What is the best trilogy of books or series? (1 Viewer)

jennylim

HSC
atm i rate harry potter as 1 and LotR as 2...

but i suppose deep down i know LotR is the greater achievement and grudgingly would accept that it is the "best". i just enjoy harry potter heaps more.

hitchhiker's guide must also have a mention :) man i love douglas adams humour!!

edited because, to my horror, i managed to forget a couple of classics - namely, the narnia series and anne of green gables! (particularly the first few...the last ones are a bit boring and lose the original flavour).

Last edited:

froglenn

HSC
N/A
i liked david eddings' belgariad, r.a. salvatore's drizzt trilogies (still ongoing, but quality seems to be fading), tolkien's lotr (obviously :p), j.k. rowling's harry potter, orson scott card's ender's shadow series and also Ender's game (the other books in ender's game trilogy weren't as good the first imho), douglas adams' hitchhikers series, with the first two (guide and restaurant at the end of the universe) being particular highlights.

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
hfis said:
The Obernewtyn Chronicles (Isobelle Carmody)
The Bitterbynde (Cecilia Dart-Thornton)
Abhorsen (Garth Nix)
Exactly what I was going to say.
The final Obernewtyn is due out (finally!) next year. Hooray.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Tomorrow series;
LOTR + The hobbit. You can't deny the hobbit is awesome and a great leadup to LOTR, I must've read it fifty times as a kid;

I don't know if any other 'series' really competes. There are so many excellent single books, and a few awesome collections, two of which I've iterated like a lot of other people here.

*shrugs*

Some individual books have a lot more power than a complete series.

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
MedNez said:
Tomorrow series;
LOTR + The hobbit. You can't deny the hobbit is awesome and a great leadup to LOTR, I must've read it fifty times as a kid;

I don't know if any other 'series' really competes. There are so many excellent single books, and a few awesome collections, two of which I've iterated like a lot of other people here.

*shrugs*

Some individual books have a lot more power than a complete series.
**nods**

1. LOTR
2. HP
3. Narnia
4. Hitchiker's Guide
5. possibly Obernewtyn, but I never finished it, so I shouldn't pass judgement.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
glitter burns said:
Exactly what I was going to say.
The final Obernewtyn is due out (finally!) next year. Hooray.

REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!! ive been waiting for that book for soooooo long, since the last one came out!
OMG!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
ok here is what i gotta go with

the popular ones
Harry Potter series
LOTR

The obscure ones
Enders game series by Orson Scott Card [ me having read it BEFORE studying it]
Shadow series [ follows on from enders game series- not as good but still alright ]
Saga of Seven suns series by Keven J Anderson [ he is not shit, his own work is fine its only shit when he writes someone elses work e.g Starwars]

The ship series e.g the ship who sang, the ship who flew [ spohisticated sci-fi about an immature human a.i which operates a ship]
The Worlds series [ forget who by, its about asteroid-homes orbiting earth]
the Darwins children series[ about the next level of human evolution]

thats all that i think i can add to a pretty prestegious list allready

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Serius said:
the Darwins children series[ about the next level of human evolution]
There's more than one book ?

Or do you mean the three parts of the book?

With reference to the first (and what I thought was the only book), and going from memory here:

* Part 1 was excellent. Built up the story, really left you wanting to read more
* Part 2 threw me. Suddenly so many intricate details thrown at you. Lots of technical jargon from left field
* Part 3 got back on track, but wasn't that thrilling, but certainly a step in the right direction.

Overall I was really dissapointed, it started off great then fell to pieces, but I do appreciate the story that was meant to be communicated, et cetera, and it was a great idea.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
yeah there is Darwins radio which comes before, it was probably alot better than darwins children because what the evolution does was a complete mystery in that book and it was on the social impliciation etc... i cant remember if there was a third book or was just 2

basically i addedm it to the list because it was a pretty good series, but more than that i think it greatly added to the sc-fi genre by making an important comment on society and how accepting we are of peopel with differences.

Last edited:

Nashie

Ace up my sleeve
HSC
The Otori Trilogy by Lian Hearn

and of course LOrd of the Rings + HP

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Serius said:
yeah there is Darwins radio which comes before, it was probably alot better than darwins children because what the evolution does was a complete mystery in that book and it was on the social impliciation etc... i cant remember if there was a third book or was just 2

basically i addedm it to the list because it was a pretty good series, but more than that i think it greatly added to the sc-fi genre by making an important comment on society and how accepting we are of peopel with differences.
Ah , thank you!

I'll check it out after the HSC when I have money/time, heheh.

sarevok

HSC
imhere4themusic said:
The Valis Trilogy by Philip K. Dick
you must be joking, those books are a complete mindfuck

if dick had wanted to explore his obsession with reality he should have written essays, not such confounding surreal garbage

0Jade0

HSC
LOTR + HP
and
The Tomorrow series
Red dragon + Silence of the lambs- Thomas Harris.

FreakTrigger

HSC
N/A
I won't pretend to be able to make the claim of the greatest series ever, but i can tell you what it's not.

Anything by JK Rowling.
Anything by John Marsden.
Anything by Victor Kelleher.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
FreakTrigger said:
I won't pretend to be able to make the claim of the greatest series ever, but i can tell you what it's not.

Anything by JK Rowling.
woah, all books/series i love... wow

J

jhakka

FreakTrigger said:

Anything by JK Rowling.
Are those books you've actually read, or do you just hate them because they're popular?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)