what makes james ruse better than other schools?? (1 Viewer)

redw0lf

A Member
HSC
neo_o said:
... in the words of the vice principal "we dont offer remedial classes at James Ruse". What a nice guy! You'll notice that for this reason though, Ruse only ever trumps up its median mark (99.5) this year, not it's MEAN mark :p.
This year. There has been remedial English, Chemistry and Physics lessons, held outside of schooltime.
There is also I believe, a lecture being held first day of term (when everyone else is still on Stuvac) for the option topics in Chem/Phys.

And anyway, Burgess was a student teacher at Ruse in 2003-04.
neo_o said:
1) A terrible executive. The executive are infamous for cutting social activities that they think would tarnish the school's reputation. Axed activities and social stuff include slave day (the last one was held in 1999), the yearbook (with anything like student interviews, student contributions, quotes, funny photos etc strictly prohibited. The executives logic is that because the public school year books are sent off to state parliament house, Ruses image would be tarnished if we looked like... normal people).
Ah... we aren't even allowed to cheer in assemblies any more. Clapping only.

7th Sign

HSC
my cousin goes to james ruse, he is doing his hsc this year,

well what can I say about him...hmm he is this really weird kid who is like more then smart,

he did like one hsc subject in like 2003 or something crazy like that when he was in year 10 and got like 96% in it, for the hsc this year i think he only has like 3 subjects to do or something crazy like that. Bascially he will get a heaps high uai like 99.5 or higher i guess and will kill me but I am different from these kind of kids so i dont really care....well i would like a high uai but I dont want to get into a course at uni where all the kids are totally different from me....that whay I think wollengong uni or western sydney or even tafe are all ok for me ...

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
James Ruse attracts top students from the state as they are the best school in the state. Obviously, top students score best.. simple..

sabdow

HSC
it's funny when i hear "this years james ruse kids are really out going!"

you know it's all bullshit. no matter how hard they try to convince you they have some sort of social life. i know people who go to james ruse, my best friend also has two cousins who go there. they are smart and intelligent at school, but they are really not streetsmart. while they might be able to recite some harder scientic stuff, they struggle to know much about the outside world. they don't even know what happens at parties...

they are not really social from what i can gather, and they are really boring. i can tolerate a lot of people, and i try to make conversation about a lot. but whenever i speak to them over the phone or i see them, its so hard to talk about anything with them unless its to do with school, or reading.
mostly, all they ever talk about with their friends is school work and assignments, and exams. thats what most of the kids' lives revolve around... beating others in rankings. its a sad life from my perspective, because i like outgoing stuff, parties, playing sport, hell even the ps2 and some games can rip it up with your friends. its rewarding for them at the end, though.

i know one kid in year 9 who is forced to study over term 3 holiday breaks (which is right now). he is doing about 2 and a half hours a day. most people in his year are doing it to. year 9, wow.

as for the people i know, the only time they go out is when they have to go for a family occasion.

i can't feel sorry for them because they are obviously happy spending most of their time studying and almost all of it at home and reading, while not doing much other social stuff. they will get what they deserve in uai. and those who don't go as well will be pushed high anyway. less than 10 people get blow 90 in the uai <-- thats a very appealing figure.

they have a good record for the hsc, they also attract the stereotypical highly intelligent people. they don't offer lower subjects to help do this. i dont think the school itself will be beaten for quite some time.

Last edited:

sabdow

HSC
ahh bro

just because you enter high school life and year 10/11/12 doesn't mean you have to put your social life on hold. that is the point im trying to get at. they must sacrifice a lot.

and let me ask you, what is more important when you leave school. streetsmarts, or knowing how to calculate the area under a parabola from the points -1 to 5 on the x axis.

the people i knew were in year 11. they hadnt even started their hsc yet.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Dreamerish*~ said:
Not only is it a selective school, it's the best selective school. By best, I mean the school which has extremely high-achievers.

Apparently the level of pressure, competition and homework are much higher than that of other selective schools, not to mention public schools. Only year 6 students with the best results in the selective school exam are accepted - and don't forget that the top students of other selective schools often leave at year 10 to transfer to James Ruse. In this light, not only do they have the brightest kids fresh from primary school, they also have many of the top students that previously attended other schools until the end of year 10. :)
Yeh they keep kidnapping Baulko students >_>

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I know a few people who go to James Ruse and some of them are people who left from my school to theirs. From my vague knowledge of the types of students at the school I would classify the students into the following groups:
- The real hard working nerdy people who work their butt off for everything to get the good marks
- The naturally talented people who are very smart and gain high marks without much work
- Those who are both of the above
- The ideal stereotypical student who has a balanced life between friends, school and recreation and scores well
- Those who are downright arrogant about their intelligence (I've had bad experiences with such people from primary school tutor)
- Those who are modest about their abilities and capabilities
- Those who don't give a shit at all and are probably dragging the school (probably as a diabolical plot against the school's reputation lol) but not doing a very good job of it

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
borkis04 said:
me and my mate played spot-the-aussie there once :D

neither of us won :(
I saw an aussie chick there and she spoke to me in fluent chinese. I was very wtf when I heard it... It's like.. who said that?!... turned out she is half Chinese but just looks very aussie- but still, man.. that's a tricky trick!

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
a polish guy in my tennis team speaks perfect mandarin which is embarassing since im asian myself and i dont have a word of mandarin in my head. some people are just good at languages.

i really do believe this year's ruse is far more friendlier and social than previous years. these people are geniuses but are just as normal as people from your school.

and to sabdow: i understand what you're getting at but if you think life is all about what happened on saturday night at abdul's fully phat party where it was full of hot chicks and khalid went through the cross-city tunnel in 4.67 secs flat in his fully sick car then you are seriously mistaken.

HSC
I know a Sister/Brother combo
Ruse/Grammar.

They drive around in their peugot listening to classical music pumping.
I tried to generate a conversation about the Wallabies rugby union team, (as i played union with the brother when we were smaller) and the girl goes

"sport is for nitwits"

gold.

The best thing though is that these people can get into uni and whatever but many companies aren't going to hire people who don't have social skills / can't work in a team.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
donn about others but the JRs i know r pretti cool
now apparantly JR stores not onli the brainy ones but also cool guys and hot chik. =D

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
I bet a lot of kids at James Ruse are taking ritalin or other drugs (study pills).

danza108

HSC
redw0lf said:
Because James Ruse does not have "Frees".
They are instead termed "Study Periods".
No General Maths
No English Standard
Then theres
No Business Studies
No Legal Studies
Why? Because Economics scales better than both.
Funny how a 90 in Legal wass worth more than a 90 in Eco last year

P

pLuvia

Hey Bookie, I realised why you said JR isn't good, I understand what you mean, I agree lol :p academically they are good, but everything else they're probably crap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)