What is the square root of 9? (1 Viewer)

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
I'm having trouble mapping out the difference between principal (positive) square roots and... square roots.
E.g. The principal square root of 9 = 3, however -3,3 are square roots of 9. CONFUSING?
I was messing around with equations in my head when i stumbled upon root (x^2) = +-x then i wondered root (3^2) = +- 3?
Say the question was to solve root 9, do i answer +- 3 or just 3? How do I know if they're referring to the principal or normal square root!?

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
You use the plus minus sign whenever you square root a number?

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
Yeah I don't think you understood my whole dilemma...

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
I know...I was going to edit that in lol...I'll just back away from the maths forum...

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
I'll answer this to the best of my knowledge

Principal square root or positive square root is as its name suggests the positive number which when squared gets that new number.
When you do complex numbers, there will be a question saying: 'Find the square roots of 5+2i', there is no concept of positive and negative in complex numbers so there are 2 answers.

If they ask you to simplify:

We take the positive square root.

The difference between this and solving an equation like

The difference here is that we are being asked for what values of x satisfies this equation
x=3, and x=-3 satisfy this equation because:

So we have 2 solutions, just like we have 2 solutions for:

x=1 is a solution, so is x=2 so they are both solutions since the equation, much like 3,-3 is the solution of x^2 = 9

Hope that helped

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
Yes that cleared a lot up :) Thank you! I don't know why I always find myself questioning these types of things :p

braintic

HSC
N/A
BTW, I believe the main reason for taking only the positive square root is so that y=sqrt(x) can be defined as a FUNCTION.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)