What is the new 2024 curriculum (1 Viewer)

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
math syllabus is aligned with uni math for courses like engineering and comp sci and stuff. Aint no body need circle geo in comp sci or something like that
You can find some circle geo properties in current 4u. Conics got removed from 4u and I think it’s pretty necessary for engineering courses.

specificagent1

HSC
You can find some circle geo properties in current 4u. Conics got removed from 4u and I think it’s pretty necessary for engineering courses.
yep but engineering isnt the only thing they are considering. And also consider that less people do extension maths then just normal 2u. so understand what they were thinkinng

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
yep but engineering isnt the only thing they are considering. And also consider that less people do extension maths then just normal 2u. so understand what they were thinkinng
True but the issue lies with them changing it again now…

Gryffindor

HSC
Also psychology has an issue because who can teach it? it's like engineering studies... no engineer would teach it. no psychologist would teach this because they can work in industry and get paid 6 figures
Engineering studies is already a HSC subject and in Victoria, they offer psychology as a year 11 and 12 subject, and so I'm sure there's qualified teachers available to teach the subjects.

specificagent1

HSC
Engineering studies is already a HSC subject and in Victoria, they offer psychology as a year 11 and 12 subject, and so I'm sure there's qualified teachers available to teach the subjects.
engineering studies follows two cases:

- school doesnt run it
- or taught poorly

Gryffindor

HSC
engineering studies follows two cases:

- school doesnt run it
- or taught poorly
True, I guess it depends on the school. I know several teachers at my school that would be great at teaching engineering studies if it were offered as an elective. Same goes for psychology, I would pick it up in a heartbeat if it were offered in senior years like Victoria.

dasfas

HSC
The new math syllabuses are more reflective of university maths. stuff like circle geo was incredibly outdated and obscure
That is not necessarily better - circle geo was unique and probably the only exposure people would get to for a long while

specificagent1

HSC
That is not necessarily better - circle geo was unique and probably the only exposure people would get to for a long while
you just proved that it is obsolete and hence not needed. NESA didnt want to be teaching just for the sake of teaching

dasfas

HSC
you just proved that it is obsolete and hence not needed. NESA didnt want to be teaching just for the sake of teaching
Obsolete according to who? Just because it is taught/isn't taught at uni does not mean it is inherently better or more valuable.

specificagent1

HSC
Obsolete according to who? Just because it is taught/isn't taught at uni does not mean it is inherently better or more valuable.
well according to your logic, we should teach everything because they all have their unique value

dasfas

HSC
well according to your logic, we should teach everything because they all have their unique value
Absolutely. Obviously there isn't time for everything, but circle geo was an introduction at an area of maths that isn't covered at uni, yet was valuable in its own right because of the new insights and skills it was able to teach. It's a shame that the syllabus has moved to something that is basically watered down first year - ultimately you are better prepared for uni, sure, but you lose out on overall mathematical development imo.

specificagent1

HSC
Absolutely. Obviously there isn't time for everything, but circle geo was an introduction at an area of maths that isn't covered at uni, yet was valuable in its own right because of the new insights and skills it was able to teach. It's a shame that the syllabus has moved to something that is basically watered down first year - ultimately you are better prepared for uni, sure, but you lose out on overall mathematical development imo.
is the point of school not to prepare you for uni? assuming you are pursuing the hsc

dasfas

HSC
is the point of school not to prepare you for uni? assuming you are pursuing the hsc
Absolutely not.

The HSC skews your perception of education as the entire year becomes focused around a single number. But school is so much more than that: it is about character development, becoming more mature, developing leadership qualities etc..

With regards to academics, school is also more than just marks. There's a reason why the system of a liberal arts education is still championed. Learning does not have to be a means to a specific ends - learning for the sake of learning is still valuable. The world would be rather dull if school and uni was solely to prepare you for work, rather than for nurturing and developing the mind.

Granted I did go to a school that prides itself on its liberal education, so I am definitely biased, but I think this is an important way learn to to view education.

Ultimately, as with most things in life, a balance of both learning for learnings sake, and learning for future job skills, is important.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
There's got to be a good reason why it didn't change for 20 years prior am I right? The old syllabus was tougher and personally I think the topics flowed pretty nicely with each other.
There has been an urge to change it for a while. There was an initial attempt to change the Maths syllabus back in 2014-2015, well before this one came into effect. You can see what they had proposed back then (Maths Ext2 in particular was originally intended to be far more jam-packed in content):

There are also some old threads on this:

It took a lot of consultation to land at this syllabus today. You also have to remember that this change in the Maths syllabus is actually part of a broader syllabus change across other subjects including English, Science and History.

Personally, I think it is much better (of course there is room for improvement, particularly in terms of how it is written) because of the emphasis on applied maths. The introduction of vectors and stats in particular adds a lot of value in preparing you for uni. Obviously, those who prefer pure maths would hate it because this came at the expense of removing some pure maths topics such as geometry and conics.

As for the sciences, I would also agree with many others that the current syllabus is far better than it was before. A huge complaint that has been bubbling ever since the beginning was that there was too much emphasis on society/history at the expense of deeper theoretical knowledge. This has often meant that students can be good at the subject without really understanding the concepts, and then get a rude shock when they touch the real science at uni. This feedback never really had a chance to be heard until there was a broader syllabus reform.

The HSC skews your perception of education as the entire year becomes focused around a single number. But school is so much more than that: it is about character development, becoming more mature, developing leadership qualities etc..

With regards to academics, school is also more than just marks. There's a reason why the system of a liberal arts education is still championed. Learning does not have to be a means to a specific ends - learning for the sake of learning is still valuable. The world would be rather dull if school and uni was solely to prepare you for work, rather than for nurturing and developing the mind.

Granted I did go to a school that prides itself on its liberal education, so I am definitely biased, but I think this is an important way learn to to view education.

Ultimately, as with most things in life, a balance of both learning for learnings sake, and learning for future job skills, is important.
This is why Maths Ext2 exists. It is supposed to cater for those with an academic interest in Maths, whereas the lower level courses lean more heavily towards application.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)