What is the new 2024 curriculum (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Original Poster said:
Is going to change the sciences as well?!
The 2024 NSW Curriculum Reform seems to target English and Mathematics more specifically, science not so much. The new curriculum will:
  • build strong foundations in literacy and numeracy with new English and mathematics syllabuses for Kindergarten to Year 12.
  • better prepare Year 11 and 12 students for future work and study with new learning areas and career pathways.

Regarding Stage 6 English, prescriptions (i.e. modules, electives and texts) will be changed in 2024, with 2023 being the last year in which the current modules (which started in 2019) will run.

I hope this helps! :D

yanujw

HSC
The new stage 5 electives look so weird (I listed them below). Like, which faculty does 'philosophy' or 'critical thinking' come under. There's going to be a lot of new staff training I'm guessing.
  • Big History
  • Critical Thinking
  • International Studies
  • iSTEM
  • Outdoor education
  • Philosophy
  • Psychology
RIP Commerce, one of my fav Y9 and 10 subjects.

kkk579

hello
HSC
The new stage 5 electives look so weird (I listed them below). Like, which faculty does 'philosophy' or 'critical thinking' come under. There's going to be a lot of new staff training I'm guessing.
  • Big History
  • Critical Thinking
  • International Studies
  • iSTEM
  • Outdoor education
  • Philosophy
  • Psychology
My Hs actually already runs philosophy and I think mac fields has psychology. They put philosophy under HSIE I think

kkk579

hello
HSC
the frick is Big History.
Big History students examine the history of the universe from the 'big bang' to the modern day, and explore the themes and patterns that can help them better understand the world they live in. The course develops students' ability to synthesise complex information and conduct research through lines of inquiry and projects within an interdisciplinary framework.
That’s what it says on the website

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Also, why does NESA always feel the need to change up the syllabus. Just keep it constant ffs. There was nothing wrong with the old maths syllabus why change it. Old people higher up just want to feel like they're doing something I guess.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
The 2024 NSW Curriculum Reform seems to target English and Mathematics more specifically, science not so much. The new curriculum will:
  • build strong foundations in literacy and numeracy with new English and mathematics syllabuses for Kindergarten to Year 12.
  • better prepare Year 11 and 12 students for future work and study with new learning areas and career pathways.

Regarding Stage 6 English, prescriptions (i.e. modules, electives and texts) will be changed in 2024, with 2023 being the last year in which the current modules (which started in 2019) will run.

I hope this helps! :D
They change English curriculum every 5 years so not surprising.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
  • Big History
  • Critical Thinking
  • International Studies
  • iSTEM
  • Outdoor education
  • Philosophy
  • Psychology
Its only for SDBECs that are affected. Mainly private schools that run like their own subjects e.g. religious classes will be affected.

Interesting you can now major in secular humanism/atheism if you take all these new electives :p

Expecting backlash from private schools though.

yanujw

HSC
Also, why does NESA always feel the need to change up the syllabus. Just keep it constant ffs. There was nothing wrong with the old maths syllabus why change it. Old people higher up just want to feel like they're doing something I guess.
Seriously this. We've barely accumulated past papers to the 'new' (2020 hsc) math syllabus and at some point in a few years it's going to be useless.

HSC
Thank goodness I am graduating in 2023 then. I really do not want to go through the hell that is no past papers

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Hopefully this means no more looking at useless English texts and instead using the subject to develop life skills.
No more looking at useless English texts and instead developing actual life skills?

Thats... not even imaginable. Like, even in the possibility of a multi-verse, that has to be one thing that remains constant and never changes.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
lol the recent HSC syllabus update was the first major change in 20 years...

specificagent1

HSC
The new math syllabuses are more reflective of university maths. stuff like circle geo was incredibly outdated and obscure

kkk579

hello
HSC
what r ppls thoughts on commerce and information and software tech?? i chose it as my electives but idk if it’s hard or not. i rlly needa get good marks so i can make it into fort street. i was never rlly good at coding or programming and stuff, neither did i have much interest in it. i just did it coz my mum told me to, im scared i might flunk it.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
what r ppls thoughts on commerce and information and software tech?? i chose it as my electives but idk if it’s hard or not. i rlly needa get good marks so i can make it into fort street. i was never rlly good at coding or programming and stuff, neither did i have much interest in it. i just did it coz my mum told me to, im scared i might flunk it.

That was actually my combination for Year 10. Its really easy to get marks in both subjects and there is definitely overlap when you do Commerce and a HSIE subject in Year 11. I learnt about economics last term of commerce and when I did my first economics exam, it was super easy due to the stuff we learnt in commerce. IST on the other hand doesn't really have overlap if you're planning to do IPT, and I never used the content there for IPT at all if I remember correctly. For SDD and other tech subjects, you have to ask someone else.

Assuming you are determined and you enjoyed HSIE, it should be relatively easy to get 90-100 for these subjects since its just mainly rote learning and how good you are at memorising; can you develop notes, flashcards, nmemonics etc. Its a fun subject as well so the whole "memorising" shouldn't be a pain. Research tasks were personally my strength in junior years so the commerce research tasks did not feel as painful as my friends felt like, once again its just how I felt, I'm sure there are many students who feel otherwise.

Also for IST our class didn't really do programming, it was more excel sheets and databases which honestly sucked because no one likes staying up to 2 am in the morning trying to input data into an excel sheet; that was just my experience and I'm not sure for everyone else, if you were lucky enough to do some coding then I envy you. The only memorable part of the subject was when we flew drones but other than that it was ehh whatever. I enjoyed commerce a lot though, my best subject in year 10, was very easy and enjoyable because you would learn about different topics mainly legal and business but if you're lucky you would get to tap into economics possibly.

Last edited:

kkk579

hello
HSC
That was actually my combination for Year 10. Its really easy to get marks in both subjects and there is definitely overlap when you do Commerce and a HSIE subject in Year 11. I learnt about economics last term of commerce and when I did my first economics exam, it was super easy due to the stuff we learnt in commerce. IST on the other hand doesn't really have overlap if you're planning to do IPT, and I never used the content there for IPT at all if I remember correctly. For SDD and other tech subjects, you have to ask someone else.

Considering you are determined, it should be really easy to get 98-100 for these subjects since its just mainly rote learning. Also for IST our class didn't really do programming, it was more excel sheets and databases which honestly sucked because no one likes staying up to 2 am in the morning trying to input data into an excel sheet. I enjoyed commerce a lot though, my best subject in year 10, was very easy and enjoyable because you would learn about different topics mainly legal and business but if you're lucky you would get to tap into economics possibly.
oh okay thanks

kkk579

hello
HSC
how would i get 95+ in geography and history?? i’m asking for next year coz it’s mandatory to do them both and i take absolutely no interest in either of them, ESPECIALLY GEOGRAPHY. what r some tips to make sure i can ace them??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)