what is so bad about UWS? (1 Viewer)

runnable

HSC
i
i dont think the gap between UWS->UNSW is the same as UWS->Harvard so its a pretty retarded analogy. a better one would be 6.5GPA @ UWS or 3.5GPA at UNSW?
As retarded as your claim of "universities don't matter at all"?

My analogy was just to illustrate that university does matter. Yes the gap is very large between UWS and UNSW. UWS is not even top 500 in the world. Not even close.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Just to summarise UWS - my parents said they would rather me go to tafe, get an apprenticeship, or work in coles instead of going to UWS (in the random chance i didnt get into any other uni). I think that summarises UWS pretty well.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Just to summarise UWS - my parents said they would rather me go to tafe, get an apprenticeship, or work in coles instead of going to UWS (in the random chance i didnt get into any other uni). I think that summarises UWS pretty well.
Hmmm, because most people's parents know a lot about university. Sounds like a great elitist attitude to have, none of the above mentioned things should be looked down upon, we all have talents and they differ from others. University is not for everyone and someone should not be looked down upon because they went to tafe or did an apprenticeship. Please do not suggest for a second that someone who goes to tafe, UWS, works at coles or does an apprenticeship does not work as hard as someone else, yes maybe the work is different but hard work is hard work, commitment is commitment and class is seeing that different is not bad, wrong or any less.

Last edited:

broskies1

Bachelor Law/Arts
HSC
To be honest UWS is obviously not as prestigious as the other Universities in the Sydney metrapolitan area.. BUT when it comes to like doing Law or Medicine.. it gives an avenue to enter your feild

i would want to do law .. but there's no way im getting an ATAR of like 99+... so i think its good that it gives people an oppourtunity to expand and enter their feild of interest.. but if your going to be doing a subject that in like UTS or USYD requires only 70 atar or lower.. and your going to do it at UWS.. then goodluck with that.. bad its got bad idea wriiten all over it.

good thing is .. gives hands on experince and you can transfer after a year.. instead of doing some crap subject u hate for a year then transfering.

samirs_maxin

HSC
How is UWS for B Business/Commerce its at 72.55ATAR dis yr and I want to get into that because Im pretty interested in doing this course at UWS but in this thread people are sayin medicine and law are great and other courses are shit so hows Business/commerce ?
Thanks

MJ-47

HSC
How is UWS for B Business/Commerce its at 72.55ATAR dis yr and I want to get into that because Im pretty interested in doing this course at UWS but in this thread people are sayin medicine and law are great and other courses are shit so hows Business/commerce ?
Thanks
look you probably wont get a straight answer here. but anyway if you like it go for it. dont make life chocies based on comments from anonymous's cause it wont work out well

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
To be honest UWS is obviously not as prestigious as the other Universities in the Sydney metrapolitan area.. BUT when it comes to like doing Law or Medicine.. it gives an avenue to enter your feild

i would want to do law .. but there's no way im getting an ATAR of like 99+... so i think its good that it gives people an oppourtunity to expand and enter their feild of interest.. but if your going to be doing a subject that in like UTS or USYD requires only 70 atar or lower.. and your going to do it at UWS.. then goodluck with that.. bad its got bad idea wriiten all over it.

good thing is .. gives hands on experince and you can transfer after a year.. instead of doing some crap subject u hate for a year then transfering.
UWS Law isn't regarded highly at all. Good luck transferring to USYD, UNSW or UTS law with a 90 ATAR.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
UWS Law isn't regarded highly at all. Good luck transferring to USYD, UNSW or UTS law with a 90 ATAR.
Quite a few UWS students get into MQ and UTS law with a decent GPA, but of course you wouldn't know that because you're still doing your HSC. Keep in mind just because you did UWS doesn't mean your ATAR was 90, a lot of people in UWS law get between 95 and 90, thus they don't quite make the MQ or UTS cut off but manage to later with a good GPA. Its also no more difficult than doing something like Arts at USYD/UNSW/UTS and then trying to transfer into the law program.

HSC
When I work in the whole careers market scene, I make it my business not to lie or mislead people. I've noticed that a lot of people do lie and mislead, however, simply in order to conform to the rules of careers markets and to avoid any sort of trouble - whether it's legal trouble or simply getting in an argument with someone.

Macquarie is definitely well respected in some areas; actuarial studies, economics, education, history are all certainly well-regarded inside and outside Australia.

