What is the meaning of life? (1 Viewer)

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
amoz_lilo said:
the meaning of life is when you are alive, to question what is the meaning of life

there you go, there's your epiphany now rep me bitch.
nup, cos u didnt leave ur age and gender :)

<quote>
Originally Posted by banana_monkey
"Since using language limits you from truly expressing what you mean, isn't it pointless to bother trying to prove anything in the first place, since it's theorectically impossible in the first place? Structuralism is god.

Solution to the problem: Acts of extreme deviency

I heard it's been working great for Sodom. Wait..... "
</quote>

<couldn't work out how to use that quote button>
is that an answer :s...i didn't include it, i'm confused.no one is ever exactly right...otherwise there would only ever be one answer...how boring

Last edited:
K

katie_tully

Life has no meaning. Life is certain, death is inevitable. If there was any specific purpose to life, we wouldnt have been scratching our arses for the last 3000 years trying to work it out.
Some people use religion to justify our existance. We shouldn't need to justify our existance.

Female, 17.

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
42 is the result recieved when the hitchhikers (from 'a hitchhikers guide to the galaxy') ask their super duper all knowing computer what the meaning of life is.

K

katie_tully

the answer is

max

That which u feel becomes
HSC
We are being relied upon to continue the chain of civilisation..

Inevitably this chain will one day end. My guess is next saturday.

Nitro Boy

HSC
tWiStEdD said:
thank you for your input Nitro_boy.

what you have said will be treasured forever.
Your welcome Sir !!!!!!!!!

(I think I cut the discussion-flow , ssory folk )

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
To make your life and those of others as enjoyable as possible.

Male, 18.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
according to some cynical physicists, if an event is not observed it doesn't happen.

eg if a tree falls down in a forrest and no one ever hears, sees or feels its effect (or even tastes or smells i guess), then that tree didn't actually fall down.

So if there was a big empty universe and life never existed, then the universe would never actually have existed.

therefore, for anything to come into existence, life has to co-exist with it.
its a bit paradoxial.

therefore life exists, because the universe exists :)

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
i went to a lecture that was called' the purpose of life"
and "true sucess in life"
it was good...
is the purpose different to the meaning?
seems the same to me
but it was from a religous perspective..(islam)...

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
a good way to understand life, would be to understand death!

anybody?.................................... :)

everybody ( or every soul ) dies! u cant have life without death. coz death is a part of life.

so, the guy who put this thread up, i know ur writing this masterpiece on life and stuff i dunno about, why not include death innit!?

mr EaZy

HSC
gordo said:
according to some cynical physicists, if an event is not observed it doesn't happen.

eg if a tree falls down in a forrest and no one ever hears, sees or feels its effect (or even tastes or smells i guess), then that tree didn't actually fall down.

So if there was a big empty universe and life never existed, then the universe would never actually have existed.

therefore, for anything to come into existence, life has to co-exist with it.
its a bit paradoxial.

therefore life exists, because the universe exists :)

incredible! :D :uhhuh:

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
mr EaZy said:
a good way to understand life, would be to understand death!

anybody?.................................... :)

everybody ( or every soul ) dies! u cant have life without death. coz death is a part of life.

so, the guy who put this thread up, i know ur writing this masterpiece on life and stuff i dunno about, why not include death innit!?

I'm no guy :p. Lol, i'm not writing some masterpiece...i'm making an artistic masterpiece. Life and death- sounds like a bit of ying and yang.

Death would have to be a part of it anyway- in some form or another. Death as part of the life cycle- but who knows where it is in the cycle...the beginning or the end..."There is a beginning. There is no beginning of that no beginning. There is something. There is nothing. There is something before the beginning of something and nothing and something before that......."(Zhuangzi) And it goes on- so when you say I should inc. death- in what context do you mean? From a religious perspective, an annulment of life itself- absolute end to the meaning...how?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
fi babezy, i got a high mark for my actual majorwork.. tho it didn't get picked for art express, and trust me u don't need to go doing much research n shit, just write ur thoughts, come up with ideas, write alot of bullshit in ur art diary and make some pretty pictures.

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
I have done that already- im just meeting the requirements of assessment task :p, plus I find it interesting to see other ppl's ideas from a non-arty way.

alien

HSC
an existentialist viewpoint is just one way to view the meaning of life. it you want to be weirded out look at it from a freudian view lol.

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
yeh, i'm trudging my way through my sister's first yr phil. notes....but it would be cool if i could go to a short course on philosophy at some stage

mr EaZy

HSC
ok fi beazy

i reckon its possible to look at life this way:

we're not angels, we're not animals :) (no duh!) (lets forget about plants (for now))
we're humans right!

all three entities above have access to the thing which u referred to as "life"

taking a somewhat religious perspective here:
angels do nothing but worship god. Animals do nothing at all (well almost)
we humans have a choice to make: that is where we want to stand inbetween the class of angels and the class of animals

so when u look around, people have chosen their purpose in life in difffernet forms : some chose to be monks/priests and ttried to live life like angels (something like that)
(ofcourse, u really cant be angels coz they dont eat!)

others choose to live life similar to that of party animals :)

and there's a m,illion and one ways to live life between the extremes

so if u have thisgift of life: USE IT!!
but choose the way u wish to use it. from the way u choose to control ur spirit, to the way u behave and to the way u do -watever it is u do!

its ur choice, u can research how to get the best of life, how to have all wat u want and have fun! only by learning about urself and ur world can u best know how to live life to the fullest (im not sure if im 100% on this part)

well, watever!
u only get one shot at life - USE IT!

mr EaZy

HSC
hmmmm.......i didnt actually say what the purpose of life was did i? ill leave it blank for others to figure it out :)

why is it important to know the purpose btw?
this is it

if u dont know what the purpose of a hammer is, and u use it for the wrong thing, u could injure urself. u use it in the right way and u get the job done in the quickest time possible

my little bro used an areosol can as a hammer once. the dents in the can were so deep was was thinkin- when it was going to pop!!

-so if u dont use life in the correct way, u could get some mental probs no doubt,
many nihlists i heard are also anarchists- but thats a different story
use life in the best way and u get the most satisfaction and happiness from it.

look at the many purposes of life, listed above. ask urself which ones do not lead to self fulfillment, and cross them out- they obviously aren't it!!

my two cents- gimme some reps people!!! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)