• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What is your motivation? (1 Viewer)

*emi*

HSC
Hahaha well i know i'm motivated by wanting to beat this girl at my school in maths ex 1- except she is freakishly good at maths. Rather annoying.
Also - as lame as it sounds- i have a star chart and whenever i do a good hour of study (i.e. NO MSN!!!) then i get a sticker, 20 stickers and i buy myself a CD - and i'm not allowed to buy any cds any other time
I love my music so it really works for me..

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
*emi* said:
Also - as lame as it sounds- i have a star chart and whenever i do a good hour of study (i.e. NO MSN!!!) then i get a sticker, 20 stickers and i buy myself a CD - and i'm not allowed to buy any cds any other time
I love my music so it really works for me..
OMG, that's not lame, that's a seriously good idea! Can I steal it please? :)

*emi*

HSC
HAHA yeh sure :D me and my friend came up with the idea so we wouldnt fail maths... eurgh ex 1 maths is sooo boring!! Another thing that motivates me is going to the state library - everyone is working really hard, like all the uni students, so you feel as though you should be working haha!! Plus it feels like you've had a day out, especially if you go with friends. And also if you're lucky there are hot uni guys there LOL!!! :p :p :p

-Em xx

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
*emi* said:
HAHA yeh sure :D me and my friend came up with the idea so we wouldnt fail maths... eurgh ex 1 maths is sooo boring!! Another thing that motivates me is going to the state library - everyone is working really hard, like all the uni students, so you feel as though you should be working haha!! Plus it feels like you've had a day out, especially if you go with friends. And also if you're lucky there are hot uni guys there LOL!!! :p :p :p

-Em xx
Yeah, I agree about Ext 1 Maths, I used to love Maths though :( . I'm slowly starting to enjoy it again, it was a real kick up the behind failing Ext in the first assessment! Then for the second assessment, I was already feeling stressed, and about half way through the exam I started to freak out, and I forgot how to do everything and I started crying and everyone was all concerned and it was so embarrassing. God, I'm an idiot. So I told people I failed and that they were going to kick me out of Ext and I cried all day. (It was a very emotional-ahem- time of the month, OK! lol!) Then, somehow, I was one of the few who passed, apparently it was a very difficult exam. So I guess if I work harder I can get good marks.
OK, I actually have no idea why I just rambled on like that! Sorry!

Anyway, failure definately motivates me to work harder. I do wish that it didn't have to get to that point, though.

*emi*

HSC
haha well i've never really liked maths, just good at it so decided to do ex 1 this year! I love some aspects, like i get really excited when i fully understand something, and i love thereotical maths its brilliant!! And sketching really really really long polynomials.. ahh fun hehe :p
But i hate my teacher- my class arnt the brightest girls in the world so my teacher just doesnt teach us the harder stuff!!! it is SOO ANNOYING!!
But failing is pretty good motivation :p - but good not to resort to that haha!!

-em xx

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
*emi* said:

-Em xx
I go to the state library it sux when you can get a table and filling in slips to get books GRRR!!! I use Usyd Fisher and Badham library once a week for Biology Olympiad NQE and Modern History, seeing all the uni students motivates me, also puts me down sometimes > i've gotta look forwards for 9 years of uni and studying in my spare time. And also if you're lucky there are hot uni chicks there LOL!!! :p :p :p

*emi*

HSC
Hahaha yeh its the uni students that really motivate me.. and wearing glasses. They make me feel smarter, and that i'm in uni HAHA!!! I have strange motivation... :S
9 years, that is a long LONG time, what do u want to do at uni??

-em xx

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Wooz said:
I go to the state library it sux when you can get a table and filling in slips to get books GRRR!!! I use Usyd Fisher and Badham library once a week for Biology Olympiad NQE and Modern History, seeing all the uni students motivates me, also puts me down sometimes > i've gotta look forwards for 9 years of uni and studying in my spare time. And also if you're lucky there are hot uni chicks there LOL!!! :p :p :p
I use to go fisher and state a few times a week in term 1. Didn't find any motivation, as most people do lolz. I stopped going as i realise that once i get really bored, i usually end up going home and consequently not finish what i intented to do.

Primarily what motivates me is just getting into the course i want, making some of my teachers/friends proud and getting awards at the end of the year for course rankings in some of my subjects. But more so it's guilt at the moment lolz.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
hopes you're just like me.

only asian bahahahaha ;)

fisher library ftw! state library is too hard to get to.

oh and its especially motivating at fisher when all the usyd people are on their stuvac. otherwise there can be a lot of bludgers during normal term hours

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
bobness said:
hopes you're just like me.

only asian bahahahaha ;)

fisher library ftw! state library is too hard to get to.

oh and its especially motivating at fisher when all the usyd people are on their stuvac. otherwise there can be a lot of bludgers during normal term hours
haha its not that hard to get to! just get off at st james or martins or just walk through myers on george st. And yeah i remember last time when i went to study, i saw some 30 year old asian dude playing games on his laptop lolz.

