welcome to Macquarie Law School" function with beer, wine and nibblies after your first class. There'll be invites to countless functions, socials, law competitions (we're looking for revenge against Sydney Uni in '06!). Friendships will be forged, strange latin terms will be learnt, and the crazy drunken antics of first year law camp will be forever burnt into your brain (if you do it right)!
Hearing about the introduction to Law School, from the perspective of a BBA/Psych student really got me... Angry? Sensitive?

MJ quoted them once upon a time.. I don't remember the quote, but it was something along the lines of "you're the most intelligent people in the uni, and so deserve to be treated specially", naturally accompanied with flowing wine and champange and H'orderves... Have no problem with them being the 'smartest' -- arguably, based on UAI, they probably have the highest concentration of high UAI students... Somehow it's just the general manner and style that rubs me up the wrong way.

That said, the Law school is awesome, from what I've seen. If you're involved in the competitions it'll really keep you involved and give you good experience: something that other departments either don't do, or do very little toward... From what I've seen, anyway.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Definitely.

I'm so glad I'm now doing something I enjoy, with people I enjoy, with people who enjoy teaching it. :D
With people you enjoy ay? All I picture is cannabalism.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Skittled said:
Hearing about the introduction to Law School, from the perspective of a BBA/Psych student really got me... Angry? Sensitive?

MJ quoted them once upon a time.. I don't remember the quote, but it was something along the lines of "you're the most intelligent people in the uni, and so deserve to be treated specially", naturally accompanied with flowing wine and champange and H'orderves... Have no problem with them being the 'smartest' -- arguably, based on UAI, they probably have the highest concentration of high UAI students... Somehow it's just the general manner and style that rubs me up the wrong way.

That said, the Law school is awesome, from what I've seen. If you're involved in the competitions it'll really keep you involved and give you good experience: something that other departments either don't do, or do very little toward... From what I've seen, anyway.
Haha i think id have a little bitch if i heard that as well, i still rate ACST > Law rofl

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Skittled said:

I remember thinking something similar and that when i saw all that food at the end of the first law lecture i started to think how much i wish psych had all that stuff!! (i remember i was annoyed that day because i had to go early so i saw all the nice food they had but had to leave straight away!!)

X

xeuyrawp

erawamai said:
With people you enjoy ay? All I picture is cannabalism.
mmm, this meat is nice, Sally. Very well cooked... Who is this?

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
*bags Rachel*
I saw here again a few days ago. She was smoking, with about 8 different AH nerds around her, pedwell for one. I hate pedwell.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
I saw here again a few days ago. She was smoking, with about 8 different AH nerds around her, pedwell for one. I hate pedwell.
Haha, oh man, *sighs and swoons for AH geekness of Rachel*

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
Haha, oh man, *sighs and swoons for AH geekness of Rachel*
Anyone who can say 'fuck me' in 5 different ancient languages deserves your respect. :uhhuh:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hahaha oh fuck yes, and anyone who can work a computer in AHST dept = <3

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Skittled said:

Ahh, I was once a BBA/Psych student as well...bailed once I encountered STATs.

I think there's an image that law and lawyers are tied to extravagance...perhaps even decadance. It is a professional, elite industry and it's the lawyers with the million dollar harbour views in Sydney's best skyscrapers, working on billion dollar deals and "bet the company" litigation, wearing ties worth more than most people's suits. I guess all that trickles down to the lawschools to some extent (less so for MQ than say USYD).

But having said that a) most people at Macquare law are very down to earth, and b) most lawyers won't get into corporate law and be fabulously wealthy.
c) The Division of Law has the crappest bulding in the whole uni.

--

Also, for anyone considering Law at MQ, there's a really good FAQ section on the website: http://www.law.mq.edu.au

Last edited:

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
GoodToGo said:
I think there's an image that law and lawyers are tied to extravagance...perhaps even decadance. It is a professional, elite industry and it's the lawyers with the million dollar harbour views in Sydney's best skyscrapers, working on billion dollar deals and "bet the company" litigation, wearing ties worth more than most people's suits. I guess all that trickles down to the lawschools to some extent (less so for MQ than say USYD).
haha I'm familiar with the rep; though working on the MQ pathways hotline generated an interesting quote, today;

"Lawyers are just the Doctors who didn't get a UAI high enough to do Medicine". ;)

I know it's a major generalisation, but I thought it encapsualtes the 'eliteness' quite nicely, indicating that it's not so much the discipline that they'd choose medicine or law for, as much as it's rep -- who flicks between preferred disciplines so easily?

Of course, I'm referring to "they" quite bitterly here... interpret at will :D

Last edited:

princessj

PRINCESS JACKLIN!!!
HSC
clairegirl said:
i heard it's good lol

Your lucky there's quite a few people on here that do law or have done law subjects

Most of my friends from school chose macq law over uts... because macq focus's on the .....

hang on this is what i heard okay

"If you want to save the world go do macquarie law... if you want to rule the world goto sydney or unsw law... if u want to be an architect goto uts"

Don't flame me! its what i heard alright ....

i think mj, phwar, cyan phoenix, nicky n that are in a better position to explain macq law lol
hey i dont get the difference or what u mean when u say save the world or rule the world... wat do the other unis have to make u rule rather than save or similarly for macq and saving...

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Even though i dropped law, i still found it a good subject with lots of nice people (didnt notice any snobs at all in maq law) and would recommend people try it if they are curious about it. I think the main reason that i didnt continue it is that i was already too much into psych by the time i tried a unit of law and i didnt really want to do a double degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)