what is the difference if i drop 1 subject? (1 Viewer)

Serenaz

HSC
I wanna cross IPT out of my list next year coz i'm so exhausted with the teacher right now and people in class just don't let me study.
I'm wondering if there is drawback of doing only 5 subjects, instead of 6.
what do you think?

Takuto

HSC
i reck keep IPT, you don't even need a teacher to do well in that subject. just study ur textbook at home and regurgitate word by word in the exams.

definitely drop 1 subject though. 12 units is too much and if u think about it you will be doing a whole subject's assignments, tests, hsc for nothing.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Takuto said:
i reck keep IPT, you don't even need a teacher to do well in that subject. just study ur textbook at home and regurgitate word by word in the exams.

definitely drop 1 subject though. 12 units is too much and if u think about it you will be doing a whole subject's assignments, tests, hsc for nothing.
Well, doing 12 units is not totally pointless. Who knows? You may perform poorly in your one subject and it may bring your UAI down. Having 12 units is great in that situation.

Just make sure that your 10 units is the strongest suit so that you would not perform poorly in one that would potentially bring your UAI down.

Takuto

HSC
lyounamu said:
Well, doing 12 units is not totally pointless. Who knows? You may perform poorly in your one subject and it may bring your UAI down. Having 12 units is great in that situation.

Just make sure that your 10 units is the strongest suit so that you would not perform poorly in one that would potentially bring your UAI down.
time taken studying the extra subject is much better spent improving on all your other subjects. things are so much easier with that one less assignment, exam, etc. and more time to cram inbetween=D say the extra sub actually did come in handy, you replaced 1 unit. would it really be worth it? it would have a negligible effect since if u only had 10 units u would be able to do better in all of them and achieve the same result.

keep all 6 subjects until at least term 2 then u can decide

HSC
lol, depends on the person really.... i do 12 units and am not going to drop a subject - because i still don't know (and won't know) if i manage to do better in physics or chemistry... lol

Takuto

HSC
aussiechick007 said:
lol, depends on the person really.... i do 12 units and am not going to drop a subject - because i still don't know (and won't know) if i manage to do better in physics or chemistry... lol
haha true. though, im just trying to point out the difference in say, ur physics and chem wouldn't be that far apart, and if u took the time u spent throughout the year on the extra sub, u could easily have improve ur other subjects by 1-2 marks. the risk is worth it; u mite hvae gotten less in the sub u dropped anyway.

to each their own though. welps im out.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Takuto said:
time taken studying the extra subject is much better spent improving on all your other subjects. things are so much easier with that one less assignment, exam, etc. and more time to cram inbetween=D say the extra sub actually did come in handy, you replaced 1 unit. would it really be worth it? it would have a negligible effect since if u only had 10 units u would be able to do better in all of them and achieve the same result.

keep all 6 subjects until at least term 2 then u can decide
Well, you are right on that regards. However, I never said your point is misleading. I was just saying that having 12 units is not pointless. What happens if you get sick on the exam day suddenly and perform poorly in that (it's unlikely by the way) or what happens if you happened to have performed in that test even if you put in a lot of efffort?

I have heard countless cases where people unexpectedly had one subject taken into their UAI over their preferred subject. Having 10 units is great but there is disadvantage to it and that's why most of people have more than just 10 units.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
IPT is boringm just drop it. ha ha

Well, by dropping 1 sub, you have extra time spent on other subjects to ensure you come first in everything. If you're determined then 10 units are enough to maximize your marks. Keeping one subject that you don't like:

- adversely affect your motivation to study
- consume the time you can spend on other subs. Remember internal ranking is more important
- waste your time if it's likely to be the one that will NOT be counted in your UAI.

Despite the risk of slacking in other subjects, when you know you must do well in the rest 10uits, you won't rely on the extra one (if you keep it). i.e. you won't think: Oh damn, I do so crap in this one... that doesn't matter, I still have another one as a back-up. That sucks, you know?

To lyounamu: so far most of those I meet do only 10u!

Takuto

HSC
lyounamu said:
Well, you are right on that regards. However, I never said your point is misleading. I was just saying that having 12 units is not pointless. What happens if you get sick on the exam day suddenly and perform poorly in that (it's unlikely by the way) or what happens if you happened to have performed in that test even if you put in a lot of efffort?

I have heard countless cases where people unexpectedly had one subject taken into their UAI over their preferred subject. Having 10 units is great but there is disadvantage to it and that's why most of people have more than just 10 units.
I thought people could apply for misadventure in those cases. If not, that is just plain unfair. This scenario would be highly unlikely as you said anyway, and is a very stupid reason to be doing 12 units because of.

It is also highly unlikely that you will perform poorly if you put in a lot of effort. The HSC is designed such that it rewards those who consistently study, memorize and regurgitate material, or just those who are very good at cramming.

Like I said, if you had dropped the extra subject, you would have more time to spend on your 'preferred' subject anyway. Also, I doubt the difference if either subject had been counted would affect your UAI much. On the other hand, 1-2 marks in every subject would.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
She's doing HSC in 2010! Crap. Unless you're accelerated in everything, you have an adequate amount of time to think.

As expected, the solution for this sort of thread returns to: It depends on you after all. Think think think!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Without Wings said:
She is a prelim student - undertaking her hsc in 2009.
(a lot of members make mistakes with their hsc year in their profile).
How did you know???

Did you look at the date of birth? That's the only way I would guess.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
I'm pretty against having 12 units or more - unless you're accelerated. :p

I reckon 10 to 11 units during the HSC year is good. :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Continuum said:
I'm pretty against having 12 units or more - unless you're accelerated. :p

I reckon 10 to 11 units during the HSC year is good. :)
I will have 13 units excluding my accelerated subject. :cold:

I guess I will enjoy it. :cold:

Serenaz

HSC
lyounamu said:
How did you know???

Did you look at the date of birth? That's the only way I would guess.
Actually you couldn't tell by looking at the date of birth coz people born in 1991 & 1992 could both undertake the 2009 Hsc

Serenaz: What are your other subjects? Have you ensured you are still eligible for a UAI etc if you drop the subject (if you are interested in gaining a UAI etc).
.My other subjects are Maths 2 & 3 Units, Chemistry, Physics, Std English and Business Studies. I'm quite unsure coz apart from Std English :)jaw:), i believe i could carry out the rest without scathe...O_O

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Serenaz said:
Actually you couldn't tell by looking at the date of birth coz people born in 1991 & 1992 could both undertake the 2009 Hsc
But no one born in 1991 would be in Year 10 (unless you repeated). That's what I am saying.

Serenaz

HSC
I'm pretty against having 12 units or more - unless you're accelerated.

I reckon 10 to 11 units during the HSC year is good.
yeah i reckon ..concentrating on wat i'm truly good at is sustaintial. Besides, i don't have much positive feeling about IPT, which i just randomly picked up from the commencement of yr 11.
How about the marking scheme? is there any difference?

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
I don't think IPT is worth continuing. If you don't like it, and it doesn't scale well, there really isn't any point doing it.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Serenaz said:
yeah i reckon ..concentrating on wat i'm truly good at is sustaintial. Besides, i don't have much positive feeling about IPT, which i just randomly picked up from the commencement of yr 11.
How about the marking scheme? is there any difference?
What about marking scheme? It is fair all across the state so you don't need to worry about it.

If you are worried about being marked harshly, it doesn't matter as everyone will get marked in the same way.

Serenaz

HSC
so definitely i'll drop it to spare time & space for my dear Std English =.+!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)