What is the average raw mark for physics? (1 Viewer)

sonic1988

The Rookie
HSC
As the title, does any one have a clue or some statistic about the average raw mark for physics? I wonder can a 55 % raw mark be 70 - 75 alligned ?

jah_lu

HSC
N/A
dont worry about it too much
dont have proper stats cos they dotn release raw marks
but in 04 wen ppl complained about freedom of info
it said 87 raw was 95 aligned
now 94 is like top 1% so im guessing very few would get ova 80 (less than 10%)
so average would be about 60 im guessing

ads89

HSC
sonic1988 said:
As the title, does any one have a clue or some statistic about the average raw mark for physics? I wonder can a 55 % raw mark be 70 - 75 alligned ?
fuk nooooooooo. 55 raw would suk coz most of the state would get around there

matindo64

HSC
hahaha ads89 i believe band 4 (70-79) IS the state average? so if everyone gets 55s then it should translate into a 70-75.

ads89

HSC
matindo64 said:
hahaha ads89 i believe band 4 (70-79) IS the state average? so if everyone gets 55s then it should translate into a 70-75.
sorry mate.. I took scaling into account. I come from a public school where the average is below 30 (I'm not kidding). So a band 4 mark, would sometime be the bare minimum (with a decent rank) to still achieve a decent UAI. I really doubt that the average would be 55% raw. That's pretty bad. I was just pulling shit out of the top of my head, i'm not sure about the exact averages (no1 does besides bos), unless you wnat to contest them using the freedom of information law.

Last edited:

imprsiv

HSC
Raw mark of 48-49/100 aligned to 70 (band 4) in 03 me thinks

Caitlin2022

HSC
They usually mark physics really hard so I wouldn't be suprised if a band 6 was a raw mark of 80+

ads89

HSC
Caitlin2022 said:
They usually mark physics really hard so I wouldn't be suprised if a band 6 was a raw mark of 80+
i agree

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
i dont think you can find out what your raw marks are anyway so dont worry about it

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
watalebo said:
what does raw mark mean? and what does aligned mark mean?

Raw mark is the actual mark that you got on the exam.

Aligned mark is the mark that is reported to you that you got on the exam.

The Raw marks are over the full range from 0 - 100 but the giovernment has set minimum standards and that equates to 50%. They then put in place a team of judges who align the raw marks for that year to the standards set in the Bands and thus raw marks are aligned upwards to match the band descriptors. In most subjects Band 4 cuts in at around about the raw mark of high 40s or low 50s (based on my personal experience of doing the judging for a couple of years and talking to other judges in other courses about their cut-offs).

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Note: Raw marks could also be aligned downwards depending on the difficulty of the exam/strength of the cohort :).

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
markzada said:
Note: Raw marks could also be aligned downwards depending on the difficulty of the exam/strength of the cohort :).

In theory yes but in practice it hasn't happened.

As the exams go through a rigorous vetting process before they are approved they are set to the right standard so the aligning will mean that raw marks are aligned upwards. For them to have to go down would mean a very easy exam. The strength of the cohort has nothing to do with aligning. In theory every student can get over 90 in the course if they meet the standard. There is no set percentage of students in each band.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)