What is your motivation? (1 Viewer)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
My motivation is a very sadistic approach, think of everyone who is sitting in the same exam as people who are competing with you as enemies, of course treating your friends with less hostility.

Unless you are guaranteed to live for the next 30 or so years with decent cash and living, backing down in any HSC exam from now on will allow other students to earn a high UAI and lower yours. Any slight performance mishap can send you in jeopardy, such as being unable to have a good result to get into uni.

TAFE is shit, don't waste time at TAFE before going into uni, make sure you go straight to uni after the HSC, unless you are physically strong and want to be a carpenter (Carpenter @ $100,000/year comapred to Lawyer @ $75,000/year, trades are in a shortage, if figures are incorrect, you get the idea.) you must be good academically. You must stand up and fight i.e study hard by knowing your texts and practice. Practice makes perfect, it worked for me.

Do not go out at all during school time (e.g Beach or City), leave this all to the holidays where you can do fuck all then.

You must think of the exam as the survival of the most academically fit. Using this motivation I revise my texts throroughly and now I reign in the Top 10 in English Standard ... *thunderstorm*.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
f3nr15 said:
My motivation is a very sadistic approach, think of everyone who is sitting in the same exam as people who are competing with you as enemies, of course treating your friends with less hostility.
"The School's Expectation of HSC Students" point 24:
Do not view the assessment system as making everyone else in this school your competitor or enemy. You will all do better by sharing resources and ideas, and helping each other.
My school's explicitly telling us to be friends with each other ;) Somehow the fact that they have to put it in writing formally as part of a "Do-This-And-Do-That" statement seems quite sad to me :eek:

kloudsurfer

HSC
So this is what happened to me today.

Me - 'Oh so your doing 4U english? Do you like English or something?'
Random New chick 'Oh not really, im just EXTREMELY GOOD at it.'

Seriously, who says that?!??!?!? Ooooh, look at me, im EXTREMELY GOOD at english. Not even just good, but EXTREMELY GOOD. I dont care how good you are, unless you are one of those super genius 12 yr olds in university, you are not allowed to say that, that is just totally up yourself.

So my motavation in english is to beat her.
Yep, competition is good. Oh yeah, and I still wanna become a doctor and save children in third world countries, but thats not as important lol :)

Ok my rant is over. Just cant get over that...

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
airie said:
"The School's Expectation of HSC Students" point 24:
Do not view the assessment system as making everyone else in this school your competitor or enemy. You will all do better by sharing resources and ideas, and helping each other.
My school's explicitly telling us to be friends with each other ;) Somehow the fact that they have to put it in writing formally as part of a "Do-This-And-Do-That" statement seems quite sad to me :eek:
They told us that in some meeting we had on Wednesday :eek:

maskd

HSC
Thankfully I got early entry into University of Wollongong, so the stress and burden of the HSC is off my shoulders.

I really want to go well though, and at least score a UAI that would get me into the degree I was offered a place for, I just want to prove to myself that I AM smart.

Of course due to getting early entry, my attitude is that of overwhelming cofidence, I'm hoping that my positive attitude is going to rub off on others. I hate the people that after every exam/during whole HSC say things like "Oh yeah I went so crap, I'm going to fail", when in reality, you probably went better than you thought.

So get a positive attitude, you CAN beat the HSC, it has nothing on you.

maskd

HSC
Gangles.McGee said:
:)

I'll never have a positive attitude, I CAN'T beat the HSC, because it does have something for me.

:worried:
Haha be honest with yourself, the HSC is just a group of tests that are designed to put a stupid amount of pressure on 17 and 18 year olds, they in no way measure anything to do with life. There are many other ways to get where you want to go.

kloudsurfer

HSC
Gangles.McGee said:
I think you're taking what this girl said a wee bit into yer heart.
Just stay focused on your work and produce the best that you can.

I really wonder why people are not allowed to openly say they're good at something, apart from the fact that it seems snobby and all.
But... Just, whatever.
Yeah, your probably right. Maybe I just feel threatened by her tallness (i used to be the tallest girl in the yr until she came along :bomb:)

Seriously though, i just dislike her general attitude. She just comes across as too cocky.

'He is a fool who cannot conceal his wisdom'. - Ben Franklin

but then again,

'There is nothing noble about being superior to another man. The true nobility is being superior to your former self.' Hindi Proverb

Nothing wrong with a little bit of competition.
I dont normally talk in proverbs, its just that I just found my notebook of inspiring and motavating quotes I made after feeling inspired by the young leaders conference (the inspiration lasted like a day lol). Who woulda thought, proverbs and quotes actually apply to everyday life? :)

'The harder the path, the more fruitful the journey.' - Unknown
Ok, ill get of my pedestal now.

maskd

HSC
Gangles.McGee said:
I'm terrified of the HSC and usually have a negative outlook on things even though I try to leave motivating posts in these threads.
To me, the HSC is pretty big. I wouldn't be thinking the same if my sister hadn't received a high UAI, which has pushed my dad especially to ensure I do well.
Its not the actual HSC that places pressure on so many people, its expectations and being able to live up to them. And thats what I'm afraid of not being able to do
I was/am in a similar situation as you, my brother recieved a rather high UAI (95.5), and even though my parents never voiced their opinions, I could tell that they wanted me to achieve similar. I never really let them get to me, because I know that I'm the person who choses my destiny, not them, it's my choice to do as much or little work during the course of the year, not theirs.

Don't worry what your dad thinks, and if he is disappointed that you don't achieve the result he expected, well I hate to say it bluntly, but fuck him. If he's not happy that you tried your best well he needs to rethink himself in my opinion.

I know it's like said like a broken record, but achieve to try your best, and if you come out of the exams knowing you tried your all and dont recieve the results you wanted then you know that memorising a lot of information and regurgitating it in various forms isn't your strong point, and that one of the other methods to get into university may be your best bet.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
maskd said:
I was/am in a similar situation as you, my brother recieved a rather high UAI (95.5), and even though my parents never voiced their opinions, I could tell that they wanted me to achieve similar. I never really let them get to me, because I know that I'm the person who choses my destiny, not them, it's my choice to do as much or little work during the course of the year, not theirs.

Don't worry what your dad thinks, and if he is disappointed that you don't achieve the result he expected, well I hate to say it bluntly, but fuck him. If he's not happy that you tried your best well he needs to rethink himself in my opinion.

I know it's like said like a broken record, but achieve to try your best, and if you come out of the exams knowing you tried your all and dont recieve the results you wanted then you know that memorising a lot of information and regurgitating it in various forms isn't your strong point, and that one of the other methods to get into university may be your best bet.
My dad teling me off won't help very much with me getting through the HSC

kloudsurfer

HSC
Gangles.McGee said:
LOL.
I understand how you feel about being the tallest.

And lol at your proverbs.
Its ok dear, everything will be fine! Just buy yourself a pair of 3 inch school shoes and then you'll be back on top!
Hmmmm...I think you're onto something with the shoes....:D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)