• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What is the best uni for studying European languages? (1 Viewer)

shangtsail

HSC
Hi.
Any uni is fine, as long as it's in Australia.
I heard that ANU's good for Asian languages. What about European languages? Is ANU a good one to go to?

Please help. Thank you!!

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

Depends which languages, really, and any other related subjects (translation, linguistics, interpreting, etc) you may be looking at. Also note that most bachelors degrees won't allow you to *just* do a language - so check out what other unrelated subjects you may want to do.

Definitely also check out what international opportunities there are by way of partner institutions, opportunities to go overseas, funding, funding, and funding!

PS: Prepare for a horde of people to come on and say "x uni is the best". They're all dirty liers. :)

shangtsail

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Depends which languages, really, and any other related subjects (translation, linguistics, interpreting, etc) you may be looking at. Also note that most bachelors degrees won't allow you to *just* do a language - so check out what other unrelated subjects you may want to do.

Definitely also check out what international opportunities there are by way of partner institutions, opportunities to go overseas, funding, funding, and funding!

PS: Prepare for a horde of people to come on and say "x uni is the best". They're all dirty liers. :)
Thank you!

I just want to do Italian. I don't really care about what the other compulsory courses are because I don't really want a degree. I will probably drop out and go to Italy for music related courses.

Is ANU a good choice?

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Well...ANU is good- but languages r generally studied through a Bachelor of Arts (BA) and for that you really cant go past the University of Sydney- plus they have major international connections around the world. That is if you dont mind living in Sydney.

From what you let on in your post though, prima facie, it doesnt reali seem like you want to go to uni at all???

*Should point out- there is no best uni realli only the one which has resources that suit you the most. With languages, the rep of a uni matters little- your employability will depend upon your ability to master the language and ultimately rides on you obtaining a practical skill.

X

xeuyrawp

shangtsail said:
Thank you!

I just want to do Italian. I don't really care about what the other compulsory courses are because I don't really want a degree. I will probably drop out and go to Italy for music related courses.

Is ANU a good choice?
Few things:

Firstly, the above poster is a nob. "Can't go past University of Sydney etc" <- shit comment because I could easily go past USyd.

Secondly, if you don't want a degree, why are you looking at uni? Community colleges, training courses, tutoring groups, etc, are much more practical. You can get much more face-to-face time if you don't go to uni, to be honest. If you're adament on going to a university, though, consider looking at things like Certificates or Diplomas in Languages - which are usually a year or two of only language study (part time).

shangtsail

HSC
Thanks a lot, guys!

PwarYuex said:
if you don't want a degree, why are you looking at uni? ...
OK. It might sound stupid but my parents want me to go to one "proper uni" in Australia... I'd rather to go to Perugia...

X

xeuyrawp

shangtsail said:
Thanks a lot, guys!

OK. It might sound stupid but my parents want me to go to one "proper uni" in Australia... I'd rather to go to Perugia...
It doesn't sound surprising, but it is stupid. Obviously you need to consider issues like whether you should simply do what your parents tell you, what you want, whether you'll do well, etc.

And yeah Italy's beautiful. Do you know much of the language yet? If not, it's difficult to go to a country and just start learning it then, because by the time you become proficient, you've already spent, say, 3 months of your time there. Better to (more cheaply) live here and study for a year, and then go there, imo.

If you're interested in studying the language, though, there's no harm in enrolling in, say a Diploma of Languages at a uni, and then also enrolling in one of the awesome non-uni courses. German has the Goethe Institut - not sure about an Italian equivalent.

With the "which uni" question - definitely go to all the Open Days and see which uni you like the vibe of more. :) For a variety of reasons, if I was considering Italian, I'd singularly look at one of ANU, MQ, and USyd.

shangtsail

HSC
PwarYuex said:
It doesn't sound surprising, but it is stupid. Obviously you need to consider issues like whether you should simply do what your parents tell you, what you want, whether you'll do well, etc.

And yeah Italy's beautiful. Do you know much of the language yet? If not, it's difficult to go to a country and just start learning it then, because by the time you become proficient, you've already spent, say, 3 months of your time there. Better to (more cheaply) live here and study for a year, and then go there, imo.

If you're interested in studying the language, though, there's no harm in enrolling in, say a Diploma of Languages at a uni, and then also enrolling in one of the awesome non-uni courses. German has the Goethe Institut - not sure about an Italian equivalent.

With the "which uni" question - definitely go to all the Open Days and see which uni you like the vibe of more. :) For a variety of reasons, if I was considering Italian, I'd singularly look at one of ANU, MQ, and USyd.
Thanks a lot. It was very helpful.

Unfortunately, I have to think about my parents. I'd feel guity if I just leave.

I'm doing Italian in TAFE now coz my school doesn't offer it.
I'll try ANU then. I just want to get out of Sydney ASAP...

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
For the record I DONT live in Sydney and I DONT attend USYD

was only being suggestive :)

Seem like the other poster is slightly paranoid- didnt we get into Syd?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Cookie182 said:
For the record I DONT live in Sydney and I DONT attend USYD

was only being suggestive :)

Well...ANU is good- but languages r generally studied through a Bachelor of Arts (BA) and for that you really cant go past the University of Sydney- plus they have major international connections around the world. That is if you dont mind living in Sydney.
Its not being suggestive if its downright wrong?

X

xeuyrawp

Cookie182 said:
Maybe you should go to Sydney. May learn the meaning of the word 'paranoid'. And no, didn't get into Sydney because it wasn't my top preference. But good try though, and keep up with the whole English as second language thing - you're making marked improvements every time I read one of your posts.

By the way, wow at your UAI in your sig, we're all so impressed! Can you tell us how you got such a dazzling achievement? We're all dying to know. :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I believe it was through sheer hard work and a sharp intellect.

Lol.

Scorch

HSC
PwarYuex said:
By the way, wow at your UAI in your sig, we're all so impressed! Can you tell us how you got such a dazzling achievement? We're all dying to know. :)
lol

grow the fuck up

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Thanks for you valuable contribution to this thread, we appreciate your feedback and hope you may be able to add to further threads with the same vigor and eloquence.

Scorch

HSC
AsyLum said:
Thanks for you valuable contribution to this thread, we appreciate your feedback and hope you may be able to add to further threads with the same vigor and eloquence.
You are most welcome, and I would be more than pleased to contribute to the same unvarying degree in such a consistently eloquent manner every day, but I only have so much eloquence to spread around, and I simply cannot waste it all on such pearls of wisdom. :)

Oh, and it needed to be said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)