What is the most godawfully bad book you have ever read? (1 Viewer)

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
The spy who came in from the cold. that book sucks.

btw, LEAMAS CAN SUCK MY HAIRY COCK

misbahf

You eat bugs.
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
:eek: what?! no no no... to kill a mockingbird is a fabulous book.
I agree, I loved To Kill a Mocking Bird.

What I do not love is The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.

I read the first couple of chapter then died...literally.

It went a something like this: Man is walking, finds turtle, walks some more, finds another man, they eat a rabbit.

J

jhakka

After this year I only have to do one more history unit (ancient) to meet requirements. Will probably do that in fifth year.

Don't know what English I'll do in sem 1.

J

jhakka

Majoring in English. As far as I know to be qualified to teach History you have to at least do four units of it, and one has to be Aussie and one has to be Ancient. Sucks that I didn't bother to find that out last year. I'm just wasting a unit now.

J

jhakka

Malfoy said:
So I only have to do 4 senior units of English? Woot! (Minoring in English; only doing it due to the scholarship and not because I truly want to teach it)

I have to do Australian history? Oh geez... I hope there's something that's a) political in nature b) not completely biased and c) not bleeding heart.

Any recommendations?
I'm doing Race Relations and Australian Frontiers this semester, and it's not too bad. It's a little bit bleeding heart with the Aboriginal stuff, but there's a lot of interesting stuff on the Chinese, and a bit of cool stuff on black Americans in WW2.

I never liked Australian stuff, but this isn't too bad.

w00dy.

HSC
i must say; so far one of the most boring books ive read so far would have to be

prep by curtis sittenfeld

tooo much over writing. there was soo much that could have been left out of that book that would have made it a little less boring.

extremly monotonous

walrusbear

HSC
jhakka said:
Majoring in English.
heya

which units have you done so far??
favs??
i'll get my major at the end of this semester (also doing some more next year for interest sake)

J

jhakka

Have done Literary Mythologies, Inventing Modernity, British Romantic Literature, and Postmodernism.

I've not had much luck with English, but I think the unit with the best texts was Lit Myth. British Romantic Lit was pretty good too. :)

What is it with the English department and generally having shit units? :(

walrusbear

HSC
heh
people always say that but i quite like them :p
i've loved postmodernism so far but many in my class don't
it's probably been the most structured, which is an advantage, but i'm interested in the texts/era in general
i found inventing modernity ok, a handful of good texts, but too broad and unfocused to be memorable.
i haven't studied those other two

i found literature and cinema to be unenlightening. apart from reading a few new books i don't remember learning anything that wasn't touched already in high school english (ooo genre! intertextuality!).
literature and politics was ok, but i wasn't a model student. i probably only read a little over half of the novels (it has a lot of texts).
modernism has brilliant texts but has NO structure and it feels like you're only just becoming familiar with some good material when you have to move on. doesn't have enough formal theory explained at the start either.
and if you're considering honours, be warned that the 'pre-honours' subjects lick balls in a horrible way :(

oh yeah, and language and image is the devil
fiction, film and power is so so

ChaosTheory V2

HSC
I Can Jump Puddles
Sorry people who liked this but I had to read this in year 7 for a book assigment and I really really disliked it!

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
LottoX said:
Z for Zachariah had to be the worst. I couldn't even spell the title in Year 8.
Post-apocalyptic stories have always held a sort of charm to me, and Z for Zachariah is excellent because evokes the sheer sense of the world falling apart and the survivor(s) desperately clinging on to life.

The fact you mention your inability to spell Zachariah does not do wonders for the opinions of others towards you.

So as for this post to be not completely useless, I remember reading a crappier post-apoc fantasy novel some time ago. I have vague recollections of psychic kids at some exile academy, white death radiation, and an incredibly overt 'future of this world if we stop being luddites' theme.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I'm sure I've said this before, but the most godawfully bad book I've yet read was Middlemarch, by George Eliot.

My god, 800 pages of moaning about bad marriages.

Sandraxx

HSC
In my opinion, it HAS to go to "The Bride Stripped Bare" by Nikki Glemmel.

the narrative (although impressively disguised under the second person voice) was a labour, the plot terrible and the text contains the worst published sentence i've ever read - somehow she manages to compare her lover's body to a dead lizard.

i really disliked it, completely overrated.

J

jhakka

walrusbear said:
heh
people always say that but i quite like them :p
i've loved postmodernism so far but many in my class don't
it's probably been the most structured, which is an advantage, but i'm interested in the texts/era in general
i found inventing modernity ok, a handful of good texts, but too broad and unfocused to be memorable.
i haven't studied those other two

i found literature and cinema to be unenlightening. apart from reading a few new books i don't remember learning anything that wasn't touched already in high school english (ooo genre! intertextuality!).
literature and politics was ok, but i wasn't a model student. i probably only read a little over half of the novels (it has a lot of texts).
modernism has brilliant texts but has NO structure and it feels like you're only just becoming familiar with some good material when you have to move on. doesn't have enough formal theory explained at the start either.
and if you're considering honours, be warned that the 'pre-honours' subjects lick balls in a horrible way :(

oh yeah, and language and image is the devil
fiction, film and power is so so
Sorry for the late reply...

I didn't mind Postmodernism if only for the fact that there is no formal exam. As it stands, I'm distinctioning after having attended about 1/4 of the lectures, only done the readings necessary to the assessment and generally having no idea of what's going on. I must be doing something right. The lectures I've been to have been interesting, if a bit too fast paced at times. They assume a lot more than they should about our pre-knowledge at times, and the tutes can be murder when no one contributes.

Photo essay was fun though. Pain in the bum that it's due tomorrow (two hours of travel there and back for half an hour max at uni), but hey... no exam. :)

I'm not even considering honours. The joy of the B Ed/B Arts degree is that it's not really an option for me. ;)

walrusbear

HSC
ach
am just starting my postmodernism essay now :(
2000 words to go
it's going to be a late night

J

jhakka

Haha, ouch.

2000 isn't too bad. After a month straight of 2000 word minimum assignments, it seems pretty natural now.

What question are you doing?

walrusbear

HSC
baudrillard
mass media

am still sorting this about
400 words down

and yeah 2000 words is not too bad at all

Legham

HSC
Pride and Prejudice definetely.. even though i didnt read it.. they tried to make us read it! I spent literally an hour trying to read the first page and still failed cause it was that boring.. our lessons are 1 hour long, and we read for the whole lesson and there wasn't even distractions going on in the room to distract me from it.. it waslike torture!! AGH. I don't think i ever opened it up again after that.. thank god there was a movie for that book..

thesweeneycrew

HSC
Emma was by far the worst book I have ever read, and does not belong in the literary cannon within a modern context. It is completely irrelevant in any transformation, all of which don’t work. It is slow, Victorian version of big brother. I really wish Jane Austin was alive, so I could kill her.

Everyone time a girl in my class stated a love for Austin, or excitement or interest at any part of the novel "OMG Mr Knightly is SOOO AWESOME" a murderous rage developed in my loins, and made me feel like throwing up of raw, pretentious hatred.

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)