What is so good about Acst??? (1 Viewer)

feng

geez both of you...stop trying to inflate ure post count damn stat whores :p

say something useful!

acst is cool

CloudStrife

HSC
yeh...i rekon its if u enjoy dealing with numbers/simulation stuff.....

to that utopia game question....yeh i used to play that but was more into earth2025

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
feng said:
geez both of you...stop trying to inflate ure post count damn stat whores :p

say something useful!

acst is cool
and you call that useful? *shakes head*

(disclaimer: flyin' makes no claim this post is useful)

feng

CloudStrife said:
to that utopia game question....yeh i used to play that but was more into earth2025

haha when i stopped utopia i started earth...thats pretty fun too =P

flamin'

Logix said:
is it mainly working with numbers or alot of theory thrown in aswell?
As I said.. it can be different things.

My work is Actuarial - but I do no calculations. It can vary a lot. Hand calcs may not even be needed sometimes because they just use software.

aditya

HSC
actuaries have less of a life... they work harder as their work is on a ocnsulting basis and hence has time demands... clients wnat their reports as fast as possible hence this may meen wokring long hours... to some... this may mean joy... to others who dont like what they're doing... will mean badness... so basicalli if u dunt like working with numbers, computer simulations and other finance related causes a great deal... then it just isnt for u...

however, if ur a dead set sucker for money related issues and u love pricing things etc (i know it soudns weird just think baout it im tired atm) then you should do it... because there are huge advantages....

1 advntage - FUCKING SHIT LOADS OF MONEY
2nd advantage (i see it as an ad) - superficial or not... we all like classy aprties.... (if u dunt then yeh its cool) and acturies have to network heaps so this would mean thorwing parties and getting invtied to them ;)
3. SHIT LOAD OF MONEY
4. great job prospects
5. great SKILLS - mad quantitative skills...
6. FUKN SHIT LOAD OF MONEY

no seirousli there is a ton of money...... 3 years after getting ur part 3s u should expect to be earning 150+ some earn heaps more than that... others dunt.. .but 25 years old and earning 150k... that is phenominal...

feng

its not exactly 'FUCKN SHITLOADS OF MONEY' you realise

starting off an actuaries salary is probably just slightly higher than the average white collar worker's wages

if u get higher up, then your salary starts going up up up, when you get your quailifications etcetc

it all depends on you...the same as any other job.

i'll prob be starting up a utopia province next round haha work is pretty boring during lunch time

flamin'

aditya said:
actuaries have less of a life... they work harder as their work is on a ocnsulting basis and hence has time demands... clients wnat their reports as fast as possible hence this may meen wokring long hours... to some... this may mean joy... to others who dont like what they're doing... will mean badness... so basicalli if u dunt like working with numbers, computer simulations and other finance related causes a great deal... then it just isnt for u...

however, if ur a dead set sucker for money related issues and u love pricing things etc (i know it soudns weird just think baout it im tired atm) then you should do it... because there are huge advantages....

1 advntage - FUCKING SHIT LOADS OF MONEY
2nd advantage (i see it as an ad) - superficial or not... we all like classy aprties.... (if u dunt then yeh its cool) and acturies have to network heaps so this would mean thorwing parties and getting invtied to them ;)
3. SHIT LOAD OF MONEY
4. great job prospects
5. great SKILLS - mad quantitative skills...
6. FUKN SHIT LOAD OF MONEY

no seirousli there is a ton of money...... 3 years after getting ur part 3s u should expect to be earning 150+ some earn heaps more than that... others dunt.. .but 25 years old and earning 150k... that is phenominal...
Well I dunno about what kind of experience or knowledge of the working environment adiyta has... but I will say what I see:

Not all actuarial is consulting. Yes the guys in my office has time demands but you can say that about any job. The guys work late IF they have to to get a job done... but if they haven't got much to do then they leave early.

Money is not great for graduates. In general, Investment Bankers earn more. A fully qualified Actuary can earn heaps (easily 6 figures) but thats fully qualified and its hard to get that.

Classy parties? Well there was a christmas party yea... I dunno bout that stuff... But a lot of actuaries keep in contact and work together heaps even overseas.

Job prospects in Australia are crap. There are better job prospects overseas esp. China. However, the China guys are super super smart... high quality people. There is big demand for fully qualified Actuaries in Asia though.

Yea you have to have good quantitative skills. You have to like that stuff. You can get through without being top notch at it though.

flamin'

In general life insurance, a friend of mine got a job earning 40k - 50k graduate position. She has a friend who earns 80k in Investment banking graduate position. But their lives are crap.. they gotta wake up heaps early for the stock market etc.

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
what kind of qualifications would u need for investment banking?

i'd say a finance major wud be a starting point, and what else? acst? accounting?

flamin'

Accounting should be sufficient. But its not about qualifications. You have to have a major interest in it and be very knowledgeable about the current market. It is hard to get a good job in I banking.

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
i was talkn to sum1 who works at macq bank yesterday morning on train and he was telling me how ubs has a competition re. option pricing and the actuaries always do well coz the accountants etc dont really get wots going on..
so i fink any quantitative job..an actuary is prefered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)