However if I were to be a lawyer, or simply wanted to study law, I would avoid Macquarie like the plague. I would say that even UWS might be better for some areas of law than Macquarie. Likewise if I wanted to do medical science or engineering; there are far better places than Macquarie.

The same sorts of things can be said for any uni, really, although some unis have more positives than others.

Put another spin on it: Graphic design, photography, film, music, etc. I get asked about that area a lot. University is probably the worst place you can go if you want to be a graphic designer, photographer, etc. Go to a private college and get practical experience. Yes, universities do offer these courses, but they all pale in comparison to even the decent design colleges like Raffles, Billy Blue, etc. Even a fantastic place like COFA is becoming far too theoretical, which is fine given it's a university.
totally agree with everything you said there there. great post.

As retarded as your claim of "universities don't matter at all"?

My analogy was just to illustrate that university does matter. Yes the gap is very large between UWS and UNSW. UWS is not even top 500 in the world. Not even close.
yes i'm sure it is large, but it is nowhere near as large as UWS and Harvard so using those two universities is not a great idea.

and in saying that, those 'top universities' are
a) a matter of a panel of peoples opinion (which is valid, i'm sure but nonetheless very hard to be subjective)
b) as you get closer and closer to the top, its total wankfest as to who actually deserves number 1 or 2 or 3 etc. because i think they'd just be splitting hairs getting so close. its not like uni number 100 has toilets and university number 300 does not have toilets on campus. do some research into the top universities before assuming its a cut and dry ranking system. its like the top 100 in the state for uai, does number 100 a complete dumbass and number 1 a genius? not realy
c) its very hard to quantitatively measure how great a university is unless you strictly measure employment prospects, pay, etc. (Which isn't necessarily the best way to measure a university's quality) and even in saying that, its upto an individual to get a job or employed.
the only reason harvard, oxford, cambridge etc. get jobs so readily is because employers invite the graduates out to dinners! they offer them jobs, they dont make them work over summer for peanuts and _may_ offer them a position.

and also, by making a uni batshit insane hard to get into (lets set the issue of quality aside) chances are they will study their ass off to remain there and go well. its kinda like if you oppress someone they will either cave in our boune back and go better than they normally would.
the above explains why 1st and 2nd generation immigration people tend to own about 4 houses but drive a 1982 ford cortina

Hmmm, because most people's parents know a lot about university. Sounds like a great elitist attitude to have, none of the above mentioned things should be looked down upon, we all have talents and they differ from others. University is not for everyone and someone should not be looked down upon because they went to tafe or did an apprenticeship. Please do not suggest for a second that someone who goes to tafe, UWS, works at coles or does an apprenticeship does not work as hard as someone else, yes maybe the work is different but hard work is hard work, commitment is commitment and class is seeing that different is not bad, wrong or any less.
exactly. how else did migrants without any degree or even high school make it big? sacrafice? ambition. our generation is way too greedy and self centered and expect too much too soon

Quite a few UWS students get into MQ and UTS law with a decent GPA, but of course you wouldn't know that because you're still doing your HSC. Keep in mind just because you did UWS doesn't mean your ATAR was 90, a lot of people in UWS law get between 95 and 90, thus they don't quite make the MQ or UTS cut off but manage to later with a good GPA. Its also no more difficult than doing something like Arts at USYD/UNSW/UTS and then trying to transfer into the law program.
She's right. ive seen people get into law with lower uai's than 90 but a great GPA and we all know how batshit insane hard it is to get into unsw law. I also know for a fact that UWS law is frowned upon, my friend does law at uws and she said everywhere she applied for a job they told her they prefer unsw/usyd graduates first. even if you are at unsw or usyd (or even uts) to get a decent law grad position u need great marks, the battle never stops

edit: i realise i contradicted myself with the above statement, when i said 'uni doesn't matter' i was quoting what I was told at the careers expo in August sometime, i still was a bit ~ about that statement

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Its also funny that a lot of the arguments against UWS (lower ATAR, lower quality students, location, lack of funding, lack of prestige, only for people who don't get anywhere else) also apply to many regional universities (and I am in no way attacking them) yet most people do not say CSU, SCU, UNE etc are crap!

