What is the best textbook for HSC Chemistry? (1 Viewer)

I have three chem. textbooks so I thought I'd come and put in ym two cents. If you're looking for a book to memorise and know everyhting off by heart use Conq. chem. There isn't too much there that's irrelevant to the syllabus but it doesn't go much beyond the syllabus IMHO so you'll prob. hve to learn the entire thing. If you're looking for something which'll explain all the concepts behind it (if u can grasp the concepts) then use Longman Contexts (though I've found a mistake in there - structure of cellulose). Longman's good if you can get your head around the 'why' or it all in Chem, and it means that I don't have to memorise things because I understand them. Different people use dif. methods of learning. Pathways is quite terrible in a lot of places, but learn it's AAS section and some of the huge 8 mark questions, Conq. won't have enough.

And in class, we use the Q10 open high school sheets which are quite brilliant for application, cos they're like a workbook and textbook combined? I've heard the Success One is also pretty brilliant but I don't own it so I can't comment. I'm not one for doing lotsa questions anyway. I'd rather read Longman and learn irrelevant info.

Originally posted by -=AETOS=-
If your serious bout killing chem you cant go pask Chem Pathways. If you have the time to learn the content from that book you are looking at 90+ easily. It has absolutely everything + extras. Personally I have 4 chem books. Thickett, Conc Chem, Excel + the Past HSC question book. At school our text is Conc Chem but the teacher photocopies from Excell, but mostly from pathways.
I used to be lke that, about Pathways, but then I bought the Longman and it's really really good. It's got brilliant diagrams and even more detail than Pathways and I actually found it interesting. I taught myself Shipwrecks in absolutely no time, and because it was interesting, I hardly had to memorise anything, it just all stuck in my head. Pathways is just the old course repackaged.

I don't have thickett, what's Thickett like? You people don't seem to be saying very favourable things about it.

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
We use Chemistry Context at my school .... pretty damn heavy like someone said ... also have CC. Together they make a nice (heavy) couple :)

Ac

COMPREHENSIVE

I use a variety of textbooks and find that CONQUERING CHEMISTRY is best for revision and for writing notes while CHEMISTRY CONTEXTS 2 is best in explaining the more difficult ideas in chemistry. The only thing EXCEL is good for is tiolet paper.

quartic

agreed Excell is the biggest load of shite. I swear it lost me marks in the half yearly by lulling me into a false sense of security since I studied mostly from it and it dosn't have near the info needed for the course

schwang_thang

yups i agree

thickett has a hell of alota shit in there but i guess if u take the tyme 2 read it (which i havent- much) u cud kill the course.

but if u're bz n want sumthing staight from the syllabus, i'd go 4 conq. chem...its pretty straightforward n doesnt babble 2 much.

n excel is crap. unless u wanna get thru the course in a few days.

miss_bloom

the only textbook ive ever used in my life is conq chem.. damn i love that thing i sleep with it under my pillow its a godsend :)
ive memorised everything in it down pat and i can recite things off the top of my head

vostar

Well i use a combination of books from macmillian chemistry pathways to conquering chemistry. Even though macmillian is a bit more difficult it covers most aspects really well.

kwabon

Banned
HSC
here r all text/guides that meet the syllabus (new hsc)

- Chemistry Contexts 2/e Irwin
- MacMillan Chemistry Pathways series
- Spotlight Chemistry Heffernan
- Longman Chemistry Context 1/e Irwin
- Excel Chemistry
- Heinemann Chemistry
- Success One HSC Chemistry
- Surfing Chemistry Schell
- Conquering Chemistry 3/e Smith
- Dotpoint Chemistry
- Excel Revise in a month: Chemistry
- Jacaranda Chemistry series Thickett
- Conquering Chemistry 4/e Smith
:)
best textbook

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
Chemistry Contexts is the best for questions
Conquering Chemistry is best for theory

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)