Chocolat

HSC
As lame as it sounds...the majority of the subjects that I do (with the exception of Chemistry...) I actually enjoy to a certain extent. As in I find them interesting and stuff...I don't like the assessments or exams gosh no...but yeh they're sort of inevitable! Also...I just have over a year to go until I finish school forever (EEK!). It's strange because just thinking of that makes me so incredibly happy yet depressed at the same time :S...
My only motivation to study for Chemistry assessments is the fact that my notebook for Chem is so pretty!! As in, it's very colourful (I think highlighters are one of the best inventions of mankind!) and my handwriting and diagrams are really neat! Lol...I know that sounds weird but yeh...that's my motivation (and also the slight knowledge that my parentals would shoot me if I even contemplated dropping or failing Chemistry :( haha)

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Chocolat said:
As lame as it sounds...the majority of the subjects that I do (with the exception of Chemistry...) I actually enjoy to a certain extent. As in I find them interesting and stuff...I don't like the assessments or exams gosh no...but yeh they're sort of inevitable! Also...I just have over a year to go until I finish school forever (EEK!). It's strange because just thinking of that makes me so incredibly happy yet depressed at the same time :S...
My only motivation to study for Chemistry assessments is the fact that my notebook for Chem is so pretty!! As in, it's very colourful (I think highlighters are one of the best inventions of mankind!) and my handwriting and diagrams are really neat! Lol...I know that sounds weird but yeh...that's my motivation (and also the slight knowledge that my parentals would shoot me if I even contemplated dropping or failing Chemistry :( haha)
My eco book has fallen apart after having just one page torn out of it. also never pasting in sheets doesn't help.

But chem and bio are neat and pretty, they're the only ones contacted.

Btw, you and Chocolate_lover might just become best friends or mortal enemies, whichever way, welcome to BOS :)

*emi*

HSC
use folders- they are a LOT neater
except when everything gets out of order.. then i just sit and cry haha

-em xx

kloudsurfer

HSC
Ultimately, my motavation for studying is doing well in the HSC which means getting into medicine. If I get into medicine, I can become a doctor and eventually go work for Medicins Sans Frontiers. Just knowing that I can someday have a chance to make a difference in the lives of those who need it the most is enough for me most days.

Other days, I just think about how much I want to beat this girl in my year. Shes incredibly smart, but she is the most selfish, rude, bitchy, shallow, inconsiderate person I have ever met. Im not usually competitive with other people, but she just infuriates me so much.

Oh, and also the GARGOLYES!!!!!!!!
Sydney Uni medical faculty has GARGOYLES!!!!! out the front.

Last edited:

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
kloudsurfer said:
Ultimately, my motavation for studying is doing well in the HSC which means getting into medicine. If I get into medicine, I can become a doctor and eventually go work for Medicins Sans Frontiers. Just knowing that I can someday have a chance to make a difference in the lives of those who need it the most is enough for me most days.

Other days, I just think about how much I want to beat this girl in my year. Shes incredibly smart, but she is the most selfish, rude, bitchy, shallow, inconsiderate person I have ever met. Im not usually competitive with other people, but she just infuriates me so much.

heh thats such a nice motive :)
and yes competition is another motivation lolz.

*emi*

HSC
hahaha she sounds exactly like a girl in my year who i really REALLY want to beat in maths- except she is really really clever :(

-em xx

and GO THE GARGOYLES!! (i (L) gargoyles haha)

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
That's pretty much the motivation of every single accelerated 2 unit maths student in year 11 at the moment in my school, beat the top guy :)Btw, I'm not the top guy in 2 unit maths, did it last year, don't have to do it anymore =)

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
kloudsurfer said:

haha yeah, that's awesome, noble goals are good :)
Mmm, just letting you know, doctors aren't the only people that can change lives dramatically of those who need it most :) I've had those thoughts too, and sometimes when I think about it, it feels as if I want to do med in a selfish way...but yeah, a motive I use is to always be prepared for change, because change occurs everyday.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
m0ofin said:
My eco book has fallen apart after having just one page torn out of it. also never pasting in sheets doesn't help.
All my maths book for the past few years have fallen apart - and without a reason x.x But! This year it's looking good - I've got contact on it - unless it bursts from all those sheets stacked in it. Heh. ... Really can't be bothered and don't think a folder would help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)