what level of maths is required for adv.maths/science paired with commerce? (1 Viewer)

okeee

HSC
N/A
I am currently undertaking year 12 and have been looking at universities. I want to do a commerce degree and was hoping to do a double degree with comp.science/adv math/science with a major in math. I am extremely worried though as i am currently only doing 2-unit mathematics and although i am doing quite well, is it impossible to do math at uni? I have a passion for maths but i am worried that i will struggle with mx1 let alone mx2.
Is my future salvageable?
If 2 unit is not sufficient for comm/adv.math or science, can i do comm/comp.science or will i still struggle?
Are bridging courses recommended?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
In your situation I would recommend a bridging course, or get a tutor who actually did math in uni so he can teach you the parts of MX1/MX2 that you'd need.

A math degree is definitely doable with only 2unit, provided you have a strong grasp of the fundamentals. If your math is only so-so, then just take the normal math stream, as the adv math stream will likely be a struggle. The adv math courses typically have MX1/MX2 as assumed knowledge. While it's fine if you don't know the MX1/MX2 topics, you should at least be someone who is theoretically capable of MX1/MX2.

You can through a science degree just fine with only 2u maths. You don't really need to take the adv math stream, especially if you don't think you're capable. In the end, nobody cares whether you graduated with a normal math or adv math major - "Math is math." (Mr. Incredible, 2018).

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I am currently undertaking year 12 and have been looking at universities. I want to do a commerce degree and was hoping to do a double degree with comp.science/adv math/science with a major in math. I am extremely worried though as i am currently only doing 2-unit mathematics and although i am doing quite well, is it impossible to do math at uni? I have a passion for maths but i am worried that i will struggle with mx1 let alone mx2.
Is my future salvageable?
If 2 unit is not sufficient for comm/adv.math or science, can i do comm/comp.science or will i still struggle?
Are bridging courses recommended?
It might be harder to catch up because the uni courses often assume you know extension 1 as a minimum (well in my experience at UNSW). They still teach the 3 unit stuff again but its very fast meaning if you haven't seen it before it will probably be difficult, but it isn't entirely impossible to not understand it at uni (just means you might not have as much time with other subjects). I would recommend if you have the opportunity do extension 1 maths, it's not as difficult as it seems if you put in the effort you will do well. Importantly though you also need to see what types of subjects that certain major requires you to take. Because I know I am doing an advanced science degree in chemistry, and I have to take all the higher versions of the chemistry subjects, so if you are doing math major might need to take the higher versions (which I am pretty sure assume 4 unit knowledge), which you need to factor into your decision as well

sida1049

HSC
It's possible for you to do well, but chances are, you'll find it very difficult. Keep in mind that first year advanced maths units are for students who have a mastery over 4U maths. There are people who have done 3U or 4U who struggle a lot with first year maths. Second year maths only gets significantly more difficult (e.g. abstract and linear algebra, analysis). Moreover, if you're looking into an advanced maths or science degree at UNSW, then you must do an honours year in mathematics, which is much more challenging than third year for most advanced maths students. So again, while it's possible for you to do well in advanced mathematics, with only 2U knowledge, I wouldn't recommend it.

However, if you instead aim for a normal science degree with a major in mainstream (i.e. non-advanced) maths/stats, I think you should be able to cope just fine (though I'd recommend taking the time during the holidays after the HSC to explore a bit of maths and strengthen your background).

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Appitude is also probably a major factor to consider.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)