What is unique about UNSW Medicine? (1 Viewer)

latania

HSC
gman03 said:
so what have you concluded from your research? roughtly how different are the medicine courses between different universities?
well clearly from some helpful people from the other forum...this is all I know that is unique to UNSW so far: the SBL which they developed themselves and the 1st/2nd year vertical integration (But I still wouldn't know what the benefits of 1st and 2nd years learning together... :p) haha I'm getting my notes out at the moment..um..I actually emailed all the medical universities to send me info on their medical teaching programs!! so much reading to get through...
oh what I think is also good about UNSW..this is probably not such a big deal to most people..but I actually like the fact that the med course has 12 credit points of gen eds! (yes I finally learnt what "Gen eds" are!!) 'cause then you can balance all the subjects out...(and I'll be able to take International Studies :p)

ok...certainly I reckon that UNSW is a lot more clinical-based?? lots more independent learning and not as much spoon-feeding ("uh oh" in my case)
oh yeah...from what other people said in the other forum..a huge emphasis on groupwork..which may be the reason for 1st/2nd year vertical integration thingy....

hahhaha in response to the UNSW being the only med school that teaches its course in Asian...when I first read it, I thought "Oh, REALLY??!!!" hahaha...well I was told by a teacher that she was invited to one of a UNSW Med formal dinner or something..and the Dean of Medicine actually said that "UNSW Med positively discriminates against Asians" in their selection...

anyways..not stressed at all about the UMAT for some strange reason :p

oh and LOL...dictation test, aye?? hmm...well I know minimal amounts of European languages..Italian, Spanish, French..(enough for a tourist anyway!)

Last edited:
HSC
latania said:
uh yeah Slide Rule made a very good point...
..but if you don't have nothing nice to say, then the simple solution is not to post =)

care to explain the logic and line to that conclusion.

although ill throw you a freebie that is definetly worth dropping if you get an interview. not only is there integration with the 2nd years but integration with the 4th years, which were trained on the older and superior (but dont say that) course. As such there will be a disparity in experience and as such parallels the situation in the real world with individual levels of knowlede. IE makes you work in a team.

best of luck either way.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
latania said:
well I was told by a teacher that she was invited to one of a UNSW Med formal dinner or something..and the Dean of Medicine actually said that "UNSW Med positively discriminates against Asians" in their selection...
Err sure lol. That doesn't seem to be right.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
RageAgainstBOS said:
care to explain the logic and line to that conclusion.

although ill throw you a freebie that is definetly worth dropping if you get an interview. not only is there integration with the 2nd years but integration with the 4th years, which were trained on the older and superior (but dont say that) course. As such there will be a disparity in experience and as such parallels the situation in the real world with individual levels of knowlede. IE makes you work in a team.

best of luck either way.
I was under the impression that only this year's 2nd years will be integrated at any stage with any of the old course years...

HSC
mervvyn said:
I was under the impression that only this year's 2nd years will be integrated at any stage with any of the old course years...
well its probably changed 3000 times since they told us last year...but we got told itll be this years 3rd years and the kids getting into med in 06....

not that it matters they would have a roughly equal level of knowledge...according to the grumpy ghosts of the old med course (murray campbell, prof carmondy, prof freedman et al...)

is a roflcopter
HSC
Curry said:
. She just wan't to know why she should choose UNSW.
you cant chose UNSW Med
UNSW Med choses you :D

latania

HSC
Indeed

(however...if you do get multiple offers?? but that'll come later..)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)