What Makes Usyd Law So Good Anyway?! (1 Viewer)

xxJTxx

HSC
Hey everyone..I know I have another thread going in the General University Discussion about the decision between a full fee place at usyd versus a csp place at uts..but I am distinguishing this thread in the fact that it addresses specific advantages of USYD law..that supposedly..give the uni to be the high and mighty of law in australia.

why why why why i ask.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...you-a-law-place/2008/01/17/1200419974170.html

Take a look at that article, particularly the opening paragraphs. Sydney uni's law degree is referenced as 'prestigious'..what makes it so amazing?

If you go to another law school and you have a friend or something that goes somewhere else, have you ever compared anything about each of your educations? I know that sounds lame, but someone explain.

I'm in the current position where I have an offer for USYD DFEE Combined law and UTS CSP Law/Business. I'm honestly considering this literally on money only now..why should USYD get 22k a year off me and put me in debt when i've finished uni?

They are the oldest law school in australia..okay..great..but does that really warrant anything? besides the whole extended alumni network and the whole thing that age creates prestige or whatever. And it can't be the fact that they have exchanges with Harvard..i'm sure only like two or three people get the opportunity to go on that exchange.

please explain! :burn:

T

thegovernator

My sister goes to USYD and does Comm/Law and I go to UTS and do straight law. I've had the advantage of looking through her notes for subjects that I have been completing one semester later and there really doesn't seem to be that much substantive difference in what is taught. HOWEVER, I do know that they don't have lectures - instead they have 2 hour seminars for most of their law subjects as far as I know. Maybe the seminar leaders and professors etc that they have their are more widely regarded as being 'better' in their particular field of expertise.

Who knows?! I'm pretty clueless too.

xxJTxx

HSC
thegovernator said:
My sister goes to USYD and does Comm/Law and I go to UTS and do straight law. I've had the advantage of looking through her notes for subjects that I have been completing one semester later and there really doesn't seem to be that much substantive difference in what is taught. HOWEVER, I do know that they don't have lectures - instead they have 2 hour seminars for most of their law subjects as far as I know. Maybe the seminar leaders and professors etc that they have their are more widely regarded as being 'better' in their particular field of expertise.

Who knows?! I'm pretty clueless too.
Ooo thanks for the input. Yes UNSW does those 'seminar' style things as well. But not UTS. Hrm I dunno if that really matters..i guess its more individual and therefore you'd prob learn more..

To the bogan directly above this post..wtf?

T

thegovernator

UTS does seminars, but not as much emphasis on them. So for an 8cp subject, you might have 2x 2hr lectures and 1x 1hr tute. However, some subjects might be all tutes... torts for example was 2 2 hour tutes a weak.

But I've noticed so far, after a year of law that there is a fairly large emphasis on lectures.

xxJTxx

HSC
brogan77 said:
Um considering I've actually done law at sydney university, i think i'd know.

ignorant fuckstain.
Wow, are all your posts utterly meaningless?

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Because coming from a prestigious uni increases employment opportunities. Then again, it's probably not worth setting yourself back $100,000+

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Omnidragon said:
Then again, it's probably not worth setting yourself back $100,000+
that's why i think a CSP transfer is a nice way of saving yourself some dollars.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
mitsui said:
looks like someone is joining us fight the good fight at UNSW. congratulations. look forward to meeting you. :)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
University of New England > University of Sydney

chronicfootball

Member for Bennelong
HSC
there are plenty of people who hav got the 99.55+ required for law at Usyd who hav chosen instead to go to UTS. my friend works with one. starting out is hard, do u really want a 100k+ debt? of course, when ppl saw "im doing law", some people do ask "at sydney??", but the people that matter know that its not so much where u go as how well u do it

xxJTxx

HSC
chronicfootball said:
there are plenty of people who hav got the 99.55+ required for law at Usyd who hav chosen instead to go to UTS. my friend works with one. starting out is hard, do u really want a 100k+ debt? of course, when ppl saw "im doing law", some people do ask "at sydney??", but the people that matter know that its not so much where u go as how well u do it
ooo yes. good point.
i really do think that if i get some experience while in uni volunteering in community based firms and stuff like that...that would help bridge the gap. nonetheless..i still do intend on working my ass off for a csp transfer.
i just dont think its worth the money anymore. if i was rich, i wouldnt think twice about paying usyd..but because im not..its a different story.
im really over dfee places now..i hope the labor govt. really does phase them out.

Rorix

HSC
chronicfootball said:
Are you for real? You'd have to be retarded to choose UTS over USYD/UNSW if you could get HECS for both.

And if you got 99.55+ you wouldn't have a 100k debt, because you'd be on HECS.

woodentoy

HSC
Frigid said:
looks like someone is joining us fight the good fight at UNSW. congratulations. look forward to meeting you. :)
since you seem to be really hyped about unsw and everything, would you know how plausible a second year transfer into law there from uts law/journalism is (uai: 98.95)? and is that worth it for someone more interested in communications anyway?

i can't believe i'm gay enough to be writing one of these uni vs uni posts. but obviously i am.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
woodentoy said:
since you seem to be really hyped about unsw and everything, would you know how plausible a second year transfer into law there from uts law/journalism is (uai: 98.95)? and is that worth it for someone more interested in communications anyway?
i don't think what i say is 'hyped'. i enjoy what i do, and i tell it the way it is. what incentive is there for me to exaggerate anyway? i'm graduating end of this year.

how plausible on your UAI? very plausible with a D average in first year.

however, i do not know if UNSW even has a journalism major. at the end of the day, it depends on what you want. if you wanna focus on journo, then i think UTS is the better uni. if you wanna focus on law, i reckon UNSW has an edge over UTS.

machine169

Anchorman
HSC
I can't answer the topic question. Going to the College of Law at St Leonards two things have become clear. 1) No matter where you went to uni everyone is getting similar marks 2) you wouldn't be able to tell who went to which uni unless they told you. If you get the chance do Conveyancing and Trust Accounting at uni. I didn't go to a sandstone university but i have been able to land a good job at a good firm in Sydney when i finish my stint at the College.

Demandred

HSC
Sydney Law School has an edge because it has very strong (seemingly exclusive) connections with most of the top tier law firms since most of their partners stems from the university, the same can be said for UNSW Law School.

It is perhaps also the first and oldest law school in Australia, though I wouldn't qualify this with quality, but it does have its effects on people's perceptions and demand.

monzi

HSC
I know someone who obtained their law degree from UWS and now works for Clayton Utz. Mind you, this girl had a D average across her entire degree. Her best friend graduated the same year from USYD Law and missed out on a position at Clayton Utz because she had a pass average.

I just think it's how well you do in your subjects overall, then the university you attend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)