HSC
i'd like to know what employers/people REALLY think about australian national university. its apparently better than melbourne uni, but who the hell will travel too/lives in canberra?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
UAI/ATAR are no good indication of how well a student will perform in uni, the way you study at uni is different from the way you study in high school. In my law classes, among the best performing students are the mature age entrants. You also get some whose UAI was high enough to get a place at one of the city law schools, who chose to come here, and performing not as well as the mature aged students. I got into the Law/Arts degree with no UAI, as I've never been to high school here in Australia. I applied with my Foundation Studies results from SWIC, which is now UWS College in Westmead, and I got no A in my transcript, most of my marks were Bs, with a C in Statistics. So what? I admit I don't perform as well as I wish at my Arts degree (which also shows being able to perform well in one discipline doesn't mean you will perform well in another discipline), but for my Law degree, with the exception of the Letter of Advice assignment for which I got a mere Pass (when lots of students failed that one), none other assessment that I've ever done in my Law degree got anything below a Credit, and Credit is now my minimal requirement for my Law units.
With my GPA (dragged down by my Arts unit), I'll be honest, I won't get a place at USyd or UNSW law schools; but I think I could stand a good chance to get a transfer to a couple of other Group of 8 law schools, such as ANU or Uni of Adelaide. But no, thanks, I won't transfer, don't want to move interstate. I could also possibly get a place at Macquarie, but Melsc, you talked me out of the attempt to transfer to MQ Law.
UWS law is practical, I heard there are something like 4 moot assessments throughout the law degree; I prefer to stay away from writing essays, and do something more hands-on, something I will utilise when I enter the profession.
Our medical students? Well, they have the privilege of having a whole building to themselves.
The thing is, if you do law at UWS, I'd advise you choose Campbelltown if it's not too hard for you to get there. Robert Hayes is there teaching Torts, Advanced Torts and Criminal Law, and he could help you get a clerkship when you are still doing your first year, and Steven Freeland is there teaching International Law. Brian Sully QC is there teaching Advocacy one semester out of a year.
Yeah man, people are definitely going to read that.

X

xeuyrawp

its apparently better than melbourne uni, but who the hell will travel too/lives in canberra?
I think that's a valid concern until you realise that the best universities in the world are essentially in the middle of nowhere. The only thing good about Oxford is that it's an hour from London; New Haven, Providence, Cambridge MA (Yale, Brown, Harvard and MIT) are all holes, as is Cambridge in the UK for that matter... The best German universities are in Universitätstat; ie university towns, where there's literally nothing else to do. The only notable example I can think of is Chicago, but then again students there tend to either live in a college or around the campus.

The point is, you go to university to be at university. For those three+ years of your life, you're a university student at University of x, and you study, hang out, live, eat, sleep with other members of that university. Studies have shown that living/being on campus is essentially far better for students.

I even remember Natalie Portman saying in some Aussie interview 'why would you not want to stay on campus?' when the interviewer asking her if she was going to live near Harvard. It's just assumed in the US and UK that if you're intelligent, you're going to move out and live on-campus.

It's such a shame that (again) Australian universities have taken the path of what's popular and not what's right. /high horse

HSC
I think that's a valid concern until you realise that the best universities in the world are essentially in the middle of nowhere. The only thing good about Oxford is that it's an hour from London; New Haven, Providence, Cambridge MA (Yale, Brown, Harvard and MIT) are all holes, as is Cambridge in the UK for that matter... The best German universities are in Universitätstat; ie university towns, where there's literally nothing else to do. The only notable example I can think of is Chicago, but then again students there tend to either live in a college or around the campus.

The point is, you go to university to be at university. For those three+ years of your life, you're a university student at University of x, and you study, hang out, live, eat, sleep with other members of that university. Studies have shown that living/being on campus is essentially far better for students.

I even remember Natalie Portman saying in some Aussie interview 'why would you not want to stay on campus?' when the interviewer asking her if she was going to live near Harvard. It's just assumed in the US and UK that if you're intelligent, you're going to move out and live on-campus.

It's such a shame that (again) Australian universities have taken the path of what's popular and not what's right. /high horse
hmm very true, i stayed in karlsruhe in germany and that was apparently one of germanys best tech uni's lol

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
I think that's a valid concern until you realise that the best universities in the world are essentially in the middle of nowhere.
nah..
boston, san fransico, london, new york, chicago, philidelphia, etc is 'the middle of nowhere'?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)